Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good Tasting Cut-Out Sugar Cookies?

Good Tasting Cut-Out Sugar Cookies?

One of the reasons that I never make cut-out sugar cookies is that they just don't taste good. To me, they're hard and dry and taste like cardboard. I've tried a few recipes and just don't like them. I do have one, that is as close to tasting good as I've been able to find. But, I'd like a better tasting one.
    Yesterday I was at Costco and bought Taste of Home's Best Loved Cookies and Bars. There is a recipe for Cream Cheese Cutouts that i'm considering trying, but thought I'd ask first to see if anyone's made these before I waste any more ingredients:

Cream Cheese Cutouts

* 1 cup butter, softened
    * 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
    * 1 cup sugar
    * 1 egg
    * 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    * 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    * 1/4 teaspoon salt
    * FROSTING:
    * 3 cups confectioners' sugar
    * 1/3 cup butter, softened
    * 2 tablespoons milk
    * 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    * Food coloring, optional
    * Assorted sprinkles, optional

In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter, cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture until blended. Cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours or until easy to handle.
    On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with cookie cutters dipped in flour. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375 for 7-8 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool for 1 minute before removing to wire racks.
    In a small mixing bowl, beat frosting ingredients until smooth. Add food coloring if desired. Frost cookies; decorate with sprinkles if desired. Yield: about 7 dozen.

Oh, the other reason I don't make cut-out cookies is that I can not decorate them and have them look pretty (see the other thread).
    "Let food be thy medicine" ~ Hippocrates

I have been using the recipe from the Fannie Farmer Baking book for about 20 years now...I am off to work for the day but I can type it out later if you'd like.
    Adopt a shelter cat!
    www.arascolorado.org

These are my go-to sugar cookies. I like that they are a little different tasting but are very versatile and are excellent for cut outs.

Aunt Jennie's Sugar Cookies

1 C brown sugar
    1 C white sugar
    1 C crisco
    1 C margarine
    2 eggs
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp cream of tartar
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp nutmeg
    1 tsp vanilla
    4 C flour

Cream sugars, shortening, and margarine. Beat in eggs, add remaining ingredients. Chill 15 min or so, roll out on floured surface and cut into shapes. Bake at 350 for 8-10 min.
    “When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed
    door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.”

Helen Keller (1880–1968)

Quote Originally Posted by KAnn View Post
    I have been using the recipe from the Fannie Farmer Baking book for about 20 years now...I am off to work for the day but I can type it out later if you'd like.
    I'd love to have the recipe if you have time.

Quote Originally Posted by LaraW View Post
    These are my go-to sugar cookies. I like that they are a little different tasting but are very versatile and are excellent for cut outs.

Aunt Jennie's Sugar Cookies.BIG SNIP
    I'm going to give these a try. The ingredient proportions are quite a bit different from other cut-out cookie recipes. Are these softer cookies? I don't have any shortening/Crisco, so I'll have to go buy some tomorrow. Thanks for sharing!

From The Fannie Farmer Baking Book, Marion Cunningham

Sugar Cookies

1 Cup (2 sticks) buttter
    3 C flour
    1/2 t baking soda
    1 t salt
    1 C sugar
    2 eggs
    1 T vanilla

Cream butter with electric mixer until consistency of commercial mayonnaise. Add sugar and cream at medium speed for about 2 minutes until soft and almost white. Add eggs and vanilla. Beat at medium speed for about 30 seconds until mixture has the consistency of mashed potatoes. Stop an scrape down sides of bowl. Add mixed dry ingredients slowly and mix on low speed for about 30 seconds. Cover bowl and chill for about 2 hours. Roll dough standard method. Bake in a preheated 375 degree minutes about 12 minutes...watch closely.

I just frost mine with a basic buttercream (powdered sugar, butter, milk and vanilla and food coloring)or I just sprinkle with colored sugar before baking) I love these.
    Adopt a shelter cat!
    www.arascolorado.org

I made a cream cheese cut-out recipe from Southern Living (I think) that I really enjoyed. Need to make it again!

My go-to sugar cookie recipe is a TOH, The Harvest Sugar Cookie. The reason I like this cookie is I think they are excellent with just sugar spinkles and don't need the frosting. Frosting will make a sugar cookie softer (after a couple of hours or even a day). Also, slightly underbake your cookies, just BARELY brown. This recipe is similar to the one posted but I'll post the ingredients anyway:

3/4 cup butter, softened
    1 cup sugar
    2 eggs
    1 t vanilla
    2 3/4 cup flour
    1 t baking powder
    1/2 t salt

Mix in normal manner. Chill dough 1+ hour. Bake 375 for 8-10 minutes.

Joe posted a cookie recipe on your other thread asking about how to frost cutouts.

I think I'm going to try that recipe this year.
    The term "working mother" is redundant.

For our taste, subbing lemon extract for the vanilla makes a better-tasting cookie.
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate Rose View Post
    I'm going to give these a try. The ingredient proportions are quite a bit different from other cut-out cookie recipes. Are these softer cookies? I don't have any shortening/Crisco, so I'll have to go buy some tomorrow. Thanks for sharing!
    Actually, these bake up to be a pretty crispy cookie and are more golden in color than white, like other cookies.

You might also need to bake a bit longer than the 8-10 min that is stated. This recipe was from my mom's great aunt who died around 1980 at the age of 90+. She was an awesome baker and my mom said that she learned a lot about baking from her.

Anyway, the baking time was probably a little loose on the recipe card she wrote.
    “When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed

Helen Keller (1880–1968)

The Alton Brown's or No fail sugar cookie , is great, very tasty; it's one of my favorites. Val also posted another one, which is special for rolling with children, it tastes good too. Both appeared in this board, but I cannot find them! Maybe someone could post the links or the recipes..

Sugar Cookies
    Thanks for the recipe!
    Helene

''In cooking, as in all the arts, simplicity is the sign of perfection.''
    -Curnonsky

My Blog: La Cuisine d'Helene

Twitter: @lacuisinehelene

Sugar Cookies
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodone View Post
    I made a cream cheese cut-out recipe from Southern Living (I think) that I really enjoyed. Need to make it again!

My go-to sugar cookie recipe is a TOH, The Harvest Sugar Cookie. The reason I like this cookie is I think they are
    Hmmm, maybe I'll have to try the cream cheese recipe after all.
    Thanks for the TOH recipe.

Quote Originally Posted by Gracie View Post
    Joe posted a cookie recipe on your other thread asking about how to frost cutouts.

I think I'm going to try that recipe this year.
    I did see that recipe, but the ingredient proportions look like just about any other sugar cookie recipe that I've tried. I really want one that tastes really good, too, and isn't hard and dry.

Did you ever have a chance to try the ones I posted? I'm curious to hear how you liked them (or maybe you didn't )

Helen Keller (1880–1968)

Did you ever have a chance to try the ones I posted? I'm curious to hear how you liked them (or maybe you didn't )
    I haven't yet. But, I did buy Crisco on my way home from work tonight. Now I have everything I need to make them, I just need to get the time.

If you're looking for another recipe to try, here's mine. The sour cream makes for a nice tender cookie. We also like the flavor from the almond extract.

Cutout cookies

1 c butter
    2 c sugar
    3 eggs
    1 c sour cream
    1 tsp almond extract
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp baking powder
    6 c flour

Cream together butter and sugar. Beat in the eggs and sour cream. Slowly add dry ingredients just until mixed in well. Roll out portions of dough to desired thickness being careful not to overwork it. Cut out cookies, place on baking sheet and bake at 350 for about 8 minutes, alternating between lower and upper oven racks. Take them out when the edges just begin to turn golden. Let them set on the cookie sheet for a minute to firm up before removing to a cooling rack. When completely cooled, frost and decorate as desired.

Frosting
    4 c powdered sugar
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/4 c milk
    1 tsp vanilla
    1/3 c butter, softened

Mix well, adding milk or powdered sugar until desired spreading consistency. Add food coloring if desired.
    ~Moneypenny~

lara, I love the taste of the aunt jennie's... just pulled them out of the oven a half hour ago.

though the taste and texture was great, I must have done somehting wrong because they were rather sticky to roll out and cut, and they spread in the oven to the point where you really couldn't see the cookie cutter shape well.

I admit, I used butter and shortening instead of margarine and shortening. so I guess that could have done it. but I wouldn't think that margarine vs butter would cause the dough to roll out easily (which I am assuming it does for you since it is your go to). so I was thinking, maybe aunt jennie scooped and leveled rather than spooned and leveled the flour. I lightly spooned the flour into measuring cups and then leveled. so maybe I used less flour than aunt jennie, causing the dough to be stickier.

also, I should say that I left the dough in the fridge a half hour and even put it in the freezer at one point to try to improve the rolling, but no luck.

anyway, just wondering
    a) have you ever used butter
    b) do you scoop or spoon the flour

I don't doubt that these are great cookies if you do it right!

Here is our family favorite for several generations.... it looks similar to Fannie Farmer with a few variations.

Butter Cookies

1 c. butter
    3/4 c. sugar
    2 eggs
    2 tsp. vanilla
    3 c. flour
    1 tsp. baking powder
    1/4 tsp. salt

Mix well. Chill thoroughly. Roll 1/4 inch thick (if you get too thin or bake too long they will not be soft). Bake at 400 on an ungreased cookie sheet for 5-10 minutes or until very slightly golden brown. I usually bake 6.5 minutes.

I've used a different recipe that had cream cheese in it, and that recipe was excellent. I used it to make cookies for a baby shower. Here is a link to the recipe. It's nearly identical to the one you posted, but I think the baking powder helped make them slightly puffy. I wish I had my other computer so I could send you a photo.
    http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/re...ipe_id=1707430

Quote Originally Posted by valchemist View Post
    lara, I love the taste of the aunt jennie's... just pulled them out of the oven a half hour ago.

though the taste and texture was great, I must have done somehting wrong because they were rather sticky to roll out and cut, and they spread in the oven to the point where you really couldn't see the cookie cutter shape well.

I admit, I used butter and shortening instead of margarine and shortening. so I guess that could have done it. but I wouldn't think that margarine vs butter would cause the dough to roll out easily (which I am assuming it does for you since it is your go to). so I was thinking, maybe aunt jennie scooped and leveled rather than spooned and leveled the flour. I lightly spooned the flour into measuring cups and then leveled. so maybe I used less flour than aunt jennie, causing the dough to be stickier.

also, I should say that I left the dough in the fridge a half hour and even put it in the freezer at one point to try to improve the rolling, but no luck.

anyway, just wondering
    a) have you ever used butter
    b) do you scoop or spoon the flour

I don't doubt that these are great cookies if you do it right!
    No doubt I have used butter, because I don't use margarine. But, now that you mention it, I probably do need to add more flour than what the recipe calls for. Since I spoon and level, I probably do need more. Sorry! It has been a while since I have made these. I may have to mix up a batch tomorrow and pay attention to what i have done! I bet it was last Thanksgiving the last time I made them

I am glad you like them - they have a different taste than other sugar cookies I have had, and I don't know that I have had one quite like it anywhere else.

Helen Keller (1880–1968)

Quote Originally Posted by Mpenny1001 View Post
    If you're looking for another recipe to try, here's mine. The sour cream makes for a nice tender cookie. We also like the flavor from the almond extract.

Cutout cookies
    Thank you! These look good, too!

No doubt I have used butter, because I don't use margarine. But, now that you mention it, I probably do need to add more flour than what the recipe calls for. Since I spoon and level, I probably do need more. Sorry! It has been a while since I have made these. I may have to mix up a batch tomorrow and pay attention to what i have done! I bet it was last Thanksgiving the last time I made them

I am glad you like them - they have a different taste than other sugar cookies I have had, and I don't know that I have had one quite like it anywhere else.
    Val and Lara, thanks for posting all your thoughts on these. I think I'm going to make them next, and it's good to know that they may need more flour.
    Lara, if you do make these soon, please share how you make them.
    TIA

OK, I just mixed these up, and it took 5 1/4 C of flour to get a nice soft yet sturdy, non-sticky dough.

Val, sorry about your trouble! I feel bad - maybe you can add some more flour to this so that your ingredients are not wasted.

Helen Keller (1880–1968)

Great question and good timing!

My go-to recipe has always been the one from Joy of Cooking. They have a good vanilla taste and are extremely tender so you have to keep the dough chilled and handle carefully.

I'm interested in trying some of these others. I have my daughter's friends over several times a year to decorate holiday cookies and we are doing a batch of Halloween cookies after school on Monday. Since they are only six and don't quite have the manual dexterity thing down, we usually end up with broken cookies and tears so I'd love to find something slightly sturdier without giving up flavor and too much tenderness.

-magpie

thanks for testing it out lara. good to know that it wasn't my imagination. I only made a half batch. no dough leftover to add flour to. I will likely try them again soon with the extra 1 1/4 cups of flour. I should have added more flour to the dough when I found it sticky, but with an old family recipe like that, I didn't want to tinker!

Well, I am glad you don't have wasted ingredients - that is a pet-peeve of mine, so I assume everyone feels the same way

I would add that last 1 1/4 C slowly until you get a dough consistency you like.
    Last edited by LaraW; 10-23-2008 at 09:23 AM.

Helen Keller (1880–1968)

Lara-

I made your Aunt Jennie's Sugar Cookies today. I used 5 1/4 c flour and then some on the counter for rolling (no luck with the powdered sugar method) and they were great! Easy to roll and they were crispy and chewy. Nice flavor too. I used about 1/3 of the dough and froze the rest to use later. We all enjoyed them. Thanks for sharing!

I too tried them again with the extra flour. they worked out great! thanks.