Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Holiday Cookies 2008

Talking Holiday Cookies 2008

I know it's early but I am really feeling the need to discuss cookies! Cookie magazines are appearing and while I am trying not to buy new ones this year (Fine Cooking Cookies is tempting me every day), I am already contemplating the T&T that I will repeat and some new ones as always. Is anyone thinking holiday cookies yet?
    Adopt a shelter cat!
    www.arascolorado.org

Yes I am. I also have a Cookie Exchange in December.

I would love to buy more Cookies Mag but I have so many from previous years. So hard to go to the Grocery Store and not buying a Cookie Mag or a Holiday Mag.
    Helene

''In cooking, as in all the arts, simplicity is the sign of perfection.''
    -Curnonsky

My Blog: La Cuisine d'Helene

Twitter: @lacuisinehelene

i finally gave in today and bought the fine cooking one. our cooking club has a cookie exchange and contest every year. we all start scouring magazines and cookbooks early to win the grand prize! i looked through the fine cooking a little bit today and it has some really great looking cookies in it - i'm always looking for something a little different. i think i am definitely planning on making the caramel turtle bars. yum!

I gave in and also bought the Fine Cooking one...at Costco so at least it was 30% off the cover price. I stood there looking at it page by page and saw so many recipes that upon a glance sounded good that I had to have it!

Sheila in MD

Given that I could do a cookie thread every month--which is not a bad idea, btw--this is not too soon for me.

I just made my first marshmallows (granted not cookies) for the season for Josie's bday. I did creamy crushed peppermint and Cayenne Chocolate. Gave it to her with hot chocolate (the real stuff, sipping chocolate) and Giada's new book.

I also just made peanut butter chocolate chip cookies that were not very holiday-ish but awfully tasty.
    -Laura

Muffins are for people who don't have the 'nads to order cake for breakfast.
    --Seth, "Kitchen Confidential" (the show, not the book)

www.thespicedlife.com/

I'm curious to hear what everyone picks out as their favorites to try.....I'm hosting another cookie exchange this year, so need to come up with something new to try!

Jessica

Quote Originally Posted by Sheila in MD View Post
    I gave in and also bought the Fine Cooking one...at Costco so at least it was 30% off the cover price. I stood there looking at it page by page and saw so many recipes that upon a glance sounded good that I had to have it!

Sheila in MD
    I am still waiting for my Costco to get this one. They are so slow and I am so impatient
    All That's Left Are The Crumbs

"You can never do a kindness too soon, because you never know how soon it will be too late"

"Great minds talk about ideas; small minds talk about people" - Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by jessicacoy View Post
    I'm curious to hear what everyone picks out as their favorites to try.....I'm hosting another cookie exchange this year, so need to come up with something new to try!

Jessica
    I also picked up the Fine Cooking one at Costco, and I am dying to try their Lemon-Lime Butter Wafers, Orange Poppyseed Cookies and Coffee Thins. And Alice Medrich's Chocolate Souffle Cookies. Boy that last one probably needs to be tried year round, at any time possible. Especially seeing as it only last 2-3 days (according to the notes) so it probably is not the best Holiday cookie. During the Holidays I like ones that last a little longer.
    -Laura

www.thespicedlife.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ljt2r View Post
    I just made my first marshmallows (granted not cookies) for the season for Josie's bday. I did creamy crushed peppermint and Cayenne Chocolate. Gave it to her with hot chocolate (the real stuff, sipping chocolate) and Giada's new book.

I'm jealous of Josie! Can I be your sister, too?

Did you buy the hot chocolate or make that too? Have a recipe if you did? I just looking at the hot cocoa mixes I have, and let's just that a result of Pollan, Planck, and Nestle reading I've done there is NO WAY I can ingest that stuff. I have one packet of a Starbucks cocoa that is permissable, as I can read/identify all the ingredients.

I would love to make my own marshmallows, but don't trust my stove. Or my candy thermometer. And I don't have enough room or time to make it happen right now. Someday, though.
    Erin

"Eating peanut butter is a sacred act, not to be defiled by pork or its substitutes."

-generic

New favorite bumper sticker: "Go Green. Recycle Yourself. Become an Organ and Tissue Donor."

Quote Originally Posted by ErinM View Post
    I would love to make my own marshmallows, but don't trust my stove. Or my candy thermometer. And I don't have enough room or time to make it happen right now. Someday, though.
    Marshmallows are actually much easier than you might think. I have made several batches and the hardest part for me is getting the sticky mass from my mixer bowl to the pan. Other than that, not a problem!

Given that I could do a cookie thread every month--which is not a bad idea, btw--

You know, I think that is a great idea, actually!

I just ordered Tish Boyle's The Good Cookie from Amazon (used) and I am looking through my Martha Stewart cookie magazines and others...I always do the molasses crinkle cookies I posted in another thread and sugar cookies (Fannie Farmer) and then it varies year to year...lots of time to decide...I just love the planning. I also will be baking for a fundraising bake sale in early December and I need to decide on that, too.
    Adopt a shelter cat!
    www.arascolorado.org

Erin: the only hot chocolate that I personally will eat is simply grated chocolate. I did not make it, I am too lazy to grate all of that chocolate, but anyway I don't like cocoa so it pretty much simplifies it for me. As to making the marshmallows, Jessica is right, it is easier than you think, BUT you must have a very heavy duty mixer. That is the part that always makes me nervous, mostly because my mom's KA did blow out just from kneading too stiff of bread. Bread you can at least pause and then continue--the marshmallows you must keep going for up to 13 mins depending on the recipe (or maybe longer, 13 is the longest I have done) on high, and it can get rather stiff toward the end.

KAnn:I recently bought Boyle's book used. So far I have been happy with it, although I have not actually used it yet. Not really a comment on it, I have plenty bookmarked, but I have lots of options for cookies in my cookbook repertoire. What I really want is her cake book.

New Year's Resolution come January: monthly CLBB cookie thread!
    -Laura

www.thespicedlife.com/

Quote Originally Posted by KAnn View Post
    Is anyone thinking holiday cookies yet?
    I just bought Martha's holiday magazine (why, I have no idea), so--yes! I have so little time to spend in the kitchen these days with another little one underfoot (plus work and house-hunting), I am going to have to be ruthless with my choices and very disciplined to get anything at all made this year. But that doesn't mean I won't dream of doing everything!

Quote Originally Posted by veschke View Post
    I just bought Martha's holiday magazine (why, I have no idea),
    Is Martha's magazine a cookie magazine or a gneral baking magazine? She's only had 2 cookie magazines in the last several years and I would be all over that one.

I also have every cookie magazine ever made - except for that duplicate one BH&G put out a couple of years ago - since the 90's but I still cannot resist buying the new ones (assuming they are new!) each year.
    The term "working mother" is redundant.

New Year's Resolution come January: monthly CLBB cookie thread!
    Why wait?! I started one today and called it: October Cookie Thread

Please add whatever you have made recently!
    "I can read and write if that's what you mean. I'm not thick or anything just don't ask me where the commas go."
    Incendiary by Chris Cleave

So, a few years ago I went to a cookie exchange and had the amazing sweet coffee cracker. I've lost the recipe, but the base of it was those rectangular butter crackers and then you put melted butter, sugar and some sort of nut onto the crackers and baked it...I've lost the recipe. Does anyone have something that sounds similar???
    Terri _A
    I'm anal retentive. I'm a workaholic. I have insomnia. And I'm a control freak. That's why I'm not married. Who could stand me?” -Madonna

Read my ramblings about food and my nutty life on A Girl in the South!

Quote Originally Posted by Terri_A View Post
    So, a few years ago I went to a cookie exchange and had the amazing sweet coffee cracker. I've lost the recipe, but the base of it was those rectangular butter crackers and then you put melted butter, sugar and some sort of nut onto the crackers and baked it...I've lost the recipe. Does anyone have something that sounds similar???
    Oh my gosh, my grandma used to make those! I forgot all about them....I'm curious to see if someone has the recipe too.

ETA: There are a bunch of recipes if you google "saltine toffee". I'd love it if someone posts one that is T and T.
    Last edited by jessicacoy; 10-21-2008 at 02:07 PM. Reason: more info

Quote Originally Posted by jessicacoy View Post
    Marshmallows are actually much easier than you might think. I have made several batches and the hardest part for me is getting the sticky mass from my mixer bowl to the pan. Other than that, not a problem!
    Erin: the only hot chocolate that I personally will eat is simply grated chocolate. I did not make it, I am too lazy to grate all of that chocolate, but anyway I don't like cocoa so it pretty much simplifies it for me. As to making the marshmallows, Jessica is right, it is easier than you think, BUT you must have a very heavy duty mixer. That is the part that always makes me nervous, mostly because my mom's KA did blow out just from kneading too stiff of bread. Bread you can at least pause and then continue--the marshmallows you must keep going for up to 13 mins depending on the recipe (or maybe longer, 13 is the longest I have done) on high, and it can get rather stiff toward the end.
    I've got the mixer...it's just in storage. No place to put it, and too heavy for me to lift to use. Mom's got my old one at home...I'll think about it when I go there!
    Erin

"Eating peanut butter is a sacred act, not to be defiled by pork or its substitutes."

-generic

New favorite bumper sticker: "Go Green. Recycle Yourself. Become an Organ and Tissue Donor."

Quote Originally Posted by ErinM View Post
    I've got the mixer...it's just in storage. No place to put it, and too heavy for me to lift to use. Mom's got my old one at home...I'll think about it when I go there!
    You absolutely should. I was very nervous when I first tried--for SGOTW/and my DH's bday. I even asked my MIL to come stay with us and watch the kids bc I was so nervous of them being in the kitchen with all that boiling sugar. But now I just whip them up without thinking much about it. I even lifted the kids up to watch the color change in the sugar.
    -Laura

www.thespicedlife.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Terri_A View Post
    I have one that was my grandmother's...I will post it when I get home-I'm working this evening.
    Adopt a shelter cat!
    www.arascolorado.org

Quote Originally Posted by Gracie View Post
    Is Martha's magazine a cookie magazine or a gneral baking magazine? She's only had 2 cookie magazines in the last several years and I would be all over that one.
    Her holiday homemade gifts one -- some baking, lots of other crafty things that I will never be organized enough to do in a million years, but keep reading about anyway.

For those who have gotten the Tish Boyle The Good Cookie book, the salted peanut bar cookies are excellent - I always get rave remarks when I make those. Also, the white chocolate key lime bars are very good (so I've been told, I don't really like lime), but they are a pain to cut as they get kind of gloppy. I have a friend that asks me to make those a lot.
    Terri

I just made my first marshmallows (granted not cookies) for the season for Josie's bday. I did creamy crushed peppermint and Cayenne Chocolate. .
    Laura, your marshmallows sound wonderful. I'd love to have the recipes if it wouldn't be too much trouble.

For anyone interested in the Martha Stewart Holiday mags mentioned in another post, I received these coupons in my email the other day. Here is the link: http://f.chtah.com/i/27/2068423130/H...ngsCoupons.pdf

la

I saw the Taste of Home holiday cookie mag at Winn Dixie the other night and despite the electric blue cover, the photos inside look fabulous. I had to resist temptation just because I can't justify $10 for a mag right now, but it's going to be hard :/
    "Comfy? I'm chained in a bathtub drinkin' pig's blood from a novelty mug. Doesn't rank huge in the Zagut's Guide."

- Spike, "Something Blue"

My lil site:
    http://greysangel.wordpress.com

I have been a bad girl this year. So far I have purchased the following:

Fine Cooking's Cookies
    BHG's Christmas Cookies
    Paula Deen's Holiday Baking
    BHG's Holiday Baking
    TOH's Best-Loved Cookies and Bars

Of course, I have the BHG Cookies dating back to the late 90s too, as well as lots of the Land O Lakes ones (and countless cookie cookbooks -- there are never enough cookies!).

At any rate, I haven't even THOUGHT about what to bake this year! You all are inspiring me to start organizing my baking desires!

Laura- buy me that Fine Cooking Cookies magazine the next time you are at Costco xoxo

Erin- You should want to be adopted. The marshmallows are freaking amazing! I actually even have eaten some of the cayenne chocolate ones on their own they are so yummy (instead of in sipping chocolate which is how I typically prefer them).

I haven't even thought about holiday cookies yet- mostly because I have become so obsessed with pondering homemade canned goods for holiday gifts I just went to the fabric store today to buy holiday fabric to make little decorative lids... I am such a nerd.
    - Josie

Quote Originally Posted by luvtocook View Post
    Laura, your marshmallows sound wonderful. I'd love to have the recipes if it wouldn't be too much trouble.

For anyone interested in the Martha Stewart Holiday mags mentioned in another post, I received these coupons in my email the other day. Here is the link: http://f.chtah.com/i/27/2068423130/H...ngsCoupons.pdf

la
    Here is the main recipe, I typed it up for sgotw waaaay back. When I have time I promise I will type up the variations, if I forget please just bug me again.
    -Laura

www.thespicedlife.com/

Here is the main recipe, I typed it up for sgotw waaaay back. When I have time I promise I will type up the variations, if I forget please just bug me again.
    Thanks so much, Laura! I'll remember to bug you because I'm really interested in the flavors you mentioned!

la

I'll bug you, too. Will you give the variations their own thread, so we're sure not to miss it?

And how did you make that sipping chocolate? (Pretty please? )
    If you're afraid of butter, use cream. ~~ Julia Child

As you cook, you enjoy omniscience about food that no amount of label reading can match. Having retaken control of the meal from the food scientists, you know exactly what is in it. (Unless you start w/cream of mushroom soup, in which case all bets are off.) To reclaim control over one's food, to take it back from industry & science, is no small thing; indeed, in our time, cooking from scratch qualifies as subversive. ~~ Michael Pollan

Quote Originally Posted by testkitchen45 View Post
    And how did you make that sipping chocolate? (Pretty please? )

I can answer this one She bought Dolfin Les Copeaux 77% cacao Hot Chocolate mix and gave it to me

- Josie