Community Message Boards

Thread: What do YOU serve with pinto beans

What do YOU serve with pinto beans

Ever since a March trip to New Orleans, we've been having some kind of beans on Mondays. It started out with weekly red beans and rice, just like they do it in nola, but over time, we've branched out. I made pinto beans and cornbread a couple weeks ago, and my kids LOVED the beans, but were lukewarm about the very plain cornbread.

Pinto beans are back on the menu today, but I can't decide what to serve with them. I either need to spruce of my cornbread offerings or come up with something different.

So, I was wondering, what do you serve with pinto beans?

Thanks!
    Robyn
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day. ~E.B. White

How about quesadillas?
    Go for it!

I do not like pinto beans, but my parents and their siblings grew up on them and love them!

They like them with cornbread, fried potatoes, and ham.

Fried potatoes: diced potatoes, onion, cooked in a bit of oil into soft and browned. I always liked the browned parts best myself.
    Jennifer

And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.
    --Abraham Lincoln

Write it on your heart that everyday is the best day of the year.
    --Emerson

We are having beans tonight too, but black beans! I brown ground beef with onions and cooks some white rice and put out a buffet of sorts...rice, beans, beef with onions and grated cheddar cheese.....and we call it a complete meal!
    Terri _A
    I'm anal retentive. I'm a workaholic. I have insomnia. And I'm a control freak. That's why I'm not married. Who could stand me?” -Madonna

Read my ramblings about food and my nutty life on A Girl in the South!

If it's Pinto Beans then we HAVE to have cornbread, coleslaw, pickles and onions.

The coleslaw is not traditional, its cabbage, dill pickles, pepperocinis and a bit of mayo . Then sweet and dill pickles are chopped up along with onion and sprinkled on top of the Pinto Beans.

It's a southern thing passed down from DH's ggm. I know it might sound a bit strange, but trust me it grow on you

I posted recently about a great meal of pinto beans with TerryTX's Drive Your Neighbors Nuts Chicken - perfect combo!
    Maybe seasoned, grilled skirt steak and tortillas?
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Any kind of barbeque or TexMex.

I love the beans and cornbread thing too....and, of course, pintos make a great refried bean. I also like a bowl of whole pinto beans topped with some diced avocado, tomatoes, onions and grated cheddar cheese. In fact, that's on my upcoming menu!

Thanks for all the ideas. We ended up trying another cornbread recipe, and this time I sort of sweetened/moistened it up with some cream-style corn. The girls liked it way better than the dry, basic corn bread I made last time.

I like my beans with a little grated sharp cheddar and some chopped onions. But I never thought of avocado. YUM!!!
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day. ~E.B. White

Robyn - do you have a good red beans and rice recipe? Or is that one of those things that doesn't require a recipe? (I can't believe I've never cooked red beans and rice).

Quote Originally Posted by leightx View Post
    Robyn - do you have a good red beans and rice recipe? Or is that one of those things that doesn't require a recipe? (I can't believe I've never cooked red beans and rice).
    We have a GREAT recipe. It's called Ragin' Cajun Petite Red Beans and Rice mix and you can get it at HEB. It's basically a bag of beans and a spice packet.

Honestly, I've tried a hundred different recipes, and I like this mix better than any of them. The only things is the instructions tell you to cook it for 2 1/2 hours or something, but that's a crock. It takes 3 or 4 to get them to the right consistency--where the bean juice turns to bean gravy.

(Wow. I'm surprised how embarrassed I am to admit to using a mix. I actually considered LYING!)

And I'm actually relieved that I can pick this up tomorrow on my weekly run to HEB - I could really use an easy "recipe" right about now!

Well, be sure to pick up some smoked sausage (we use smoked turkey sausage and put it in at the very end--just to warm through) and some good long grain rice (Texmati)!

It's definitely an easy meal.

(We love their pintos, too. So easy, and so cheap. I'm telling you, if you can get away with it, Monday night bean night is BRILLIANT!)

We like to make a layered (or mixed) dish of pintos, chopped onions, tomato, peppers, and cheese seasoned with garlic, oregano, and cumin (baked till hot) and use it as a dip/topping for arepas (corn tortillas would work in a pinch). Served with a green salad it is a simple meal but very filling.
    Anne

In my opinion, the best Red Beans & Rice mix is Tony Chachere's by FAR!
    Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. . .