Community Message Boards

Thread: how long will apple cider last?

how long will apple cider last?

I bought a half-gallon of pasteurized apple cider the other day, planning to make the pork, potatoes & apples recipe that was posted here a while back. Now it doesn't look like I'll be making that dish until the middle of next week, but boy do I want to warm up some of that cider and drink it tonight! Will the opened container still be okay a week or so from now?

Quote Originally Posted by blrn1 View Post
    I bought a half-gallon of pasteurized apple cider the other day, planning to make the pork, potatoes & apples recipe that was posted here a while back. Now it doesn't look like I'll be making that dish until the middle of next week, but boy do I want to warm up some of that cider and drink it tonight! Will the opened container still be okay a week or so from now?
    You could always freeze the unused apple cider. That's what I did with half of mine. It tastes just as good out of the freezer and you don't have to worry about spoilage!

If you put the container in the freezer, but sure to drink enough of it to allow plenty of room for expanding in the freezer. Or pour it off into smaller containers and leave some head room. I learned the hard way that frozen cider that bursts out of the container makes an icky sticky mess in the freezer.
    my personal chef service: Anastasia's Table Personal Chef Service

Quote Originally Posted by PattiA View Post
    If you put the container in the freezer, but sure to drink enough of it to allow plenty of room for expanding in the freezer. Or pour it off into smaller containers and leave some head room. I learned the hard way that frozen cider that bursts out of the container makes an icky sticky mess in the freezer.
    Or freeze them in ice cube trays. Then you can portion out what you need for later use.

Freezing it is a good idea! It's not something I buy often (even this time of year). Is it odd that it doesn't have a "use by" date on it?

longer than milk

Every fall I polish off a 1/2 gallon (or more...) of cider by myself. I really think it will keep longer than your average milk container -definitely a couple weeks. Make some apple sauce, too, while you've got it!

Quote Originally Posted by waldobmp View Post
    Every fall I polish off a 1/2 gallon (or more...) of cider by myself. I really think it will keep longer than your average milk container -definitely a couple weeks. Make some apple sauce, too, while you've got it!

especially as it's the pasteurized kind! and when it goes, it will become fremented and vinegary and usuable for that pork dish first!