Community Message Boards

Thread: Couple's Shower: a 2pm gift. Ideas, anyone?

Couple's Shower: a 2pm gift. Ideas, anyone?

Hi all you creative people! My BF and I have been invited to a couple's shower (they are doing this in lieu of a bridal shower) and they are going with a "Round the Clock" theme. They assigned all of the guests a time of day and we are to bring a gift that would be appropriate for that time of day. (ie: 8am=waffle iron, or coffee pot or 5pm= martini shaker or wine glasses). We were given 2pm. I have a few ideas but I thought I'd post and see what kind of ideas you could help me come up with. Everyone here has such cute ideas for parties and other get-togethers. I'd appreciate any feedback.

This shower has gotten me thinking, because I will soon be planning a bridal shower for my best friend. What kinds of showers did some of you have? Does anyone feel like sharing? Did any of you have a couples shower in addition to/instead of a bridal shower? Would love to hear some creative themes/ideas.

Thanks for any help!

Kim

Hi Kim -

At a shower I attended this year, the hostess had a great idea for keeping track of gifts received. She prepared on her computer a spreadsheet listing each guest's name and address, along with a space to write a description of their gift. The spreadsheet was given to a friend of the bride's during the shower, and she recorded the gifts next to the giver's name on the sheet. The bride then took the spreadsheet home and had all of the information needed to write thank-you notes. It was especially nice in this case, as the guests were mostly friends of the groom's mother, whom the bride did not previously know.

It's also nice to have someone take photos at the shower, to put in a little album and give to the bride/groom later.

Have fun!
    Last edited by KathrynY; 08-03-2001 at 08:45 AM.

Hey Kim,

I am not good at this kind of stuff, but when I read your post I had a thought. Perhaps 2 p.m. could be nap time - maybe you could get something like eye pillows (the awesome herb stuffed ones) or nice pillow cases, or even a CD of soothing music. I don't know. Or maybe 2 p.m. could be massage time...there are a lot of things you could do there.

Like I said, I am not that creative, but I figured I would help get the ball rolling. Good luck.

Oh, as for my shower, it was pretty standard. One thing that my sister (my MOH) did that was great was to take a picture of me with each of my guests - I enclosed a copy with the thank you cards and I think my friends liked that. (Note: make sure the bride buys cards that are large enough to enclose a 4x6 picture).

Maybe 2 pm is picnic time, especially on summer weekends? Get a picnic basket or a cooler and fill it with cute stuff. Or BBQ stuff--lots of people seem to register for BBQ/grilling utensils.

As for my shower, it was normal--thrown by my two best friends and with only women in attendance. I always thought that a couples shower sounded like lots of fun. Mine did not have a theme, but we did play two games. One was the old 'how well do you know the bride and groom' quiz and the other was gift bingo--you fill in a card with potential gifts and then mark them off when they are received until someone gets bingo. Kind of fun.

Hope some of this helps.

Maybe cookbooks -- to help plan that night's dinner? Or a beautiful tea pot -- my sister got a gorgeous tea set at her shower. Of course, it's not something she uses a lot, but it looks great! Or a toaster oven for a mid-afternoon snack? Or a blender for a mid-afternoon (weekend only of course ) margarita?

One shower that I had, and a kind that I have attended a couple of times is a holiday shower. Each guest is assigned a holiday and brings a gift that reflects that holiday. You can do wrapping if it works and you can't find a gift that is appropriate for the holiday (sometimes its hard to find Christmas stuff in the summer!)

ANother that I went to for my sister was each guest was sent 2 recipe cards and then we brought 2 of our favorite recipes and at the shower we went around and said why we picked those two. It was really funny for people who didn't cook and brought recipes for things like a Grilled Cheese Sandwich and such.

I second the picnic idea. A picnic basket filled with goodies would be a great way to spend the afternoon.

My DH and I had a couples shower in addition to a tradional women-only shower with my family. I live far away from most of the family, so I had a "regular" shower there (with gifts that we had registered for) and then we had a couples/friends shower in the town where we live. The theme was wine since we both love it. We got all sorts of goodies -- wine books, bottles of wine, wine charms, etc. It was A LOT of fun. I'm really glad we did it! Good luck with the planning.

I knew I could count on this BB! So many cute ideas!

Catharine- I love the naptime idea! Eye pillows, nice pillowcases- what a neat idea! It's perfect for this particular friend too, because she was well known in college for her lengthy afternoon siestas!

Beth- I like your picnic basket idea. That was one of the ideas that I came up with, too. And, of course, how could I go wrong with your cookbook idea!

It's great to read about all your bridal shower experiences! Thanks for sharing, everyone!

Don't stop now! I'm getting inspired~

I can't think of any idea for 2:00 p.m., but you all are so creative! When my friends planned my shower, they gave each guest a month, and they had to buy something that fit in with that time of year. For March, I received some beautiful beer steins and green food coloring in honor of St. Patrick's Day. August was an ice cream maker and sundae dishes, Thanksgiving was all the accessories needed to make Thanksgiving dinner including a carving board and those frilly little paper socks for the turkey!
    Anyway, it was a lot of fun, and I found out I have a creative group of friends.

Seems like 2 p.m. could be tea time. Maybe a tea pot, mugs and some assorted teas?

It would also be a good time for an ice cream social. I'm thinking ice cream maker or something like parfait glasses with assorted sundae toppings.

When I first read your post about 2pm, I also thought naptime. Alas, that has already been suggested. Another thought is, somewhat like naptime, late afternoon is just general relaxation time, so you could be napping or reading, or whatever. How about a nice small reading lamp and a new bestseller.
    "I may be going to hell in a bucket, but at least I'm enjoying the ride"

I'm probably too late, but here's my .02...
    How about catering a bit more to the groom? I'm guessing he'll feel a bit out of place opening all these "girly" gifts. How about a gift 'basket' made of car washing stuff? You could put soap, Armor All, a big sponge, etc. in a car washing bucket. Could be a more masculine gift that he might appreciate.

If you're still looking for shower ideas, I just remembered another one. I didn't attend this shower, but thought the idea was fun. It was a "spice shower" - each guest was asked to bring a favorite spice, along with a recipe or two using the spice, and perhaps a cooking utensil used in the recipe as well. The hostess coordinated who was bringing which spice to avoid duplications. The hostess also gave the bride a recipe folder/card file to hold the recipes.

I only have one new idea for a 2pm gift. Would that be beach time? You could get them really nice beach towels or a beach tote, a beach umbrella, those short beach chairs, or any combination of the above. (Actually, I like the nap and/or massage ideas a lot too!)

I planned a couples shower for some friends once, and we were facing the dilemna that almost all the items on these friends' registry had already been purchased by their overzealous families. So instead of having the guests each bring gifts, we had them each pitch in money ahead of time. We then bought them gifts for enjoying an evening together after the honeymoon. I'm not sure if I remember EVERYTHING we got them, but there were candles, bubblebath, a relaxing CD, a gift certificate to their favorite nice restaurant, movie theatre gift certificates, and a gift certificate for a night at a Bed & Breakfast. Everyone really had a great time at the shower, and I know the couple really enjoyed their gifts.

The one shower someone had for me was rather standard, but the thing I liked most was that they did it at someone's home. They had been talking about doing it at a restaurant to be more classy, but I didn't care so much about that. We decided to have it at my sister-in-law's house, where we could be relaxed and stay as long as we wanted. If we had been at a restaurant, we wouldn't have mingled as much, and it wouldn't have felt as "homey". It was definitely a females only party, because my husband said he wouldn't come anywhere near anything even faintly resembling a bridal shower. But I had several nieces there (at the time they were ages 7 on down to about 1), and they had a great time bringing me the presents, wearing the bows in their hair, etc.

Have fun planning the shower for your friend. My best piece of advice is to gear it toward her personality, and don't try to make it what everyone else expects. If she's happy (and you're happy), that's what counts!

We had some close friends who insisted they did not want a shower from us. However, we wanted an excuse to throw a party! tee hee! Anyway, it was small and intimate (6 couples) and we made it a "bar" shower. We stocked their bar. We assigned each couple an alcoholic beverage (i.e. vodka, gin, tequila, etc.) and each couple had to come up with the "supplies and accessories" for their chosen beverage. The cutest was tequila. They stocked up for margarita's (OLE!) as well as a Jimmy Buffet CD! Anyway, it was a lot of fun and the couple appreciated it for their future entertaining!

P.S. Just wanted you to know we are all mostly wine drinkers. Not much of the heavy stuff for us, but it was still fun!
    All I need to know in life I learned in Kindergarden!

We had some close friends who insisted they did not want a shower from us. However, we wanted an excuse to throw a party! tee hee! Anyway, it was small and intimate (6 couples) and we made it a "bar" shower. We stocked their bar. We assigned each couple an alcoholic beverage (i.e. vodka, gin, tequila, etc.) and each couple had to come up with the "supplies and accessories" for their chosen beverage. The cutest was tequila. They stocked up for margarita's (OLE!) as well as a Jimmy Buffet CD! Anyway, it was a lot of fun and the couple appreciated it for their future entertaining!

P.S. Just wanted you to know we are all mostly wine drinkers. Not much of the heavy stuff for us, but it was still fun!
    All I need to know in life I learned in Kindergarden!

Sorry, no new ideas for 2 pm - but I really like some of the ideas here!

My wedding shower was pretty standard as well, but I had a really wonderful time. One thing that made it extra-special for me was that it was a surprise. I'm usually a control freak and have to handle every detail myself, but this was a total surprise for me and it made the whole thing so much more special. There's something so nice about knowing that the people who love you went to so much trouble to put together something you would enjoy without your knowing about it! A friend of mine pretty much completely planned both of her showers, and I thought there was really something missing. It's just not the same (and nowhere near as much fun for the bride, IMHO!!)

Anyway, I've seen a few cute ideas for showers that might be useful. At one, everyone was asked to bring (in addition to their "regular gift") a pantry item - spaghetti, oil, flour, sugar, etc. The couple were both living at home so I thought it was a really great idea - they got a "pantry starter kit"! At another shower, everyone was asked to bring a recipe, then the hostess used a digital camera to take a picture of each guest at the shower. She put together a beautiful cookbook - each person at the shower got a page, with their recipe as well as their picture on it. I was also at a shower this weekend with a cute gift idea - a garlic pressed wrapped up, decorated with a three-pack of garlic, plus a Costco-sized package of Clorets! It got a big laugh.