Community Message Boards

Thread: Life on Mars - is anyone else watching?

Life on Mars - is anyone else watching?

I've been catching up with the episodes online, and really enjoy it so far. I'm intrigued so far, and love the interaction between Sam and Ray and Gene, even though I think Keitel might be a little too old to be believable in this role (but I still like him).

DD and I have watched a couple of episodes. I can't say it's a 'must-see' for me, but it's fun, and takes up some tivo time!
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

I TIVO'ed it and watched the first two episodes.

What I am enjoying most is the fantastic reproduction of NYC in 1973 -- I hate when something isn't accurate -- i.e. music played that wasn't from the year being depicted.
    Some days I pray for Silence, Some days I pray for Soul,
    Some days I just pray to the God of Sex and Drums and Rock 'N' Roll.

Meatloaf

I LOVED the BBC miniseries this is based on.

The US spinoff is just OK. I really don't like Harvey Keitel as Gene. If you had seen the original Gene you would understand.

Also Michael Imperioli will always be "Christofuh" to me no matter how much facial hair they give him

One thing about the miniseriries is it when it needed to be ended. There was a sequel mini-series called Ashes to Ashes that was also really good.

I'm not sure how they're going to drag out the US series over a few seasons without boring the audience to death.
    Visit my blog at http://www.theglobalkitchen.blogspot.com/
    "A gourmet who thinks of calories is like a tart who looks at her watch."

James Beard

I also really liked the original BBC series. Have recorded this version but have yet to watch any episodes.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

I've seen a few episodes & find it intriguing . . . but I'd rather watch Chuck. Haven't had time to watch much of anything this fall.
    If you're afraid of butter, use cream. ~~ Julia Child

As you cook, you enjoy omniscience about food that no amount of label reading can match. Having retaken control of the meal from the food scientists, you know exactly what is in it. (Unless you start w/cream of mushroom soup, in which case all bets are off.) To reclaim control over one's food, to take it back from industry & science, is no small thing; indeed, in our time, cooking from scratch qualifies as subversive. ~~ Michael Pollan

Quote Originally Posted by KristiB View Post
    I LOVED the BBC miniseries this is based on.

The US spinoff is just OK. I really don't like Harvey Keitel as Gene. If you had seen the original Gene you would understand.

Also Michael Imperioli will always be "Christofuh" to me no matter how much facial hair they give him

One thing about the miniseriries is it when it needed to be ended. There was a sequel mini-series called Ashes to Ashes that was also really good.

I'm not sure how they're going to drag out the US series over a few seasons without boring the audience to death.
    I agree with you 1,000%. The BBC original was so much better. The actor who played Gene, a British actor by the name of Philip Glenister, was absolutely perfect for the part. Harvey Keitel, not so much (and don't get me wrong, I love HK). I also agree that you can't just drag this out forever. I think it will really become boring. We missed Ashes to Ashes. Maybe it will show up again some day. Same cast?

la

I have the benefit of having not seen the original and I am really enjoying it so far. It helps that I LOVE Jason O'Mara.
    -Laura

Muffins are for people who don't have the 'nads to order cake for breakfast.
    --Seth, "Kitchen Confidential" (the show, not the book)

www.thespicedlife.com/

Quote Originally Posted by KristiB View Post
    The US spinoff is just OK.
    For somebody who was swearing off the "boob tube" here a couple weeks ago, Kristi, it looks like you're losing the battle, given this and your "Chuck" viewing, since neither is exactly Masterpiece Theater.

The show is decent enough, though I'd probably forget it if I didn't have it on series record.

Not to be disregarded: I think Jason O'Mara is just smokin'. I know he's Irish, but the appeal is not unlike Russell Crowe or early Mel.

ABC has a neat 1973 Radio set up, playing most of the songs heard during the show, that I've been enjoying listening to.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bobmark226 View Post
    For somebody who was swearing off the "boob tube" here a couple weeks ago, Kristi, it looks like you're losing the battle, given this and your "Chuck" viewing, since neither is exactly Masterpiece Theater.

The show is decent enough, though I'd probably forget it if I didn't have it on series record.

Not to be disregarded: I think Jason O'Mara is just smokin'. I know he's Irish, but the appeal is not unlike Russell Crowe or early Mel.

ABC has a neat 1973 Radio set up, playing most of the songs heard during the show, that I've been enjoying listening to.

Bob
    You and I must have the same taste in men. I was thinking early Mel or early Paul Newman. Did you watch him on Men In Trees? Mmmmm......

I take issue with your characterization of Chuck, however. If Masterpiece Theater were aiming for a send-up of the spy world, I think Chuck would qualify just fine.
    -Laura

Muffins are for people who don't have the 'nads to order cake for breakfast.
    --Seth, "Kitchen Confidential" (the show, not the book)

www.thespicedlife.com/

I'm really enjoying it, but I also haven't seen the BBC version. Between The Office, Grey's Anatomy, Life on Mars, and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, my DVR is probably going to explode some Thursday night!
    Alpogoalie: Any dog smart enough to use its paw to pin down a dog dish.

Quote Originally Posted by bobmark226 View Post
    Yeah I know.

James Beard

Unhappy

Waahhh! I was sad that last night was the series finale. This show really grew on me. I'm going to miss the characters! I was surprised with how they ended it. I had no idea how they were going to do it. I'm just glad that it wasn't cancelled with no finale. I tried to find the BBC version on Netflix but didn't have any luck.

Linda,
    The series didn't last too long in the UK either and it's sequel, Ashes to Ashes, doesn't even come close to being an equal. It took quite a few episodes for me to like the American version. We still have a few recorded to watch.

Is the BBC version the same name? Or different? Would be interested in tracking it down.

Quote Originally Posted by SusanMac View Post
    Is the BBC version the same name? Or different? Would be interested in tracking it down.

Same name but I don't think there have been US releases of the DVDs.

Looks like the website is still running: http://www.bbc.co.uk/lifeonmars/index_non_flash.shtml

I tried to get into the US version several times as I had TIVO'ed the episodes -- I liked many of the actors and enjoying watching if just for the production values -- i.e. I would see how well they captured the look, feel and sound of NYC in the 1970's.

Picking it up as an open ended series never made sense -- the BBC original was done with a limited number of episodes.

I haven't seen the new UK manifestation -- It deals with a woman who actually knows about the prior "time travel"
    Some days I pray for Silence, Some days I pray for Soul,
    Some days I just pray to the God of Sex and Drums and Rock 'N' Roll.

Meatloaf

Quote Originally Posted by blazedog View Post
    I haven't seen the new UK manifestation -- It deals with a woman who actually knows about the prior "time travel"
    It's called "Ashes to Ashes" and it's running on BBCA now.

Susan is correct, btw, the original is not available on DVD here.

Bob

DH and I really enjoyed the entire series. We are big watchers of BBCA and usually enjoy the shows more there than when they recycle them for American audiences (The Office) being a prime example. I read that the BBC Gene is vastly different from the way HK plays it but having never seen that, I enjoy his version. I have never watched "The Sopranos" so I still think of Michael Imperioli as Spider from "Goodfellas."
    We have the finale DVR'd so we can watch it tonight. I am sad that it is ending but I think it might be good to wrap it all up neatly. (Which I hope they do!) I made the mistake of watching a little bit of the BBC last episode and I hope I didn't ruin it for myself!

And I hope they find something soon for Jason O'Mara because he is totally hot.
    (`'�.�*�*�.�'�)
    � ** Schmee** �
    (�.�'�*�*`'� .�)

"The sea was angry that day, my friends, like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli."
    ~George Costanza

I liked the BBCA miniseries better. And have to say it worked better as a mini series than an ongoing show.

I have no idea why they won't release the BBC version on DVD. My guess is rights to the music. I watched Skins and the US DVD version is different because of rights to a few songs. The season finale had a different ending.

James Beard