Community Message Boards

Thread: Need help with dressing (stuffing) consistency

Need help with dressing (stuffing) consistency

I love my mom's cornbread dressing, and I make it every year. It always comes out tasting awesome, but the consistnecy/texture is gummy. Does this indicate underbaking, or just too much liquid for the amount of cornbread?
    Here's how I make it:

4 boxes Jiffy conrbread mix
    4 cans (14.5 oz, I believe--don't quote me on that) chicken broth
    chopped onion, green onion and celery
    poultry seasoning, extra thyme and sage, salt and black pepper

Bake the Jiffy as directed in a 9x13 pan. Meanwhile, heat the chicken broth, add the veggies and simmer til all are soft.

Crumble the cornbread in a large bowl and add the broth/veggies. Adjust spices. Quickly stir in 2 beaten eggs. Bake in the same 9x13 pan at 350 for 1 hour.

Moist would be one thing. Very moist so that it's like the consistency of fluffy Stove Top (heaven forbid!) But mine can be carved into interesting shapes and is gummy like underbaked cornbread, even if I bake it for an hour and a half! No amount of baking will make it better. So do I just need less liquid/more cornbread, or what?

TIA!
    Just another Susan

"Peggy, here I am tryin' to contain an outbreak, and you're drivin' the monkey to the airport!" Hank Hill

www.thebreastcancersite.com Click here to fund free mammograms!

Susan,
    I don't use straight cornbread in my dressing but half cornbread and half white cubed bread. I do think it's an awful lot of liquid in your recipe.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Hmmm.
    That's basically the same as mine except--I use homemade cornbread, and homemade chicken stock and have a lot of chicken thrown in.

The only difference that brings to mine is the gelatin in the homemade stock that canned broth doesn't have, though I really have no idea if that would make a difference in the finished product.

I bake mine in glass bakeware (per grandma's instructions) and do so until it's set.
    Jennifer

And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.
    --Abraham Lincoln

Write it on your heart that everyday is the best day of the year.
    --Emerson

I used to bake my own cornbread, but for dressing, I just love the Jiffy. And I'm too lazy to nake my own stock, but I will try to do that one day. I dunno, but I don't think the gelatin in the homemade stock would make that big of a difference...but I could be totally wrong. I'm thinking it's just too much liquid, like Susan said.

I agree with you about using Pyrex, Jennifer. For some reason, it just tastes so much better when it's cooked in glass.
    Just another Susan

"Peggy, here I am tryin' to contain an outbreak, and you're drivin' the monkey to the airport!" Hank Hill

Maybe bake the cornbread a day or so in advance and let it dry out a bit?

And I'm with you - I just love Jiffy Cornbread.

Yes, it's key to have the cornbread and bread cubed/crumbled and left out to dry, just like with bread pudding.
    The Blog is open again!
    http://singlegrrlkitchen.blogspot.com/

"If God had meant for corn bread to have sugar in it, he'd have called it cake." -- Mark Twain

I typically do bake the cornbread the day before, but I've never crumbled it and let it let it dry before. I'll definitely do that this time, as well as decreasing the liquid.

Thanks, everyone!
    Just another Susan

I also use half cornbread and half white bread, both left out overnight to dry. My mother always added butter...a lot of it, which makes it really crispy on the outside and moist on the inside.

My mom's secret is to add enough broth so you can pat the top of the dressing with a spoon and raise some liquid. It's hard to describe, but once you see it you know it. Otherwise, yours sounds fine. I add a very small amount of white bread. Too much makes it "slick" and that's not the point of cornbread dressing.
    Margaret

I don't do much cornbread stuffing but I think the key to most stuffing, as mentioned in earlier replies, is to let the bread dry out for a day or two before making the stuffing.
    Anne