Community Message Boards
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Is there some sort of lima bean shortage?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    One Particular Harbour
    Posts
    2,375

    Is there some sort of lima bean shortage?

    I went to two stores looking for a bag of frozen lima beans, for a vegetable soup I make in a large quantity.

    This is the first time I am making the soup this fall. Usually I have a choice of small size or large size beans, but I have not been able to find any frozen limas of any brand!

    I ended up buying a can of them, but I do prefer the texture of frozen limas over canned.

    I'd be curious if other people are out of limas too.
    Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Ossining, NY
    Posts
    2,834
    i actually had a hard time finding canned lima beans a few weeks ago. not even at whole foods! i was shocked....maybe something is going on!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Ozone Park, NY
    Posts
    2,673
    A lima bean shortage?!?! YES! My prayers have been answered!!!!!!!!

    Now, if only fava beans went the way of lima beans, this world would be a better place.

    And I think there are plenty of kids who would back me up on this.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    One Particular Harbour
    Posts
    2,375
    I did some Googling and found a blog in Maryland that asked about a lima bean shortage, and this item from the National Frozen Food Association:


    Peas | Corn | Carrots | Green Beans | Limas | Squash

    LIMA BEANS

    Limas have been the most troubled of all our crops this 2008 season and the pack has been deeply impacted by acreage availability. Limas are generally grown in a specific area of Eastern Washington and this area can also grow grain crops which have doubled and tripled in value this past year. Acres available to National this year decreased by 40-50%. Even with a budget pack and good quality we still expect to be short of our lima bean needs.
    Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    One Particular Harbour
    Posts
    2,375
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelina View Post
    A lima bean shortage?!?! YES! My prayers have been answered!!!!!!!!

    Now, if only fava beans went the way of lima beans, this world would be a better place.

    And I think there are plenty of kids who would back me up on this.
    Oddly, my DD LOVES lima beans. She asks for extra in the vegetable soup, so I always like to accommodate her, since she is not a big eater.

    And both kids love spinach too. Go figure.
    Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    2,357
    I made this soup last week and found lima beans at the second store I went to. The first was TJs, and then I found them at Whole Foods. By the way, the soup is excellent!

    Bean-and-Barley Soup

    Smoked turkey sausage adds considerable flavor to this healthy, high-fiber soup.

    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 cup chopped onion
    1 cup chopped carrot
    1/2 cup chopped celery
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1/2 cup uncooked pearl barley
    1/4 pound smoked turkey sausage, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
    2 cups frozen baby lima beans
    1 3/4 cups water
    1/8 teaspoon pepper
    2 (14 1/4-ounce) cans fat-free chicken broth
    1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
    1/2 teaspoon hot sauce

    Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrot, celery, and garlic; sauté 5 minutes. Add barley and sausage; sauté 4 minutes. Add beans, water, pepper, broth, and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 45 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in hot sauce.

    Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups)

    NUTRITION PER SERVING
    CALORIES 228(26% from fat); FAT 6.7g (sat 1.6g,mono 3.3g,poly 1.3g); PROTEIN 13.4g; CHOLESTEROL 16mg; CALCIUM 78mg; SODIUM 423mg; FIBER 4.9g; IRON 2.4mg; CARBOHYDRATE 29.5g

    Cooking Light, JANUARY 1996
    Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    One Particular Harbour
    Posts
    2,375
    Quote Originally Posted by Goin' Coastal View Post
    I made this soup last week and found lima beans at the second store I went to. The first was TJs, and then I found them at Whole Foods. By the way, the soup is excellent!

    Bean-and-Barley Soup

    Smoked turkey sausage adds considerable flavor to this healthy, high-fiber soup.

    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 cup chopped onion
    1 cup chopped carrot
    1/2 cup chopped celery
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1/2 cup uncooked pearl barley
    1/4 pound smoked turkey sausage, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
    2 cups frozen baby lima beans
    1 3/4 cups water
    1/8 teaspoon pepper
    2 (14 1/4-ounce) cans fat-free chicken broth
    1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
    1/2 teaspoon hot sauce

    Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrot, celery, and garlic; sauté 5 minutes. Add barley and sausage; sauté 4 minutes. Add beans, water, pepper, broth, and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 45 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in hot sauce.

    Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups)

    NUTRITION PER SERVING
    CALORIES 228(26% from fat); FAT 6.7g (sat 1.6g,mono 3.3g,poly 1.3g); PROTEIN 13.4g; CHOLESTEROL 16mg; CALCIUM 78mg; SODIUM 423mg; FIBER 4.9g; IRON 2.4mg; CARBOHYDRATE 29.5g

    Cooking Light, JANUARY 1996
    This soup looks good! My DS and DH like sausage and DD likes limas, so I will give it a try!
    Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    19,680
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelina View Post
    ...

    Now, if only fava beans went the way of lima beans, this world would be a better place....
    Angela! What kind of Italian ARE you? (I feel the same way, but I'm allowed..no Italian blood )

    I have to say, I cooked the Rancho Gordo "giant limas" and they were really nice: almost velvety in texture. I believe I made mock mashed potatoes out of them, unless I'm imagining that. But I do recall being very pleasantly surprised by how delicious (and giant!) they were. I don't think they have them now, but I could get adventuresome and try their Christmas limas. Don't think I'm brave enough to try the canned ones....
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Ozone Park, NY
    Posts
    2,673
    Quote Originally Posted by Canice View Post
    Angela! What kind of Italian ARE you? (I feel the same way, but I'm allowed..no Italian blood )
    See, it was my job as a kid to get the beans out of the pods, and then peel each bean. This was NOT fun. Also, a traditional dish was stewed kale with a reconstituted sauce (to me it was a gloopy paste) made with dried and halved fava beans, called favetta. I was not too big on green stuff and I hated that dish with a passion. :mad: Still do. My mother still makes it sometimes, but never when she knows I am going to be there. I am not a kid anymore and she can't make me eat it!

    Soooo...no love from me for fava beans!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Red Sox nation
    Posts
    25
    Thanks for posting on your lima bean issues. I have been frustrated for this reason as well the past year or so it seems! I used to love to make this great salad for lunch -apples, limas, feta, walnuts, vider vinegar and oil. But I barely ever see frozen limas now. Canned something is lost.... I have tried other beans but its just not the same. I blamed the rise of the edamame but apparently there is a more rational reason. Hopefully, they'll have a better season soon!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    19,680
    Are soybeans taking acreage from limas, in addition to all the other crops?
    I saw dried limas in two grocery stores this afternoon, at a good price. Is that an option?

    Quote Originally Posted by Angelina
    See, it was my job as a kid to get the beans out of the pods, and then peel each bean. This was NOT fun. Also, a traditional dish was stewed kale with a reconstituted sauce (to me it was a gloopy paste) made with dried and halved fava beans, called favetta. I was not too big on green stuff and I hated that dish with a passion. Still do. My mother still makes it sometimes, but never when she knows I am going to be there. I am not a kid anymore and she can't make me eat it!

    Soooo...no love from me for fava beans!
    Well that makes sense! I actually kind of like the shelling and peeling process, but that dish sounds VERY un-tasty, so I'm with you. Sometimes this notion of "la cucina povera" can be waaaay over sentimentalized, IMO. Kinda makes you realize why "local/seasonal" used to be a punishment, not a badge of honor .
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Dadeville, AL
    Posts
    12,808
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelina View Post
    A lima bean shortage?!?! YES! My prayers have been answered!!!!!!!!

    Now, if only fava beans went the way of lima beans, this world would be a better place.

    And I think there are plenty of kids who would back me up on this.
    And adults! While my tastes have changed (I never used to eat anything whose last name was bean), I still have no love for limas... I think it's the texture!
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •