Community Message Boards

Thread: Anyone have sweet potato pie recipe?

Cool Anyone have sweet potato pie recipe?

I thought I'd like to make a sweet potato pie to take to a Thanksgiving dinner this year. Does anyone have a favorite recipe? I've never made it before, and actually only had it once, maybe 30 years ago, but I still remember how surprisingly delicious it was!
    Martha Stewart's honey walnut pie is the other dessert I'll be bringing...it's always a requested favorite!
    Paul
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by paulryb View Post

I thought I'd like to make a sweet potato pie to take to a Thanksgiving dinner this year. Does anyone have a favorite recipe? I've never made it before, and actually only had it once, maybe 30 years ago, but I still remember how surprisingly delicious it was!
    Martha Stewart's honey walnut pie is the other dessert I'll be bringing...it's always a requested favorite!
    Paul
    This one is from Fannie Flagg's Whistle Stop Cafe Cookbook (remember the movie FRIED GREEN TOMATOES?)

Sweet Potato Pie

1/4 c. butter or margarine, softened
    1 c. sugar
    2 eggs, separated
    1-1/2 c. cooked mashed sweet potatoes
    3/4 c. evaporated milk or half and half
    1 tsp. vanilla extract
    1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
    1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
    1/4 tsp. ground ginger
    1 unbaked 9-inch pastry shell
    Whipped Cream

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cream butter with electric mixer; gradually add 3/4 cup sugar, beating well. Beat in egg yolks. Stir in sweet potatoes and next 5 ingredients. Beat egg whites until foamy. Gradually add remaining 1/4 c. sugar, 1 T. at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Folkd into sweet potato mixture. Pour into pastry shell and bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until set. Cool; top with dollops of whipped cream.
    Yield: One 9-inch pie
    Katie

I like sweet potato pie without the spices. I haven't made it in years, but I always used one with lemon extract and plenty of vanilla, but no cinnamon or nutmeg. That makes it a lot different than a pumpkin pie. If I can find my recipe, I'll post.
    Margaret

This is the recipe that converted me from a die hard pumpkin pie fan to sweet potato pie fan.

The only thing I do differently from the recipe is to cook the sweet potato in the microwave because it is easier for me most of the time.

Sweet Potato Pie
    Yields: 8 servings

INGREDIENTS:
    1- pound sweet potatoes
    1/2 cup butter, softened
    1 cup white sugar
    1/2 cup whole milk
    2 eggs
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (or to taste)
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 (9 inch) unbaked pie crust

DIRECTIONS:
    1. Boil sweet potato whole in skin for 40 to 50 minutes, or until done. Run cold water over the sweet potato, and remove the skin.
    2. Break apart sweet potato in a bowl. Add butter, and mix well with mixer. Stir in sugar, milk, eggs, cinnamon and vanilla. Beat on medium speed until mixture is smooth. Pour filling into an unbaked pie crust.
    3. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 55 to 60 minutes, or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Pie will puff up like a souffle, and then will sink down as it cools.

ENJOY
    Beware of the dog and I wouldn't trust the cat either ~ on a sign somewhere

I saw Alton Brown flip a sweet potato pie upside down on a plate, remove the pie pan, cut it into pieces with his electric knife, put it back in the pan, and serve it that way. It was easier to cut and I thought it was quite clever to even think of it.
    Margaret

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzmatazz49 View Post
    I saw Alton Brown flip a sweet potato pie upside down on a plate, remove the pie pan, cut it into pieces with his electric knife, put it back in the pan, and serve it that way. It was easier to cut and I thought it was quite clever to even think of it.
    I'm not sure if it's from this same episode, but I've cooked Alton's sweet potato pie many times and love it. I like telling myself it's relatively healthy since there's no butter or oil in it or anything.

Ingredients

* 1 pound 3 ounces sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
    * 1 1/4 cups plain yogurt
    * 3/4 cup packed, dark brown sugar
    * 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
    * 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg
    * 5 egg yolks
    * Salt
    * 1 (9-inch) deep dish, frozen pie shell
    * 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
    * 1 tablespoon maple syrup
    * Special equipment: steamer basket

Directions

Put cubed potatoes into steamer basket and place steamer basket into a large pot of simmering water that is no closer than 2 inches from the bottom of basket. Allow to steam for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender. Mash with potato masher and set aside.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Place sweet potatoes in the bowl of a stand mixer and beat with the paddle attachment. Add yogurt, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, yolks, and salt, to taste, and beat until well combined. Pour this batter into the pie shell and place onto a sheet pan. Sprinkle pecans on top and drizzle with maple syrup.

Bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until the custard reaches 165 to 180 degrees. Remove from oven and cool. Keep refrigerated after cooling.

I started a thread yesterday for a savory sweet potato casserole/mousse type thing with cream cheese. It is incredible, but not a dessert.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

Here's the spice-less sweet potato pie that I think actually tastes like sweet potatoes.

Sweet Potato Pie

1 1/2 cups mashed sweet potatoes
    1 stick butter, melted
    2 eggs, beaten slightly
    2/3 cup milk
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    3 T. cornstarch
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. lemon extract
    1 tsp. vanilla

Mix cornstarch, salt, and sugar. Combine with other ingredients, beating until smooth. Pour into unbaked 9 inch pie crust. Bake at 375 for about 45 min. Test with a butter knife or skewer to see if it is set.
    Margaret