Community Message Boards

Thread: Turkey Deals? After Thanksgiving?

Turkey Deals? After Thanksgiving?

We are not hosting Thanksgiving, but since turkeys are so cheap right now, I'm thinking about buying one. Are there usually deals *after* Thanksgiving? I've seen a lot of sales for .39-.59/pound with a separate $25 purchase or something along those lines. I just can't seem to remember if the specials are still going on after Thanksgiving in an effort to get rid of many of the turkeys.

Thanks!
    Blogging Fun
    Don't eat anything your great-grandmother wouldn't recognize as food. -Michael Pollan

In my experience the best turkey deals are always before Thanksgiving--when stores still have the chance to lure you to their store to do your "big" Thanksgiving shop.
    “the greatest risk of eating is getting run over on the way to buy your food, not from the food itself.”

Ian Shaw, Is It Safe To Eat?

Turkey expert, checking in.

I refuse to tell you how many pounds of turkey are, at this moment, in my chest freezer. Uh-uh; ain't happenin'. However, I will assure you that I have a great deal of experience in stocking up on, um, a year's worth of turkey, and you need to do it now.

Sneaky tip: phone the store ahead of time and have them hold their biggest one(s) before you go buy your minimum groceries per birdy. Kroger now has them for 39c/lb if you spend $20 more; I've achieved 29c/lb in prior years but you never know if it'll go that low--or if they'll do that right b4 T'giving to clean out the scrawny 11-pound birds from the store freezers.

Happy hunting!

(Oh, a freebie: cranberries are always cheapest b4 T'giving also. Found that one out the hard way a few years ago, when the $1.99/bag berries became $2.49, then $2.99 till they ran out. I've heard that Costco & Sam's sell mega-bags, too, that are even cheaper--again, b4 T'giving only.)
    If you're afraid of butter, use cream. ~~ Julia Child

As you cook, you enjoy omniscience about food that no amount of label reading can match. Having retaken control of the meal from the food scientists, you know exactly what is in it. (Unless you start w/cream of mushroom soup, in which case all bets are off.) To reclaim control over one's food, to take it back from industry & science, is no small thing; indeed, in our time, cooking from scratch qualifies as subversive. ~~ Michael Pollan

I second the above comments - buy now. Some of our stores have 'buy $150 worth of anything and get a free turkey' This is when I stock up on essentials like kids jeans, Muir Glen organic tomatoes of various types, and other non-perishables. And go for the 20# turkey. One of the few 'grocery store' meats we buy. If I could get good (free range, organic) turkeys for less than about $5/pound I would go that route
    Anne

Thanks everyone! I think I'll get one this week sometime.

Anyone know what a good deal is for a turkey breast?
    Blogging Fun
    Don't eat anything your great-grandmother wouldn't recognize as food. -Michael Pollan

Kroger just sent out coupons in the mail to their best customers for a free turkey. My mom got one of these coupons in the mail and she knows that I want it. I think she wants me to beg her for it. She should give it to me. After all, I'm her best son.