Community Message Boards

Thread: TJ's Fresh Turkey

TJ's Fresh Turkey

Today I was at Trader Joes and was talking to one of the workers. I commented that I was going to come back next week and buy my fresh turkey and he said they would be all gone and he was buying his that day. I noticed that the sell by date is 11/30. Do you all think it will be okay for that length of time? It seems like a really long time for poultry to me. Granted the turkey is brined, but will that make a difference?

I brought it home within 20 minutes of buying it and put it in my basement fridge. I even made sure to put it in a cooler bag for the drive. I would hate to make my family sick on Thanksgiving.

Cheryl

I bought my fresh turkey already and it's in the coldest part of the refrigerator. I'm not planning on roasting it until Thursday and it's date is the same 11/30. I do find it hard to believe that a store would run out that soon. I bought mine because I don't want to go shopping next week!
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

I'll be interested to see the other replies to this thread. I, too, bought a TJ fresh turkey over the weekend -- I needed a kosher turkey since my mom is coming for T'giving, and TJ's had the best prices anywhere for kosher turkey.

But -- I honestly wasn't comfortable with the idea of keeping it in the fridge for a week-and-a-half. So I put it in the freezer and I'll defrost it next week. Maybe that defeats the whole purpose of buying a fresh turkey, but I can't see that keeping it in the freezer for a week will hurt it that much. And it will certainly give me some peace of mind.

Helene
    "We reject as false the choice between our safety and our ideals. Our founding fathers, faced with perils we can scarcely imagine, drafted a charter to assure the rule of law and the rights of man, a charter expanded by the blood of generations. Those ideals still light the world, and we will not give them up for expedience's sake."
    --President Barack Obama, 1/20/09

I'd be sure that the refrigerator that the turkey is stored in is at the proper temperature. The temp should be set so that the internal temp of the food in it is less than 41F. There needs to be room for air circulation in the fridge. That helps maintain the temperature. The temp is usually lowest in the bottom of the fridge.

I keep my fridges at 37-38F.
    my personal chef service: Anastasia's Table Personal Chef Service

Quote Originally Posted by HRJ View Post
    But -- I honestly wasn't comfortable with the idea of keeping it in the fridge for a week-and-a-half. So I put it in the freezer and I'll defrost it next week. Maybe that defeats the whole purpose of buying a fresh turkey, but I can't see that keeping it in the freezer for a week will hurt it that much. And it will certainly give me some peace of mind.

Helene
    My mom did the same thing with our TJ's fresh turkey for T-dinner this year!

Wendi

Is your concern is that your home refrigerator is not cold enough? Since you'd be buying the same bird next week anyhow, with the same sell-by date. If I had the temp set correctly it wouldn't bother me at all, though I admit I'd feel better if I had a second refrigerator where the door wasn't being opened 99 times a day.

I find it easy to believe they sell out so quickly: at the regular stores you have to order in advance, and I'm those who don't are quick to hit TJS. I heard a few days ago that one of our specialty butchers "still has some small turkeys available" for order.
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

I guess I was just shocked at how long the expiration date is. It just seems like a really long to keep fresh poultry. I'm sure my fridge is cold enough and it probably only gets opened a few times a week so I'm sure it will stay cold.

Trader Joe's ran out last year in Atlanta at least 5 days before Thanksgiving last year. They have good prices for fresh turkeys. I've been able to pick oen up at the regular grocery the day before, but not brined.

I just really did not want to have to go shopping next week so am glad to have the turkey in the fridge. I think I will only need to buy the fresh vegetable and maybe I can get it from the farmer's market instead of the grocery.

Cheryl

Our company gives out turkeys to its employees each year. Those of us who requested a Kosher turkey (me) got ours today. I was expecting a frozen Empire bird but was pleased to see we got the TJ's fresh turkeys. Mine, too, has the 11/30 "sell by" date on it.

I am wondering if the extremely long "sell by" date is due to the fact that the turkey is brined (by virtue of it being Kosher). Isn't salt a preservative?

I got mine last night based on recommendations here. My sell by date is 12/03, so I feel a little better about it. My fridge stays at the correct temperature and it's not opened much at all during the day, so I'm assuming it will be fine.
    Terri

I think I'm convinced to buy a TJ's turkey if my store still has any left! We have a pretty small one here. Just wondering, about how much did you pay for yours?

I think it was $1.79 per pound for the brined. The Kosher was more. I think $1.99 a pound.

Cheryl

I bought a fresh turkey at TJ's tonight with the 11/30 sell by date. When I got home, I discovered that the bag had somehow gotten punctured on the way home. I left the turkey in the original bag and put it into a larger ziplock bag. Do you think it will still be okay until Thursday? I wasn't sure if the bag being opened would make a difference in how long it stays good.
    My teacher thought I was smarter than I was, so I was.