Community Message Boards

Thread: How do I get a crispy bottom crust with apple pie?

How do I get a crispy bottom crust with apple pie?

The bottom crust of my apple pies are always limp and soggy. I've never made a pie with a crisp bottom crust.

I hate runny pies and always cook my apple filling before putting it in the crust to get the juices out and thickened. So that's not it.

It's probably the pie pan but I've tried several. I use the PC deep dish stoneware pie pan, a clear glass Pyrex and an aluminum/metal pan. Every pan has given me soggy crusts.

What do you all use to get nice crispy bottom crusts?
    The term "working mother" is redundant.

I'm no pie expert, but have you tried baking it on the bottom shelf w/the pie pan on top of a hot stone?

Tehehe! When I opened this thread all I saw was the bottom line and I inadvertently read it as: "What do you use to get a crispy bottom?"

Seriously, I would like to know as well! I've been pre-baking my crusts which has helped some and I even started doing it for my pumpkin pies.

I use pyrex "pans" and I bake on a baking stone.
    Blogging it! A healthy serving of books, a dash of food, a splash of knitting, all topped off with the occasional trip. Serving recipe reviews on Mondays, book reviews on Thursdays.

Scifi with a Dash of Paprika

Do you start your pies at a high temperature for the first 15 minutes of baking?

I start all fruit pies at 450 and then down to either 350 or 375 for the remainder of the baking time.

I am not a pie making expert but do crispy bottomed fruit pies exist anywhere?

I have had pies from various theoretical knock your socks off pie emporiums and invariably the bottom crush is pretty soggy -- I don't know how it couldn't be since the liquid from even the most solid fruit filling is going to soften the bottom crust.
    Some days I pray for Silence, Some days I pray for Soul,
    Some days I just pray to the God of Sex and Drums and Rock 'N' Roll.

Meatloaf

I have a crusty bottom LOL. For me it's a combination. I brush pan with butter before putting pie dough in and higher temperature to start and lowering temperature to finish. I mostly use tinted glass Pyrex pie dish.

I recently heard somewhere that if you bake your pie on a cookie sheet that it will help get the bottom crust crisper. I haven't tried this yet. Baking it on a stone as Linda suggested may work too.

Not speaking from experience here, but you might want to try blind-baking your crust before you add the filling. I heard this talked about on a food show recently when discussing soggy crusts. You basically pre-bake the pie crust for a short time without the filling. There are more detailed instructions available on line if you want to give it a try.

Shows once again, the emperor's new clothes syndrome when it comes to food (and many other things).

It's not the first time (nor will be be the last) when I have found some restaurant/bakery/food emporium to not live up to all the raves. When I am more familiar with the food, I know that it's a mediocre example but with pies, since I don't have much experience eating them, I just assumed that the few times I have had a pie and I thought meh -- it was my own personal taste that preferred other stuff -- as opposed to it being the bad taste of everyone else.

I was thinking that fruit tarts which I loved but which I tend to get only from really good bakeries as a special treat generally have a crisp crust but I thought perhaps this was because most of them seem to have a very buttery cookie type of crust as opposed to the flaky crust of most pies.
    Some days I pray for Silence, Some days I pray for Soul,
    Some days I just pray to the God of Sex and Drums and Rock 'N' Roll.

Meatloaf

For custard-type pies, I ALWAYS fully bake before adding the filling. For fruit pies that are single-crust, the same -- fully bake, then fill and bake, covering the exposed crust with foil. For 2-crust fruit pies, you're never going to have an absolutely crisp crust. Brushing with egg whites and partially baking first helps, as does baking on the bottom of the oven or on a pizza stone. Still, what you've got there is liquid cooking simultaneously with raw dough, and that ain't ever going to be crisp.

Another solution is to bake the crusts separately, cook the filling on the stove, and assemble.
    The Blog is open again!
    http://singlegrrlkitchen.blogspot.com/

"If God had meant for corn bread to have sugar in it, he'd have called it cake." -- Mark Twain

I've never gotten a crispy crust using this method, but they're at least cooked and not the mushy raw mess you get sometimes. I use a pyrex pie pan and put it on my pizza stone.
    <)>>< Candace ><<)>

Quote Originally Posted by Linda in MO View Post
    I'm no pie expert, but have you tried baking it on the bottom shelf w/the pie pan on top of a hot stone?

Agree, though my stone is really on the bottom rack and the pie...in a glass pie pan...is the rack just above. I've a fear of a "cold" pie pan going directly onto a hot stone.

I don't think you can blind bake a two crust pie but it certainly works with single crusts.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

I have to disagree with the people who are saying to bake the pie on a baking sheet or stone. My mom recently had a pyrex pie plate with quiche in it shatter in the oven because it was on a baking sheet. The baking sheet was NOT preheated...it went in at the same time as the quiche. Both baking sheets and stones can get vary hot.

As far as the crust, I don't recall apple pie having a crispy crust. I would be inclined to think a metal baking pan would work better than a glass one in this case. Also, if it seems like the the crust is not "done", maybe you are rolling it too thick? Maybe its not the cooking vessel itself, but maybe you need to try a crust with different ingredients?

Quote Originally Posted by sneezles View Post
    Agree, though my stone is really on the bottom rack and the pie...in a glass pie pan...is the rack just above. I've a fear of a "cold" pie pan going directly onto a hot stone.
    I know what you mean. I actually have a pie in the oven right now and I always kind of hold my breath when I put the cold pyrex pan on the hot stone, but so far I haven't had a problem. Knock on wood.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer101 View Post
    I have a crusty bottom LOL. For me it's a combination. I brush pan with butter before putting pie dough in and higher temperature to start and lowering temperature to finish. I mostly use tinted glass Pyrex pie dish.
    I spray my Pyrex pan with Pam for Baking. Maybe it has the same effect as the butter.

Quote Originally Posted by AngelaM View Post
    I have to disagree with the people who are saying to bake the pie on a baking sheet or stone. My mom recently had a pyrex pie plate with quiche in it shatter in the oven because it was on a baking sheet. The baking sheet was NOT preheated...it went in at the same time as the quiche. Both baking sheets and stones can get vary hot.
    My guess would be that there was a flaw in the dish. I've many a recipe that calls for placing the pan on the baking sheet, never had a problem.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Some tips I found by googling include:

Brush the pie crust with egg white and bake for 2-3 min before adding filling

OR

Brush the pie crust with
    - a thin layer strained apricot or raspberry preserve OR
    - a thin layer of melted white or dark chocolate OR
    - a thin layer of clarified butter

OR

Sprinkle it with a mixture of equal parts sugar and flour before adding filling.

OR

Sprinkle the bottom with a layer of ground nuts to help absorb any extra moisture

OR

Bake from frozen...the crust will have time to crisp up before the filling thaws and cooks
    kathyb

Less rhetoric, more cowbell!

I find the fruit pies I make in my dark blue enamel ware pie pans have crispier bottom crusts than the ones I make in my Pyrex pie plates. The pastry browns nicely on the bottom as well.

Quote Originally Posted by whocares View Post
    Not speaking from experience here, but you might want to try blind-baking your crust before you add the filling. I heard this talked about on a food show recently when discussing soggy crusts. You basically pre-bake the pie crust for a short time without the filling. There are more detailed instructions available on line if you want to give it a try.
    Read a fairly recent copy of BHG in a waiting room not too long ago. A whole section dedicated to pie baking. Was not brazen enough to tear out the pages but I think they mentioned pre-baking the crust and then baking with fruit filling. Anyone subscribing to BHG???
    I checked the website and found lots of pie recipes. Try a search if nobody checks in who has this magazine. Could very well have been the latest Thanksgiving issue - always surprised when waiting room mags are newer than 12 months
    We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
    -M. Acklam