Community Message Boards

Thread: Freezing Persimmon Pulp

Question Freezing Persimmon Pulp

There are a couple of gorgeous and just-right ripe persimmons sitting on my counter right now. We're leaving for a week's vacation tomorrow, and I'd like to freeze the pulp of the persimmons to use later in Christmas baking.

I'm thinking about placing the pulp in a Rubbermaid plastic container, mix in a bit of lemon juice, then place the sealed container in a freezer Ziploc bag. Would that keep the persimmon's flavor intact, or is there a better idea? TIA!
    "If you aren't living on the edge, you're taking up too much space."

Ginger-

Every year at this time I buy persimmons for Christmas pudding and just freeze them whole.

I cut out the top, leaf/stem part, wrap each fruit in plastic wrap, and place them in a freezer bag and freeze them for Christmas.

Just take them out of the freezer and put into the refrigerator the night before you want to use them so they can slowly defrost.

I have done this for at least 20 years with no problems at all.

Last year someone gave us a whole lot of very ripe persimmons. The ones we couldn't use we simply cut open, scooped out the pulp, put them into plastic freezer containers, (no lemon juice or other additives) and put them in the freezer. Made persimmon cookies from them not that long ago, and they tasted just like when we made them from fresh persimmons.
    What would you do if you knew you could not fail?

I have a bunch of persimmons left on my tree that I need to pick today. I never end up using any of them. I always give them away.

Before you freeze them do you make sure they are ripe first and then freeze them?

Also could you please post your Christmas pudding and cookie recipes.

Thanks Bunches

Before you freeze them do you make sure they are ripe first and then freeze them?
    Yes. I freeze them very ripe. About the only thing worse than an under ripe persimmon is a fresh picked olive.

I have a bunch of persimmons left on my tree that I need to pick today. I never end up using any of them. I always give them away.
    I never had to buy them when I lived in CA; people were always glad to get rid of them. Yesterday I paid $2.48 each here in WA.

Here is the recipe for Persimmon Pudding. I got this out of the San Francisco Chronicle at least twenty years ago and have been making it nearly every year since.

Steamed Persimmon Pudding

1 cup pureed persimmons (about 3)
    2 teaspoons baking soda
    8 tablespoons butter, room temperature
    1 cups sugar
    2 eggs
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1 tablespoon rum
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    teaspoon salt
    1 cup broken walnuts or pecans
    1 cup raisins

Fill a kettle, large enough to hold a 2 quart pudding mold, with enough water to come halfway up the sides of the mold. Let the water come to a boil over medium heat while you prepare the batter. The mold must have a lid, or be snuggly covered with foil while steaming. Also, there must be a rack or Mason jar rings on the bottom under the mold in the kettle to allow the water to circulate freely while the pudding is steaming.

Butter the mold very well. I now use the Pam for baking, and that works very well.

Put the persimmon puree in a small bowl and stir in the baking soda. Set aside (the persimmon mixture will become quite stiff).

Cream the butter and sugar. Add the eggs, lemon juice, and rum, and beat well. Add the flour, cinnamon, and salt, and stir to blend. Add the persimmon mixture and beat until well mixed. Stir in the nuts and raisins, and spoon the mixture into the prepared mold. Cover and steam for 2 hours.

Remove from the kettle and let rest 5 minutes. Turn onto a rack to cool, or let cool just a little and serve warm. This is delicious served with lemon sauce or unsweetened whipped cream. Serves 8.