Community Message Boards

Thread: Anyone else grappling with bone loss/osteopenia?

Anyone else grappling with bone loss/osteopenia?

i was diagnosed with this 14 mos. ago after a proximal shoulder fracture. worse pain than childbirth, imho. no great surprise; my mom was a poster for osteoporosis.

how have you altered your life and eating? i let go of all diet soda and most caffeine. ramped up supplements (Calcium and D, e.g.) and am working on including yoghurt, kale and other calcium-laden foods.

i've also added a walking regimen and know that i should be doing free weights...
    ~ Learn something new every day ~

Did your Dr. give you a prescription for Fosamax or something like it? You need to take 1 capsule once a week. There is even a newer approach wth a injection once a year.
    All the other things you are doing are very good.
    Good Luck! Get a bone scan every other year!
    Curleytop

Quote Originally Posted by francophila View Post
    i was diagnosed with this 14 mos. ago after a proximal shoulder fracture. worse pain than childbirth, imho. no great surprise; my mom was a poster for osteoporosis.

how have you altered your life and eating? i let go of all diet soda and most caffeine. ramped up supplements (Calcium and D, e.g.) and am working on including yoghurt, kale and other calcium-laden foods.
    I was diagnosed with osteopenia a few year ago, around age 45. My periods had stopped, my mom had had a fracture in her 60s, and I'm a white small-boned female, so my doctor felt I should be tested. Because of my fairly early menopause, and the fact that I had already been walking/jogging regularly and taking supplements, my doctor put me on Fosamax. My last dexa scan showed that I had stopped losing bone mass.

I take 1600 mg of calcium, plus 1000 mg Vitamin D, and I eat Greek yogurt every single day plus other foods with calcium. Weight lifting is what I haven't been able to fit into my schedule but I know I should. I also try to be mindful of what's in front of me when I'm out and about. I have had two stupid falls in the last couple years (tripping over a curb while daydreaming on my way to work and tripping over a backpack one of my kids left in the middle of the hall) -- no injuries other than bruises and pride, but I know I should avoid falling just to be on the safe side. As a non-daredevil, I have not had to give up things like skiing or skydiving. ;-)

My doctor plans to monitor my bone density with dexa scans every 2-3 years. I am only 48 so who knows what other tests or remedies will come up in the second half of my life.

Heidi

We have been doing a ton of research on Vitamin D.
    Get your 25-OH values checked. NOT the 1, 25-OH, and if it is below 50-80 range, start taking vitamin D.
    This is against everything I learned, but 10,000IU daily for weeks to bring your levels up will do wonders.

They're finding fibromyalgia pain being reduced, MS, breast cancer, bone health, depression, stroke and some cardiac issues ...all related to low levels of Vitamin D.

If you take drugs like Fosomax or Boniva, be very careful with jaw health....seems it eats up jaw bones.

Best to you.
    I've never had a broken bone (yet) but I have osteopenia. I've started the D and will see what happens next year.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

Quote Originally Posted by wallycat View Post
    If you take drugs like Fosomax or Boniva, be very careful with jaw health....seems it eats up jaw bones.
    My doctor told me that the studies show that risk is only with Reclast - not the oral meds. Due to my long term use of prednisone, I have bones much older than I am so I take a bisphosphonate once a month. It's helped a lot. I also take calcium and vitamin D every day and I'm still working on the "weight bearing exercise"!!!
    Terri _A
    I'm anal retentive. I'm a workaholic. I have insomnia. And I'm a control freak. That's why I'm not married. Who could stand me?” -Madonna

Read my ramblings about food and my nutty life on A Girl in the South!

North of the ocean, South of the Freeway, Mississippi Gulf Coast
    I saw a similar post over on the Collage video forums, and thought I'd mention it. Her reply is kind of technical (I have no idea what all the numbers mean, but she seems quite happy with it.
    Anna
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    A fruit is a vegetable with looks and money.
    Plus, if you let fruit rot, it turns into wine,
    something Brussels sprouts never do.
    P. J. O'Rourke, humorist
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Can you tell me why you gave up caffeine? Is a little okay, or did you completely delete it from your day?

My doc is making serious threats to me about bone loss, but we haven't talked about the caffeine connection. Actually, to be completely frank, I haven't told him how much caffeine I consume on a daily basis. I think he'd probably yell at me.
    Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Can you tell me why you gave up caffeine? Is a little okay, or did you completely delete it from your day?

My doc is making serious threats to me about bone loss, but we haven't talked about the caffeine connection. Actually, to be completely frank, I haven't told him how much caffeine I consume on a daily basis. I think he'd probably yell at me.
    There seems to be some conflicting research/opinions on the role of caffeine in bone loss but I do know that there is research that shows that diet cola's can leach the bones...both diet and caffeine free with there being a bit less (although marginal) loss from the caffeine free. This was told to me by my orthopedist who told me that she gave up Diet Coke when the early research came out and that there is now more research available.

Sheila in MD

I was diagnosed this year. I have been taking Fosamax for a while now. I did read something on Vitamin D so am taking more of that and extra calcium. I asked about reclast but my osteopenia isn't bad enough to take it.
    Next to jazz music, there is nothing that lifts the spirit and strengthens the soul more than a good bowl of chili...Harry James

I take Boniva and just tell my dental hygienist when I see her for a cleaning. So far she says all is well. I don't drink caffeine or diet sodas so will see what my next bone density test shows. I do take extra calcium and will up my Vit. D now too.

I was diagnosed with osteoperosis at age 45. I had been on norplant for birthcontrol for 10 years and my Doctor told me that it leaches calcium from the bones of some people. I sure wish I had know about this side effect earlier. I walk at least an hour per day, work with weights (when I'n not getting enough other weight bearing exercise), watch my calcium and vitamin d intake, and take fossamax once a week. So far I am slowly gaining bone density.
    Anne

I was diagnosed with "pre" osteoperosis about three years ago and was put on Fosomax. I'd been taking it six months when a good friend, who'd been on it for several years, began having jaw problems. Like wallycat said, her jaw bones began deteriorating. And three different doctors blamed it on Fosamax. I cannot tell you what she's gone through. All of her jaw bones have now been replaced with cadaver bone and she's just recently finally finished with tooth implants. I immediately stopped taking Fosomax when this happend to her. I take calcium supplements, I eat yogurt and low-fat cheese every single day, I eat lots of veggies high in calcium, I drink calcium-fortified OJ, and I drink fat-free evaporated milk in my coffee. I am determined to control my "pre" osteoperosis in other ways.
    "If you're lucky enough to live in the mountains, you're lucky enough."

I am 59 years old and have been taking Fosamax for several years after being diagnosed with osteopenia. My bone scan results have gone up and down and the last one was about the same as 2 years ago. My exercise program is running 3 x/week (total=20 miles), yoga 3 x/week and swimming 2 x/week. For my calcium I have been taking one calcium with vitamin D supplement, one Viactiv, and 2 Tums per day. I try to eat more dairy foods but am not consistent in that area. The easiest one for me is yogurt because it's low calorie and low fat and high calcium.

Since I've had problems with GERD/reflux I take one Pepcid every morning. At my last doctor's appointment he mentioned that it is a good thing that I take Pepcid rather than some other proton pump inhibitors because they prevent calcium absorption. This is from medicinenet.com: Certain medications can interfere with the absorption of calcium carbonate. Examples of such medications include proton-pump inhibitors [omeprazole (Prilosec), lansoprazole (Prevacid), lansoprazole (Protonix), and rabeprazole (Aciphex)], which are used in treating GERD (acid reflux) or peptic ulcers. In these cases, calcium citrate is preferred.

Carole