Community Message Boards

Thread: Uses 4 Cherry Pie Filling?

Uses 4 Cherry Pie Filling?

My grocer had cherry pie filling on sale and I couldn't resist. I ended up buying 6 cans ! And now I don't know what to do with them all. Any ideas or suggestions on how to use them all up?

This is a Weight Watchers recipe. I've done it with cherry pie filling too. It does call for light but i'm sure it would turn out just as good. Be warned! Don't use a smaller pan. I made the mistake first time using a 9" x 11" pan and it overflowed. Oh what a mess my oven was.

2 ingredients and you don't even have to prepare the pan!

Blueberry Squares

1 package angel food cake mix, about 14 1/2 oz
    22 oz light fruit pie filling, blueberry

Preheat oven to 350F.

Combine ingredients. Pour batter into an ungreased, 9-inch x 13-inch baking dish; bake for 30 minutes. Cool and cut into 24 pieces.

BTW, using the light pie filling makes it 2 Weight Watchers Points for 1 square.

I've posted my take on the easy but authentic Black Forest Cake recipe that's originally from our CLBB's Grace. It's TDF; my DH said it's the best cake I've ever made. And, of course, it uses your filling. Will post back with the link when I get it.

OK; back again . . . here's the link: http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...ck+forest+cake

And here's the cake I made:

Name:  Black Forest Cake.jpg
Views: 2153
Size:  8.1 KB
    Last edited by testkitchen45; 12-01-2008 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Add link & photo.
    If you're afraid of butter, use cream. ~~ Julia Child

As you cook, you enjoy omniscience about food that no amount of label reading can match. Having retaken control of the meal from the food scientists, you know exactly what is in it. (Unless you start w/cream of mushroom soup, in which case all bets are off.) To reclaim control over one's food, to take it back from industry & science, is no small thing; indeed, in our time, cooking from scratch qualifies as subversive. ~~ Michael Pollan

My mother used to use it as cheesecake topping. After a cheesecake disaster the afternoon I was expecting dinner guests, I came up with cheesecake parfaits, which would be very festive: put a couple of the cherries, with sauce, in the bottom of pretty parfait glasses. Cut cheesecake into large chunks and place in glass, drizzling with sauce and adding a few cherries. Put a small dollop of whipped cream on top and finish with a sprig of mint.
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

I've made this one before and it is good. I know it came from this board ... I want to say Val but I coud be wrong.

Fruit Crunch Coffee Cake
    Serving Size : 18

1 package yellow cake mix
    1 package active dry yeast
    1 cup all purpose flour
    2 large eggs
    2/3 cup warm water
    1/3 cup melted butter
    1/2 cup chopped toasted nuts -- optional
    -- (optional)
    21 ozs pie filling (blueberry -- apple, cherry, etc.)
    Glaze:
    1 cup confectioners sugar
    2 tablespoons milk -- or enough to make proper drizzling consistency
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Combine 1 1/2 cups cake mix with active dry yeast, flour, eggs, and warm water. Beat for two minutes. Spread dough in a greased 13" X 9" pan or two 8" x 8" square pans. Spoon pie filling over dough. In a separate bowl, combine the remaining cake mix with melted butter and chopped nuts (if using) until crumbly. Sprinkle over the pie filling in the pan.

Bake in preheated 375 degree oven for 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center of cake comes out clean. Let cool and drizzle with glaze.

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 165 Calories; 7g Fat (39.9% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 23g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 34mg Cholesterol; 233mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 1/2 Fat; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.
    Maria

Cherries in the Snow

This is an old CL recipe ('97). I make it every year for a Christmas dessert party. It's shamefully easy and very pretty. You can make it in a large trifle dish, and I've also assembled it in large wine glasses for individual services.

Ingredients
    1 (8-ounce) tub fat-free cream cheese
    1 cup sifted powdered sugar
    1 (12-ounce) carton frozen reduced-calorie whipped topping, thawed
    8 cups (1-inch) cubed angel food cake
    1 (20-ounce) can light cherry pie filling
    Preparation

Beat cream cheese at medium speed of a mixer until smooth. Gradually add the sugar, beating until blended. Gently fold in whipped topping.

Place half of cake cubes in a large glass bowl; top with half of cheese mixture. Spread half of cherry filling over cheese mixture. Repeat layers with remaining cake cubes, cheese mixture, and cherry filling. Cover and chill.

Years ago, I used it as a cheesecake topping; specifically for mini cheescakes (made in muffin pans) with a vanilla wafer at the bottom for the crust, cheesecake mixture, cherry topping. It was years ago, but can do a house search if you're interested!

Wendi

Here are two mini-cheesecake ideas like what Wendi was talking about, instead of drizzling the chocolate on the second one you could omit it and use the pie filling instead.

Mini Cheesecakes

Recipe By :Gwen McKee and Barbara Moseley
    Categories : 5-Ingredients, Cakes

12 Vanilla wafers
    2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    2 eggs

Preheat the oven to 325. Place paper or foil liners in a 12-cup muffin pan. Put a vanilla wafer in each. Blend together cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla on medium speed. Add eggs, and mix well. Pour over wafers, filling 3/4 full. Bake for 25 minutes. Allow to cool, then remove from pan. May top with fruit and nuts, if desired.

Editor's Extra: For an extra special treat, melt 1/2 cup chocolate chips in microwave for 1 3/4 minutes on HIGH, then drizzle over baked cheesecake.

"Kids like to make--and eat--these!"
    Source: 500 Fast & Fabulous Five Star 5 Ingredient Recipes 2007

Oreo Chip Muffin Cheesecakes

Recipe By :Gwen McKee and Barbara Moseley
    Categories : 5-Ingredients, Cakes

24 Oreo cookies
    2 (8-ounce)packages cream cheese -- softened
    3/4 cup sugar
    3 eggs
    1/2 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350. Place oreos in paper liners in 24 muffin tins. Beat together cream cheese, sugar, and eggs, adding one at a time. Spoon some cream cheese mixture over each cookie. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until center is almost set. Melt chocolate chips and drizzle each cheesecake with chocolate.

Source: 500 Fast & Fabulous Five Star 5 Ingredient Recipes 2007
    "Everyone is kneaded out of the same dough but not baked in the same oven." - Yiddish Proverb

Haven't had this for years, but my mom used to make a kind of upside-down chocolate cherry cake.

The pie filling went into the bottom of the cake pan, then cover with favorite chocolate cake batter and bake.
    See some of my quilts at: My blog

My grandmother's recipe for cherry cake maginifique is somewhere on this board. It is very good
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

This is going to sound ridiculous, I realize, but it is yummy nonetheless:

Make a grilled cherry pie filling sandwich. Lightly butter two slices of your favorite sandwich bread. Spread 2 or 3 tablespoons of pie filling on the unbuttered side of one slice of bread, and top with the other slice of bread, buttered side out. Place in a nonstick pan over low heat and cook until brown; flip the sandwich carefully and brown the other side. Top with a bit of confectioner's sugar.

Serve to children (or shameless adults) for breakfast.

This works well with any kind of pie filling, with jam/preserves, or with a combination of spreadable cream cheese and jam. Or so I've been told.

Quote Originally Posted by tbb113 View Post
    My grandmother's recipe for cherry cake maginifique is somewhere on this board. It is very good
    I did a search for 'maginifique' and found nothing. Could you post again?
    Sue

Women are Angels
    And when someone breaks our wings, our spirit, or our hearts...
    We simply continue to fly.........
    on a broomstick...
    We are flexible like that ....

make a standard sweet yeast dough, and fill the dough with cherry fulling for a coffecake/kuchen.

Whenever I think of cherry pie filling, I think of this ancient Borden recipe that was a staple of my family's when I was growing up. It's still a favorite to this day.

Note: I've used "light" ingredients in this and wasn't happy. If you want to cut back, I'd use a reduced-fat crust and perhaps reduced-fat (but not no-fat) condensed milk, and keep the full-fat cream cheese.

Cherry Cheese Pie

1 9-inch Graham Cracker crumb crust
    8 oz cream cheese, softened
    14-ounce can of sweetened condensed milk
    1/3 cup lemon juice
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    21 ounce can cherry pie filling, chilled

In large mixer bowl, beat cheese until fluffy. Gradually beat in
    condensed milk until smooth. Stir in lemon juice and vanilla. Pour into prepareed crust. Chill 3 hours, or until set. Top with desired amount of pie filling before serving. Refrigerate leftovers.
    The Blog is open again!
    http://singlegrrlkitchen.blogspot.com/

"If God had meant for corn bread to have sugar in it, he'd have called it cake." -- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Apricot View Post
    My grocer had cherry pie filling on sale and I couldn't resist. I ended up buying 6 cans ! And now I don't know what to do with them all. Any ideas or suggestions on how to use them all up?

CHERRY DUMP CAKE

Dump 2 cans cherry pie filling in a rectangular baking pan (13x9). Sprinkle 1 yellow cake mix (dry) over the cherries. Slice 1 stick butter thin and place slices over dry cake and cherries. Bake approximately 1 hour at 350 degrees.
    Chari

Quote Originally Posted by sfarler View Post
    I did a search for 'maginifique' and found nothing. Could you post again?
    Took a bit of searching but I found it.

here is the coffe cake recipe. My grandmother use to make this all the time for us and I think its one of the first recipes I learned to bake.

Cherry Cake Magnifique
    1/4 lb butter
    1 cup sugar
    3 eggs
    2 cups sifted flour
    1 tsp vanilla
    pinch salt
    2 tsp baking powder
    1 can cherry pie filling (or flavor of your choice)

Preheat oven to 325. Mix all the ingredients EXCEPT the pie filling. Pour 1/2 batter into greased 9 x 13 inch pan. Cover with the filling. Pour the rest of the batter over the filling (good luck, the batter is very thick so its more like glop the batter over the filling and try to smooth it out some ). Make a crumb topping of butter, sugar, cinnamon and flour (there is no real proportions here, do it to taste/feel). Bake at 325 for 45 minutes.

Its really good...my brother has been known to eat the entire cake in one sitting (and then told me that if I had wanted some, I should have baked 2 cakes )
    Chari

Thanks, Chari!

I wonder why my search didn't work.

The recipe sounds yummy.
    Sue

Women are Angels
    And when someone breaks our wings, our spirit, or our hearts...
    We simply continue to fly.........
    on a broomstick...
    We are flexible like that ....

Thanks for posting it Chari. Sue, you probably couldn't find it since I spelled it wrong when I suggested you search for it

Thanks for all the great suggestions! I had forgotten about the yeasted cake mix coffee cake. I've made it before and it was surprisingly good. The other ideas sound yummy too! I have no doubt that all the recipes you've shared will keep me pretty busy. Thanks so much! (Off to make the black forest cake-too easy and delicious sounding! then I'll have to make the cherry cake magnifique. then the cheesecakes, then the trifle, and the WW squares too...)

Surfer376-I've never had much success with dump cakes. They usually taste too much like a mix (although I don't mind it in cake/cupcake form). Perhaps it's the cake mix brand that I use. Which do you like best for dump cakes?

Quote Originally Posted by Apricot View Post
    Surfer376-I've never had much success with dump cakes. They usually taste too much like a mix (although I don't mind it in cake/cupcake form). Perhaps it's the cake mix brand that I use. Which do you like best for dump cakes?
    My MIL makes cherry dump cake and the kids love it!
    Not sure what brand of mix she uses, Tbb113's recipe for Cherry Cake Magnifique sounds like a homemade version of dump cake.
    I did a search for cherry cake and used tbb113, when I searched for cherry cake maginifique , nothing found...must have been the spelling issue. Thanks tbb113 for sharing!
    Chari

Unless the dump cake magically separates into layers, they are different as the one I posted is a filled coffee cake.

Unless the dump cake magically separates into layers, they are different as the one I posted is a filled coffee cake.
    No magic involved, just thought they were similar, my mistake.
    Chari