I just made this recipe and it was simple and tasty! Wanted to share it with you all.
Lighter Eggplant Parmesan
Martha Stewart's Everyday Food December 2008
* 1 large eggplant (2 pounds), sliced 1/2 inch thick crosswise
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* Coarse salt and ground pepper
* 1 cup fat-free (skim) milk
* 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
* 2 garlic cloves, minced
* 1 cup homemade or store-bought marinara sauce
* 1/2 cup grated part-skim mozzarella
* 1/3 cup grated Parmesan
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees, with racks in upper and lower thirds. Arrange eggplant on two rimmed baking sheets. Brush eggplant on both sides with oil, and season with salt and pepper. Bake until golden brown and very tender, 20 to 25 minutes, turning slices and rotating sheets halfway through.
2. Meanwhile, make sauce: Off heat, in a medium saucepan, whisk together 1/4 cup milk, flour, and garlic. Gradually whisk in remaining 3/4 cup milk and 1/2 cup marinara sauce. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer, and cook until pink sauce has thickened, 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Spread cup marinara sauce in the bottom of a shallow 2-quart baking dish. Alternate layers of baked eggplant with pink sauce. Dollop with remaining cup marinara sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan. Bake on upper rack until browned and bubbling, 10 to 15 minutes.
Note: Make sure you cut the eggplant in the required thickness, I did 1/4 but it was too thin. When making the pink sauce, next time I will add crushed red pepper, maybe 1/4. tsp or even a 1/2. I covered the pans with foil, and will spray them with Pam next time. I used store bought marinara, and found a small jar worked just fine.
Oooh, I love eggplant parm! Thanks for posting!
Copyright © 2012
Time Inc. Lifestyle Group.
All Rights Reserved. Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our
Your California Privacy Rights).