Community Message Boards

Thread: A salad to go with chicken tortilla soup?

A salad to go with chicken tortilla soup?

We're hosting a couple for a casual dinner tomorrow night and I'm planning to serve chicken tortilla soup and corn muffins. Anyone have suggestions for a good salad to go along with it? Thanks!

My sister, minky, got me hooked on the easiest salad.... arugula drizzled with lemon juice and extra-virgin olive oil. Freshly ground pepper as well. Easy and VERY yummy. Perhaps you want something more elaborate, but I thought I'd throw it out there as a suggestion.

Have fun,

Kate

How about this one by applecrisp. It was posted under warm weather salads and we had it several times this summer. You can freely change the ingredients and vary the amounts for the salad. The dressing is outstanding so I always follow that recipe.

MEXICAN CHOPPED SALAD WITH HONEY-LIME DRESSING

2 1/2 cups chopped romaine lettuce
    1 can (15.5 oz) black beans, rinsed and well drained
    3/4 cup chopped seeded tomato
    3/4 cup chopped peeled jicama
    3/4 cup fresh corn kernels, uncooked (or frozen or canned)
    3/4 cup thinly sliced radishes
    Half a ripe avocado, diced
    1 red bell pepper, chopped
    1/4 cup crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese

Honey-Lime Dressing
    1/4 cup fresh lime juice
    1/4 cup olive oil
    2 tbsp honey
    2 tbsp finely chopped fresh cilantro (or more to taste)
    1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
    1 tsp chopped jalapeño pepper (use canned for less heat)

Toss all salad ingredients in a large bowl. In separate bowl, mix dressing ingredients. Pour dressing over mixture and toss again. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Makes 4 servings.
    We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
    -M. Acklam

I make a salad that I think is great with Mexican flavors: red leaf lettuce, avocado, sunflower seeds, cauliflower, and some crumbled feta or farmer's cheese. I really like Newman's Light Italian (with lemon) for the dressing.

Alternately, my most-made salad is red leaf lettuce, cherry tomatoes, avocado, chickpeas, and big curls of parmesan, usually with balsamic vinaigrette. Also great with spicy dishes.

I love the salad by applecrisp, but I am wondering. . . Most recipes for tortilla soup have beans and corn (maybe yours doesnt?) and you are serving corn muffins, For contrast, there is a fabulous slivered Granny Smith apple with greens and maple dressing I got from this board. If you are interested I will post it. There also is one with mandarin oranges that is also good with tortilla/taco soup.
    The cardiologist's diet: - If it tastes good spit it out!

ADM - would you mind posting the apple/maple salad recipe. It sounds wonderful and I'm supposed to bring a salad for a Christmas party on Sunday.
    Thanks

* Exported from MasterCook *

Apple & Dried Cranberry Salad - Creamy Maple Dressing

Recipe By : CLBB ?? (Please speak up, if your recipe!)
    Serving Size : 8

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 15 ounce bag mixed greens
    1 large Granny Smith apple
    1/2 cup dried cranberries -- plumped
    1/2 cup pecans

2 tablespoons mayonnaise
    2 tablespoons maple syrup
    1 1/2 tablespoons wine vinegar
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1/4 cup olive oil

Combine greens, peeled apples (cut into matchstick strips) and cranberries. Toss with just enough Creamy Maple Dressing to coat, sprinkle with maple-glazed walnuts, cashews, or sugared pecans.

Whisk mayonnaise, maple syrup, vinegar and sugar to blend. Whisk in olive oil, until mixture thickens slightly. Cover, refrigerate, up to 3 days.

Maple-glazed Pecans or Walnuts - For each 1/2 cup nuts use 3 tablespoons maple syrup. In a medium skillet toast the nuts over medium heat until golden. Drizzle with maple syrup. Reduce heat to low, stir constantly until nuts are glazed and there is no syrup left in bottom of the skillet, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Mandarin-Cranberry Salad - Raspberry Vinaigrette

Recipe By : ADM
    Serving Size : 5-6

1 package mixed salad greens
    1 cup mandarin oranges in water -- drained*
    1/2 cup dried cranberries -- plumped and drained
    pecan halves -- optional

1 tablespoon raspberry vinegar
    2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    1/2 tablespoon sugar -- or to taste
    1/4 teaspoon pepper -- freshly ground

Whisk vinegar, olive oil, sugar and pepper until well-blended. Pour over the combined chilled greens, oranges and cranberries. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup toasted, or sugared) pecan halves, if desired.

[*If possible chill the mandarin oranges overnight before assembling the salad. Note: Red grapefruit sections can be substituted for the Mandarin oranges.]

Quote Originally Posted by ADM View Post

Apple & Dried Cranberry Salad - Creamy Maple Dressing

Recipe By : CLBB ?? (Please speak up, if your recipe!)
    Serving Size : 8

1 15 ounce bag mixed greens
    1 large Granny Smith apple
    1/2 cup dried cranberries -- plumped
    1/2 cup pecans

2 tablespoons mayonnaise
    2 tablespoons maple syrup
    1 1/2 tablespoons wine vinegar
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1/4 cup olive oil

Combine greens, peeled apples (cut into matchstick strips) and cranberries. Toss with just enough Creamy Maple Dressing to coat, sprinkle with maple-glazed walnuts, cashews, or sugared pecans.

Whisk mayonnaise, maple syrup, vinegar and sugar to blend. Whisk in olive oil, until mixture thickens slightly. Cover, refrigerate, up to 3 days.

Maple-glazed Pecans or Walnuts - For each 1/2 cup nuts use 3 tablespoons maple syrup. In a medium skillet toast the nuts over medium heat until golden. Drizzle with maple syrup. Reduce heat to low, stir constantly until nuts are glazed and there is no syrup left in bottom of the skillet, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This recipe is terrific. Great combination of flavors and would go well with the soup and corn muffins.
    Terri

Quote Originally Posted by ADM View Post
    I love the salad by apple crisp, but I am wondering. . . Most recipes for tortilla soup have beans and corn (maybe yours doesn't?) and you are serving corn muffins, For contrast, there is a fabulous slivered Granny Smith apple with greens and maple dressing I got from this board. If you are interested I will post it. There also is one with mandarin oranges that is also good with tortilla/taco soup.
    My tortilla soup has corn so I would switch that to yellow bell pepper for color. Avocado goes great with the soup - often float some in the bowl anyway.

I'm also curious who posted the apple & cranberry salad. It's very similar to a BA recipe using apples and dried cherries - dressing is the same. I just made that salad yesterday using cranberries.
    We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
    -M. Acklam

Sticking with the theme you have going:

From The Ottawa Citizen, Aug. 1, 2007

For a tasty and spicy, smoky flavour, add 2 teaspoons (10 mL) minced chipotle in adobo sauce to the dressing.

Fiesta Slaw with Chili Tortilla Strips Dressing

Serves 8
    - 1/3 cup (75 mL) light mayonnaise
    - 2 tablespoons (25 mL) cider vinegar
    - 1 tablespoon (15 mL) lime juice
    - 1/2 teaspoon (2 mL) each, ground cumin and salt
    For the chili tortilla strips:
    - 2 small corn or whole wheat tortillas
    - Chili powder, to taste
    For the slaw:
    - 5 cups (1.25 L) green cabbage, shredded
    - 1 cup (250 mL) corn kernels, cooked (may use frozen)
    - 1 tomato, seeded and chopped
    - 1 carrot, grated
    - 1/4 cup (50 mL) onion and radishes, sliced
    - 1/4 cup (50 mL) fresh cilantro leaves, chopped (optional)
    - Leaf, Boston or Bibb lettuce

1. To make the dressing, in a small bowl or measuring cup whisk together mayonnaise, vinegar, lime juice, cumin and salt. Set aside.
    2. For the chili tortilla strips, lightly brush one side of tortillas with water; sprinkle with chili powder, to taste. Cut into thin strips and place on paper towel-lined microwaveable plate. Microwave on high for 90 seconds, or until crisp.
    3. To prepare the slaw, in a large bowl combine cabbage, corn, tomato, carrot, onion, radishes, and cilantro (if using); toss with dressing.
    4. To serve, line serving platter with lettuce leaves. Top with slaw and garnish with chili tortilla strips.
    Cheers! Andy

Thank you!

Thank you all so much for the great ideas! I took a lot of inspiration from your suggestions and decided to go with the following:

* red leaf lettuce
    * cheddar cheese crumbles
    * cherry tomatoes
    * avocado
    * black beans
    * cilantro
    * ranch dressing

Have a terrific weekend!

:-) Kathy

ADM - Thanks for posting both of those recipes. They look wonderful. I'm going to make the apple/maple salad for the party on Sunday.

Yes, this is what I was looking for. It sounds extra delicious.
    green smoke discount code
    Older than the internet.