Community Message Boards

Thread: Need a Crowd Pleasing Salad

Need a Crowd Pleasing Salad

I am attending a large family gathering tomorrow and have committed to bringing a salad. Problem is I'm having trouble trying to decide what to take. It doesn't have to be a tossed salad, but it should be something without too many unusual ingredients, otherwise, only about 4 of us will eat it.

Does anyone have any good suggestions for me?

Thanks!

When I do a tossed salad for a crowd I set it up like a salad bar. So much easier for those who eat salad to pick and choose what they want. Just a thought!
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

I really like the idea of a salad bar also, but sometime space prohibits that. I also sympathize with you about fussy eaters as I seem to go through that all the time.

What about the broccoli, cheddar, bacon salad with a mayo based dressing. If you are interested I can get that for you.

This next salad says it all....saying that I have 2 family members who won't eat the mushrooms

Simple Salad

½ cup vegetable oil
    ¼ cup white vinegar
    ¼ cup slice green onion
    2 Tbsp. parsley
    1 tsp. sugar
    1 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. dry mustard
    1/8 tsp tobasco

Mix all of the above very well and pour over 1 head of lettuce that you have washed, dried and broken into bite sized pieces. Add ½ pound of sliced white mushrooms!

Good Luck!

Danita

This isn't salad, but it is REALLY easy to make and tastes very good, it is my go-to recipe for situations like that:
    http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recip...825B7F942886A9

Also, I really like this one because I'm big into pomegranates right now. I don't do anchovies, but you can keep them or get rid of them depending on you and your guests tastes. OH, I also don't do the creme in the recipe...that is just too much because of the cheese:
    http://www.cookstr.com/recipes/favorite-winter-salad

Finally, I always love salad with warm rice! Brown rice, spinach, bell peppers, corn, chickpeas, (I throw in tofu) and some kind of light vinagrette go wonderful together!

Just posted this to another thread... My go-to tossed salad is quick and easy and seems to please most palates. Red leaf lettuce, chickpeas, cherry tomatoes, avocado, and big curls of parmesan throughout. You could certainly add croutons or sliced almonds, too. I usually use a balsamic vinaigrette on top.

Before I bother, let me know if you have access to Briana's homestyle Blush Wine vinagairette (sp)...if you do, then I will post my recipe. Haven't had a dissenter yet.

I really like this one, and fairly generic. I think I cut back on the oil.

APPLE, DRIED CHERRY, AND WALNUT SALAD WITH MAPLE DRESSING

Maple Dressing
    1/4 cup mayonnaise
    1/4 cup pure maple syrup
    3 tablespoons Champagne vinegar or other white wine vinegar
    2 teaspoons sugar (can cut back)
    1/2 cup vegetable oil

Salad
    1 5-ounce bag mixed baby greens (about 10 cups lightly packed)
    2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, cut into matchstick-size strips (don’t have to peel, can just dice)
    1/2 cup dried tart cherries
    1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted

For dressing:
    Whisk mayonnaise, maple syrup, vinegar, and sugar in medium bowl to blend. Gradually whisk in oil until mixture thickens slightly. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Dressing can be prepared 3 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Rewhisk before using.)

For salad:
    Toss greens, apples, cherries, and 1/4 cup walnuts in large bowl to combine. Toss with enough dressing to coat. Divide salad equally among plates. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup walnuts and serve.

Makes 6 servings.
    _
    Bon Appétit
    September 2002

I posted a cauliflower, bacon, spinach, onion/parm salad that I can't stop eating!

Could it be a bean salad?? There are several posted here that are great.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

Thanks for all the good ideas! Luv2cook, I'm not sure if I have access to the Briana's vinaigrette - will have to check and let you know.

Applecrisp, thanks for the reminder of the maple salad - I love that one. In fact, I think I took it to this same family gathering a few years ago and it was a hit.

Wallycat, thanks for the bean salad idea - I hadn't thought of that yet.

I love the sound of the cauliflower salad - will look that up.

And thanks to everyone else for your ideas. I need to look through the pantry and fridge and make a decision. Time's a wastin'!

Luv2Cook - would you mind posting the Blush recipe - I love Briana's dressings - particularly the Blush Wine one.

Thanks,
    Elaine