Community Message Boards

Thread: Question about doubling a recipe....

Question about doubling a recipe....

If I double the recipe below and make it in a 9x13, do you think it would bake in about the same amount of time? (50 - 60 minutes). A single recipe calls for a 2 quart baking dish, and I have no idea how big that is.

I have to make it for an early morning function tomorrow, and I don't want to be late due to underestimating the cooking time. OTOH, I don't really want to get up a lot earlier than I need to in order to get the thing ready. Any thoughts would be appreciated. TIA!

Farmer's Casserole
    SOURCE: Better Homes and Gardens YEAR: February PAGE: 208

INGREDIENTS FOR 6 SERVINGS:
    3 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
    3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese wit hjalapeno peppers or shredded cheddar cheese (3 ounces)
    1 cup diced fully cooked ham or Canadian bacon
    1/4 cup sliced green onions
    4 beaten eggs or 1 cup egg substitue
    1 (12-ounce) can evaporated skim milk
    1/4 tsp. pepper
    1/8 tsp. salt

INSTRUCTIONS:
    Grease a 2 quart square baking dish. Arrange potatoes evenly in the bottom of the dish. Sprinkle with cheese, ham and green onion.

In a medium mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, pepper and salt. Pour egg mixture over potato mixture in dish (The dish may be covered and refrigerated at this point for several hours or overnight.) Bake, uncovered, in a 350 oven for 40 to 45 minutes (or 55 to 60 minutes if made ahead and chilled) or till center appears set. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

Yield: 6 servings

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION:
    Calories 247 Fat 12g Protein 18g Carbs 18g Sodium 516mg
    kathyb

Less rhetoric, more cowbell!

When I double I use a pan larger than 9x13 (I think that's just slightly larger than a 2qt). I'd have to go measure the pan but I do only bake it 55 minutes.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Okay, I measured (and then read the bottom of the dish ) and it's a 15x10x2 and it says it's a 4qt dish.

Thanks, Sneezles. The only 10x15 baking pans I have are not very deep. If I double and bake it in 2 9x13's, I am guessing the time is about the same if you don't have to increase the time for a 10 x 15, right? Sometimes when I bake multiple items at the same time, it seems like they ALL take longer to bake....

Also, if a 9x13 is a 2 quart casserole, don't you think it would serve more than 6? Especially if there are bagels and juice to go with? (Another mom and I are both supposed to bring casserole enough to feed a total of 24 people, but I haven't heard from her...)
    kathyb

Kathy,
    We have the casserole every Christmas morning, there are only 6 of us at the meal and Grandma doesn't' really eat enough to count...there is also a Honey Baked, homemade biscuits, a fruit salad, and a french toast casserole. With all of that there is only a couple of servings left from a double recipe. Now DS#3 doesn't eat much of anything besides the casserole, biscuits and ham but he does eat a lot (21, 6'4, 160 pounds with the metabolism of a gnat...I'm thinking gnats have a very active metabolism).

If you are going to bake both pans at the same time you might switch positions halfway through but I think you just might need a bit more time though not more than 10 minutes I would guess.

Thanks a lot for the advice! I am counting on the other mom bringing about the same amount, but still haven't heard from her. I will do it as you suggest, and hope the coach brings lots of bagels!!
    kathyb

You are planning on throwing it together tonight, right? My baking time is based on it sitting overnight in the fridge.