Community Message Boards

Thread: how to measure 16 oz?

how to measure 16 oz?

I have an very old recipe for mint brownies that calls for a 16 oz can of hersheys chocolate syrup. well, it doesn't come in a can anymore! I had some syrup in a plastic bottle but not enough so I bought another. in a glass measuring cup I wasn't sure if I should be measuring 16 oz, 2 cups, or if I should have been doing it by 16 oz on the kitchen scale? I remember weight and liquid oz are different but how was the old can measured? there was a significant difference between the two and I went with the weight on the scale. they turned out fine, but which is likely correct?
    "If the world were a logical place, men would ride side saddle." Rita Mae Brown

16oz in a glass measure is 2 cups. I'd go with the glass measure rather than the scale as it's for dry weight. JMHO.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

canned hershey's syrup

Hi - I'm pretty sure that hershey's syrup is available in a can - I bought some just a couple of months ago. It's with the baking chocolates, if I remember, rather than with the chocolate milk syrups.

Syrups do not weigh the same per cup as butter or water.

Honey, maple syrup, agave, corn syrup, brown rice syrup actually weigh 11.25 oz per cup (give or take 1/4 oz or so due to slightly different water content). I would imagine that the bulk of the weight in a can of Hershey's syrup is corn syrup (and HFCS). I would use a scale as it does ask for weight not volume. I think that that particular syrup weighing 16 oz would not give you 2 cups.

I have seen the Hershey's syrup in tins/cans often.

Dolores
    "we can't go 'round measuring our goodness by what we don't do, by what we deny ourselves, what we resist and who we exclude...
    we've got to measure goodness by what we embrace, what we create, and who we include."
    Pierre Henri in Chocolat
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    www.photographybydolores.com

I still buy Hershey's in a can here in the D.C. area. In our stores it is sold near the ice cream, or on the coffee and tea aisles.

I have made recipes calling for a can of syrup (most recently BC flourless cake), and only had a bottle of syrup on hand. I measured it using a liquid measuring cup. No problems with the cake.

Kathy

I haven't seen a can in years! I was at a big Safeway but I only looked near the ice cream... it's not my usual store to shop at. I've seen it in the vertical squeeze bottles, and this time it was in one of those upside down squeeze bottles. It said 15 oz but it was just slightly over 1 cup when I measured it. My brownies turned out good so maybe the amount of syrup is not critical but DH remembered them as being more dense than they were. when I make them again I may try the larger amount and see if there's a difference.
    I threw a couple other variables in there too. the syrup was "extra chocolatey" type and the only 15x10 pan I had was an insulated one. so baking time was longer. Thanks everyone for your input.
    "If the world were a logical place, men would ride side saddle." Rita Mae Brown