Community Message Boards

Thread: Substitutions for Prosciutto?

Substitutions for Prosciutto?

Hi, all -

I'm interested in making a vodka sauce, and it calls for prosciutto. (You saute the prosciutto, then take it from the pan and saute the various onions and garlic in a tablespoon of the grease) I made it with the prosciutto, but while it did add flavor, it also added a lot of grease, and transmogrified into a sort of slimy, gloppy item in the sauce.

I was wondering if the master cooks on this board have run into this and if so, what they did.

As I see it, the options are:
    bacon grease sans bacon
    bacon bits
    Olive oil for sauteeing and then, possibly, dried beef (rinsed to get some of the salt out)

Any other suggestions?

Also, if anyone has a bang-up vodka sauce to share, I'd love to see it!
    Nothing in the history of mankind can foul things up quicker than a computer
    ......with the possible exception of tequila and handguns.
    --Anonymous

Diana, I don't have a vodka sauce for you, but I found this about prosciutto on Cook's Thesaurus (www.foodsubs.com):

"Prosciutto hails from Italy and is reknown for its delicate, salty flavor. It's usually cut into paper thin slices and served raw. Especially well regarded is Parma ham, which comes from Parma in Italy. Select a prosciutto that's shiny and deeply colored. Substitutes: culatello (better than prosciutto) OR Serrano ham OR Bayonne ham OR York ham OR Ardennes ham OR Westphalian ham (saltier) OR Smithfield ham OR Black Forest ham OR bresaola (stronger flavor) OR capicola OR other dried cured ham OR lean bacon (blanch it first in boiling water for a few minutes, then rinse and drain)"

I've never found it to be slimy or gloppy when I've had case to saute it. Were your slices paper-thin? Otherwise, unfortunately, I don't have any other suggestions.

Arrow

I wouldn't sub. it, if you liked the 'flavor'. I always cut off all of the fatty parts of the slices of prosciutto after cooking it, then chop up just the prosciutto meat and add it back to the sauce.
    I trim the meat and/or refrigerate the sauce before serving to skim off the solidified fat. Then there aren't any chunks 'o fat swimmin' around IN it or on TOP of it-it makes me gag!
    TY to Ralph for the info. on prosciutto! There are alot of other alternatives you could use too. Good luck, Zinnia

Smile My Favorite Vodka Sauce

I get great reviews when I make this. I usually substitute fat free half and half for the cream. Sorry I don't have the nutritional content.

6 Sun dried Tomatoes (not in oil)
    1 8 oz. Can tomato sauce
    2 T Vodka
    1/3 cup whipping cream or half and half
    2 oz pancetta (or bacon)
    1 2 cloves of garlic
    lb. penne pasta
    1 T butter
    3 T. Parmesan cheese

Snip sun dried tomatoes into fine pieces and combine with vodka. Set aside.

Chop pancetta into small pieces. Melt butter in large skillet, add pancetta and garlic and saute over medium heat until lightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes.

Add sun dried tomatoes and vodka and stir until liquid almost evaporates. Stir in tomato sauce and cream. Simmer uncovered 8 to 9 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Cook penne in boiling salted water 7 to 8 minutes or according to package directions.

Drain penne and return to pan. Pour sauce over pasta, sprinkle with Parmesan and toss until pasta is well coated.

smoke flavoring

Hi,
    I make a vodka sauce that calls for bacon. I don't really have anything against bacon but I always feel it is a waste to buy a whole package when I know I won't use it all and it will go to waste so I have substituted Smoke flavoring in recipies that call for bacon mainly as a source of taste enhancement (like the vodka sauce).

I have found this flavoring near the Worscester Sauce in the supermarkets, it is liquid and in a small dark bottle. I think it works great...just remember a little goes a long way!

Hope this helps,
    Lisa

Jennie L
    Thanks so much for the recipe - it sounds better than the one I was making. I'll try it and report back! Many thanks!

Livinart
    I'll look for the smoke flavoring. I've been using smoked salt, but its problem is that it's too salty (gosh, who'da thunk it? ). The liquid smoke sounds better.

Zinnia
    I'll try dicing prosciutto fine if I use it. And with the pancetta I'll do the same.

Ralph
    Interesting info about prosciutto. Now if you could just somehow 'virtual'-post a strip of it around a melon ball, I'd be happy!
    Nothing in the history of mankind can foul things up quicker than a computer
    ......with the possible exception of tequila and handguns.
    --Anonymous

Originally posted by beejayw1
    Now if you could just somehow 'virtual'-post a strip of it around a melon ball, I'd be happy!
    Great idea, but I'm not as quite adept at graphics as some of our other friends here are, so I won't even try!