Community Message Boards

Thread: What do you think - will the airport be slammed or dead on Christmas Eve?

What do you think - will the airport be slammed or dead on Christmas Eve?

DH & I are flying to Houston Christmas Eve, and I am trying to figure out what I should expect in terms of airport congestion that evening. I would expect the morning to be somewhat busy but I'm hoping that by early evening, which is when our flight leaves, most people will have already arrived at their destinations or be well on their way. Thoughts? With all the weather delays all over the country, though, I'm wondering if people aren't just flying whenever they can get a flight, even if that's Christmas Eve.

Of course, ideally I'd arrive at the airport with plenty of time to spare and not worry about how busy it is. But my ideal never quite works out the way I hope/plan. More realistically, I am mad dashing out of the office at the last possible minute to get home and throw all my crap in a suitcase 30 seconds before my ride to the airport shows up, to barely get through ticketing and security in time to run to the gate and get on the plane before they are shutting the doors and to arrive at my destination a few hours later realizing I've forgotten to pack underwear.

I don't think it will be that bad - some people came in over the weekend and I think most would travel by Tuesday so they have arrived by Christmas Eve.

My mom is flying in tonight (830 pm) and her flight is already showing a 1 hour flight delay - I guess its because of previous stops.

DD2 used to fly on Christmas Eve -- usually the last flight out, which she often missed... It was hit or miss as to how busy it was. Usually, it was cleared out by the time she got there -- employees gone, or champing at the bit to go. Most people don't wait for the last flight, except in emergencies. Good luck!

Please do arrive early! You don't want to miss that last flight, and be stuck!
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

Eva -

I have no idea what the airports will be like, but how long are you going to be in town? Wanna grab a drink or something while you're here??? My cell number's on my facebook account.
    Terri _A
    I'm anal retentive. I'm a workaholic. I have insomnia. And I'm a control freak. That's why I'm not married. Who could stand me?” -Madonna

Read my ramblings about food and my nutty life on A Girl in the South!

HA I might see you at Sky Harbor. I'm taking BF to the airport. He's going to Chicago.

We were trying to decide the same thing.
    Visit my blog at http://www.theglobalkitchen.blogspot.com/
    "A gourmet who thinks of calories is like a tart who looks at her watch."

James Beard

You can check DIA's website to see how long security waits are, and what the status of parking is. Maybe you can do something similar and just check it periodically throughout the day to try and get a feel for things?
    “When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed
    door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.”

Helen Keller (1880–1968)

I think that between the economy and Christmas being on a Thursday, it won't be that bad. I was shocked that the airports were empty the day before Thanksgiving! Usually they start reporting full parking lots early Wednesday morning, but it never happened. Though with all the weather issues...yet another consideration I guess.
    Every time I travel I swear next time I won't get to the airport so early, but every time, there I am, wandering around looooong before there's even an agent at the gate .
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

So essentially it could be hit or miss.

Terri, I am in town for a week (we fly out NYE) and would love to get together! I am trying to make plans to meet up with Rebecca also, so maybe we could get a little group together one afternoon or evening for drinks - I will send out a note on FB.