Community Message Boards

Thread: ISO Sweet Potato & Black Bean Enchilada Recipe

ISO Sweet Potato & Black Bean Enchilada Recipe

Hi - does anyone have a recipe for this? Also, what would you serve with this? I am hoping to steer away from rice because I don't want it to be fatty.

Thanks!

Not an enchilada, but here's the recipe I use, although I just make sort of a soft taco out of it rather than bothering with quesadillas. I usually don't serve anything with it because between the chicken, sweet potatoes, and black beans, it makes a complete meal.

Sweet-Potato Chicken Quesadillas

From Every Day with Rachael Ray, December-January 2007

Ingredients
    1 sweet potato, peeled and cubed
    One 15-ounce can black beans
    Four 10-inch flour tortillas
    1 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
    2 cups shredded jack cheese

In a pot of boiling water, cook the sweet potato until softened, about 10 minutes. Drain and return to pot. Add the beans and mash; spread onto 2 tortillas. Top each with chicken, cheese and a second tortilla; press to flatten. In a skillet, cook each quesadilla over medium-high heat until the cheese is melted, about 4 minutes; flip and cook for about 2 minutes more. Cut into wedges.

ETA: I always add salt, pepper, cayenne, and cumin to taste to the sweet potato/black bean mixture for more flavor.
    Last edited by ___Rhianna___; 01-03-2009 at 01:10 PM.
    "Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you."
    ~Tommy Smothers

This is Bittman's sweet potato and beans, "enchilada style," more a casserole than a traditional enchilada (a lot of the perfectionist types here did some whining after I posted it ), but it's still very good, and made quite often here. As the note says, black beans work as well as the pintos of the title.

http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...4&postcount=48

Bob

I have a recipe for Spicy Pumpkin Sauce Enchiladas (below) that have black beans in them. I found it on these boards but the original source was Everyday Foods, May 2004.

A salad would be a great starter/side and I always make guacomole when I do Mexican or Tex-Mex dishes. Rice is good too, there does not need to be any fat at all in rice.

Spicy Pumpkin Sauce Enchiladas

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 can pumpkin puree -- (15 ounce)
    4 cloves garlic -- peeled
    1 jalapeno -- quartered (remove ribs and seeds for less heat, if desired)
    1 tsp. chili powder
    8 (6 inch) corn tortillas
    Filling of choice -- (see note)
    1 1/2 cups cheese -- sharp white (6 ounces) grated

Preheat oven to 425.

In a blender, puree pumpkin, garlic, jalapeno, chili powder, 2-1/2 cups water, 2 tsps. salt and 1/4 tsp black pepper until smooth. (Hold blender top firmly as blender will be quite full.) Pour 1 cup of the sauce into the bottom of an 8 inch square or other shallow baking dish.

Roll tortillas with filling; mound on half of the tortilla and roll up; place seam side down in baking dish.

Pour remaining sauce on top; sprinkle with cheese. Place dish on a baking sheet (I didn't need to); bake until cheese is golden and sauce is bubbling, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool five minutes before serving.

NOTE: two cups black beans, half chopped fine in the food processor, then combined with one-half cup low-fat sour cream that has been combined with a chopped chipotle and two chopped scallions

Source:
    "Everyday Food; May 2004"
    Sarah