Community Message Boards

Thread: Anyone use Clairol Nice & Easy Root Touch-Up?

Anyone use Clairol Nice & Easy Root Touch-Up?

I'm thinking of trying Clairol's Nice & Easy Root Touch-Up. Currently I get my hair professionally colored every 4-5 weeks and I start "sprouting" before that. I have fairly dark hair so the greys are quite noticeable. Maybe I should change my name to stripey.

Not only is it time consuming to get it colored, but more importantly the cost really adds up. Right now I spend $80 for a single process color. It would be great if I could extend the the amount of time before having to get it redone. I'm also planning to see if I could get my hair professionally colored for less than $80, although many of my friends also pay about that.

I thought just dealing with the roots would be easier and less risky. I've never colored myself before and holy cow, I hope I'm dark brown.

Any feedback would be great. Any brands you like better? Any tips?

ETA: I'm guessing I'm 60-70% grey in certain parts of my head, of course most grey in front. And, I've been coloring my hair since early 30's (I think) but it use to be much less frequent.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by applecrisp; 01-03-2009 at 06:53 PM.

Have you ever tried a shampoo-in hair color? I have used a permanent formula for the past 12 years and have no problems with it (especially since it's around $7 and the color lasts for 4+ weeks).

There are also more expensive ones (around $12) which give you multi-tones, but I have never tried these. Both would be way less expensive than a salon color!

As for the touch-up, I have used this to extend time between colorings and it works well. Here's a tip, though. Buy the first kit and keep the little tray and brush. After you use the solution which comes in the kit, buy a mid-priced permanent shampoo-in color close to your color (make certain that both the activator bottle and the tube which contains the color are the same size since it's easier to mix equal parts of each).

Use an old spoon and measure the activator into the tray, then the same amount of color paste and mix. Apply with the brush. You should be able to get 3 root touch-ups from this one box of haircolor.
    Vicci

Can't you just eat what I put in front of you? Do you have to know what it is?
    Ria Parkinson, Butterflies (BBC, 1978-83)

I've used the Root Touch Up but it really is only for touching up small areas of roots -- i.e. if you part your hair in the middle all the time or pull it back in the same place -- it then works well.

You can probably find a very good place that will charge less than $80 -- I was paying about $45 in Los Angeles for a single process. Once a hair dresser gets the shade right, it's really idiot's work -- one hairdresser said I could probably get it done as well at a beauty school for $10 -- highlighting is artistic and requires expertise.

I feel for you as I also have darkish hair and the upkeep is not much less than being a platinum blonde unless I want a white stripe -- and although Madonna has made dark roots fashionable, no one has made white roots fashionable yet.

I hate the time spent at the hair dresser but couldn't possible do it at home -- I've got lots of hair and the thought of the mess is beyond my comprehension. The people I know who do their own hair either have almost no hair and it's cut short or describe elaborate mechanisms to avoid the mess.

I don't know how one does the back properly -- and how one avoids re-dying large segments of hair.

I am considering the previously unthinkable which is to go natural -- I have let it go undyed for a LONG period of time to the point where it is more than just "roots" -- to the point where the tattooed Goth checkout clerk at TJ complimented me on my hair.
    Some days I pray for Silence, Some days I pray for Soul,
    Some days I just pray to the God of Sex and Drums and Rock 'N' Roll.

Meatloaf

I have(had) very dark brown hair. I started getting grays at 18 and both my parents grayed early. Mine is mostly around my temples. I have really short hair and I have to get it cut every 4 wks or it is outta control.

I had a color done at my salon a few yrs ago and it was $80 plus cut and the temples started sprouting in about 2 wks!! :mad: I was not happy. I tried one more time and it was the same. I really think it is b/c my hair grows so quickly and w/ dark hair, grays show up more readily. So I was honest w/ my stylist and she recommended a non-permanent haircolor for me to try at home.

I have been using Clairol Brass Free Brunettes myself ever since. I color every 4 wks and it is usually about $5. I have been happy w/ it and I really can not tell a difference. My stylist was just commenting that the color looked good and she was asking about how I liked it.

Here is the link: http://www.clairol.com/naturalinstin...Free/index.jsp

I have never tried the root touch up b/c it was a permanent color and I was more afraid of that. I only put the non-perm color on my roots anyway, though.

just my thoughts. Good luck.

The amount of gray in one's hair is an issue in terms of home products. Once one has more than 50% gray, most of the home products aren't recommended -- Brass Free for example can't be use if one has more than 50% gray.

Meatloaf

Thanks everyone -- thanks so much for the feedback.

Vicci -- I've never heard of shampoo-in-color except for the Aveda type products that say they help with color fade but doesn't tackle greys. Glad to hear the touch up works well, I'm just hoping to gain a few more weeks between professional coloring. Thanks for the tips.

Blazedog -- You're right, I'm just looking to help the part area, along my hairline. Let's say when I pull back my hair in a barrette, it's not pretty. I am going to make some calls and get some pricing on a single process and haircut (I pay $80 for a cut too). I agree, not much involved for a salon to do a single process, just mix the stuff and apply. And, when I go to just get the color, I have to dry my hair myself or pay extra for it (I can't recall the price but certainly over $25, and more for the more senior stylists). My hairdresser sometimes is able to get one of the assistants in training to blow dry it for me, but no guarantee they will have time.

I like the color my hairdresser mixes up, but hey, I have dark brown hair, it should be rather easy to match. One good thing about all the grey, my hair doesn't look flat in color since the grey picks up the color differently so pseudo looking highlights.

Pharmarepgirl --- I'm totally intimidated to fully color my own hair. When I was little, my mom used to do it, and it was real messy. I know the products have changed quite a bit though with the applicators etc. I have super thick, super coarse hair so I just imagine looking like Cousin It covered with hair color.

Any other opinions of course welcome!

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by applecrisp View Post
    Thanks everyone -- thanks so much for the feedback.

Pharmarepgirl --- I'm totally intimidated to fully color my own hair. When I was little, my mom used to do it, and it was real messy. I know the products have changed quite a bit though with the applicators etc. I have super thick, super coarse hair so I just imagine looking like Cousin It covered with hair color.

Any other opinions of course welcome!

Thanks.

FWIW, I only use the color to touch up my roots. I do not color the whole hair shaft. My stylist actually told me not to but I only have gray at the root really b/c my hair is short. My gray is also mostly on the temples too so it is pretty easy. DH put the color on for me the first time but I hated relying on any help so I did it myself from then on. I can see that it would be messy w/ long, thick hair or more gray coverage. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by pharmarepgirl View Post
    FWIW, I only use the color to touch up my roots. I do not color the whole hair shaft. My stylist actually told me not to but I only have gray at the root really b/c my hair is short. My gray is also mostly on the temples too so it is pretty easy. DH put the color on for me the first time but I hated relying on any help so I did it myself from then on. I can see that it would be messy w/ long, thick hair or more gray coverage. Good luck!
    You're not supposed to put color on color -- a good colorist will be pretty careful about putting the color only on the parts that need color.

It's one of the reasons why a lot of home dyes get so fried resulting in the always attractive mall hair look (especially when coupled back in the 80's with the attractive fried perm look) -- because the hair is continually getting dye put on it. It's less of an issue if one has short hair since the hair is being cut off and isn't abused as much.

Applecrisp, we have the same hair issues -- matching color isn't that difficult as all dyes are based on a numeric system that matches color tone and depth of color -- have you thought about asking your colorist for your formula? You could claim you are moving and it would be too fair to travel.

Meatloaf

Applecrisp,
    I may be wrong (and I hope that somebody will correct me, if so) but I always was under the impression that shampoo-in hair color was the most common one in the stores (L'Oreal, which I use, and also Nice & Easy, etc.). It's basic-- you mix up the color apply it, wait, then rinse it out.

And it's not difficult. If my hair looked odd because I was coloring it unevenly DH (or my sister, friends, etc) would definitely have told me by now, especially since I've been doing this for so long. I have dark brown hair, and it's probably 80% grey by now (thanks to the genes on my Dad's side...)

Counting tips, you could save close to $1,000/year by doing your haircoloring at home, even using the more pricey brands.

I find that it also saves me time from having to go to a salon since I tend to do this in the evening or when I have a break in the day. If you do a search, there have been threads that discussed the "how-to".

But if you do just the touch-ups, it will give you an extra week or two between colorings. I do this when I'm too busy to set aside an hour to do a full coloring. PM me if you have any more questions. Personally, I just cannot imagine ever taking on the expense of going to a salon, I even managed to do the touch-ups when I broke my ankle last year!
    Vicci

Can't you just eat what I put in front of you? Do you have to know what it is?
    Ria Parkinson, Butterflies (BBC, 1978-83)

Vicci,

When you said shampoo-in hair color I thought you meant something that you use the same way you do shampoo, I wasn't even thinking abou the stuff like Loreal that you mix, apply, sit for a bit, and wash out.

I agree, it would be a signiificant savings if I did it myself, plus, its quite time consuming with going to the salon etc. Maybe coloring at home is easier than I think --- certainly tons of people do it.

I think I'm going to start with the Root Touch Up and see what I think and then who knows.

Thanks for your help!

May I pop in here to ask if there's any hope for those of us who highlight? Applecrisp, I understand about the root touch-up; I'm in the same boat b/c I often pull back my hair, so around the hairline you can really see when it starts growing out . . . thanks for starting this thread! It sounds like the shampoo-in colors just give you an overall color--? Vicci mentioned multi-tone shampoo-in colors but hadn't used them--anyone use these?

I don't think I'm very grey (have highlighted for so long, who knows? ), but I've highlighted just to add some interest to med-to-dark brown hair. Sheesh, the $$ adds up! With my former colorist years ago (not as skilled as my current one), I tried coloring it all back at once when repeat highlights were turning me too blonde; I was in shock at the overall dark look & asked her to lighten it back up again. I know she made it darker than my natural color; she insisted she didn't but I know none of my pre-color photos had me that dark! So I'm scared of the root touch-ups and the shampoo-in color; I don't know what kind of a job I'd do. My current colorist does a good job with foils for highlighting, and she'll periodically lowlight (correct term?) on the long part to keep me from going blonder & blonder. An effective process, but a pain to keep up & too expensive. And then there's the mistake of putting color on color--surely shampoo-in color would do that on highlights, and it'd also happen on long hair b/c the colored part isn't being cut off (meaning that with long hair, my options are pretty limited), right?

Hope the collective wisdom of the BB can make everyone's roots gorgeous w/o breaking the bank . . .

ETA: I don't want to highlight at home, but would consider at-home color to add interest to plain brown hair instead of continuing with pricey salon highlighting.
    Last edited by testkitchen45; 01-05-2009 at 08:40 AM.
    If you're afraid of butter, use cream. ~~ Julia Child

As you cook, you enjoy omniscience about food that no amount of label reading can match. Having retaken control of the meal from the food scientists, you know exactly what is in it. (Unless you start w/cream of mushroom soup, in which case all bets are off.) To reclaim control over one's food, to take it back from industry & science, is no small thing; indeed, in our time, cooking from scratch qualifies as subversive. ~~ Michael Pollan

Quote Originally Posted by testkitchen45 View Post
    May I pop in here to ask if there's any hope for those of us who highlight? Applecrisp, I understand about the root touch-up; I'm in the same boat b/c I often pull back my hair, so around the hairline you can really see when it starts growing out . . . thanks for starting this thread! It sounds like the shampoo-in colors just give you an overall color--? Vicci mentioned multi-tone shampoo-in colors but hadn't used them--anyone use these?

I don't think I'm very grey (have highlighted for so long, who knows? ), but I've highlighted just to add some interest to med-to-dark brown hair. Sheesh, the $$ adds up! With my former colorist years ago (not as skilled as my current one), I tried coloring it all back at once when repeat highlights were turning me too blonde; I was in shock at the overall dark look & asked her to lighten it back up again. I know she made it darker than my natural color; she insisted she didn't but I know none of my pre-color photos had me that dark! So I'm scared of the root touch-ups and the shampoo-in color; I don't know what kind of a job I'd do. My current colorist does a good job with foils for highlighting, and she'll periodically lowlight (correct term?) on the long part to keep me from going blonder & blonder. An effective process, but a pain to keep up & too expensive. And then there's the mistake of putting color on color--surely shampoo-in color would do that on highlights, and it'd also happen on long hair b/c the colored part isn't being cut off (meaning that with long hair, my options are pretty limited), right?

Hope the collective wisdom of the BB can make everyone's roots gorgeous w/o breaking the bank . . .
    There isn't any way to highlight at home and get acceptable results -- it's really a very skilled process and as you probably know, some professionals are more skilled than others.

I have very gray hair and the single process color I use is lighter than my natural color -- which gives me natural highlights and avoids the very attractive shoe polish look that many dye jobs produce -- especially in the brunette family. Real hair (even brown hair -- with the exception of a lot of Asian hair) has lots of different colors going on.

Meatloaf

Blazedog,

I think we have similar hair. Since I go grey rather quick and need to color every 4-5 weeks, hence the thread about the root touch-up. Is this right, even if we match our natural colore, our grey is going to stick out like a sore thumb, since its the new growth that's coming in, which sure isn't brown.

So unless I go really light/dirty blonde or better yet what I call multicolored , there's no way to hide the gray.

The only good thing about the grey is that it too give me more dimension/the look of highlights -- I guess because it picks up the colore differently. But man, it messed up my texture... wire, brillo, coarse. But that's another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by applecrisp View Post
    Blazedog,

I think we have similar hair. Since I go grey rather quick and need to color every 4-5 weeks, hence the thread about the root touch-up. Is this right, even if we match our natural colore, our grey is going to stick out like a sore thumb, since its the new growth that's coming in, which sure isn't brown.

So unless I go really light/dirty blonde or better yet what I call multicolored , there's no way to hide the gray.

The only good thing about the grey is that it too give me more dimension/the look of highlights -- I guess because it picks up the colore differently. But man, it messed up my texture... wire, brillo, coarse. But that's another thread.
    Yes I was going to post that we probably have the same hair issues -- when my hair is colored, people assume I did highlights.

The trick was to use dark blond as the base even though my natural hair color was more of a dark chestnut color. That way the grey is dyed with lighter shades so my hair is highlighted and low lighted.

Highlighting really doesn't help if one has dark hair to begin with since the same roots will show up -- and my roots aren't BLONDE -- they are white with dark strands. It's only people who have naturally mousy hair that are able to get away with highlights to hide the gray instead of single process.

The texture of my hair is pretty much the same -- maybe because I started graying so young that it's just regular hair -- it's way thick and wavy but not coarse.

Experience can vary -- I can't imagine being able to effectively home dye my "mop" -- heck I can hardly manage to effectively shampoo it when I am not feeling inspired.

ETA -- If you do decide to try the root touch up go for a light brown and not a darker brown -- I found that it was dark enough to "hide" the gray somewhat but not dark enough to mess up my next dye job by creating dark base hairs. I just don't have a hair style that worked since it only has enough dye for one part and around the face.
    Last edited by blazedog; 01-05-2009 at 09:48 AM.

Meatloaf