Community Message Boards

Thread: Cleaning self cleaning oven?

Cleaning self cleaning oven?

I have my first self cleaning oven. I had one before (that came with house but the self cleaning cycle never worked).

Tonight I went to grill my steak only to discover that the propane tank ran out of gas before I even started cooking.

So I went to plan B, which was to cook it in the oven. When it finished, I wiped off the inside door right away, but it was hot and the rest was too hot to wipe down.

So I waited. But I waited too long and now I can't wipe up the baked on grease. I've tried scrubbing with a cloth and hot water. And a little soap. And even a non-stick pad a little bit (not too much . . . since I wasn't sure about that). Well some came up but not all. Still sections of spattered grease that looks baked on.

I want to get it off before I use the oven again. I am leary about doing something like the self cleaning cycle and just baking it on super good. I am leary of trying other concoctions that might damage the surface so that I couldn't use the self cleaning cycle.

Mom suggested I buy a degreaser at the store and use that.

What should I do? I know you all probably have had self cleaning ovens much longer and know how to keep the interior clean without damaging it.
    Theresa & Gigi & Anisette & Enchante & Le Beau Ouiseaux Rouge

My SC oven was filthy when I moved in this house, although it would have been easy to clean it...so I was really puzzled by the way it looked. My self-cleaning cycle took care of it. Since you have gotten as much off as possible, it should be fine. Mine looks new after I use the self-cleaning cycle.
    Margaret

I'd run the self-cleaner but take the racks out. When I bought my stove a few years back they suggested that I remove the racks & clean them separately because the grease & food residue will bake onto the racks.
    Sue

I'm here with my best friend... my fork!! ~ Paula Deen

If you always keep your head up, you'll never find that lucky penny on the sidewalk.

My sc oven works great too! Another tip, you can use SOS on glass to clean it, if needed.

Yes, I remove my racks and clean them with SOS or take them outside and lay them on towels and spray with Easy Off Oven cleaner.

Let us know how you get along.

Good Luck!!
    Julie

Self cleaning ovens have a different kind of coating on them and will not clean up the same as a non self cleaning oven. Most I've seen will also tell you not to use cleaners on them because you could damage the self cleaning finish. Follow the directions for your oven about cleaners and running the cleaning cycle if needed.

Normal baking is not likely to produce a need to run a cleaning cycle. Broiling and drippy things (and you can put a sheet under something you expect top drip), so if you normally grill, you won't run the cleaning cycle often. It uses some electricity, but new ovens are well insulated and you aren't using harsh chemicals. I never ran the cycle in my old oven (about 4 years) and have run it once in the new one. DH put in something that dripped, so I may be about to run it again -- once a year on average is something I can live with.

Oh, not only can the stuff bake onto the racks, some will discolor under the SC heat. y oven says to take out the racks and the side supports for them, but they pop out. it was surprisingly easy.

I cleaned the window with nail polish remover very successfully, washed it completely with soap and water. Dried it then ran my SC oven without racks. It cleaned up beautifully. I agree with not using other products on the floor or walls of the oven, I have ruined the finish on my downstairs sc oven .
    "There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

I agree with the others. The self-cleaning cycle should get everything off. Don't be afraid of it. It really works. It takes a few hours, though, so make sure you have enough time and aren't expecting company since it can smoke a little and smell kind of funky if there's a lot of grease and stuff. It will leave an ash from the burned-off stuff and you just wipe it with a sponge. I leave my racks in...it does make the finish on the racks kind of dull, but that doesn't bother me. They don't slide as easily if you leave the racks in while self-cleaning, but I just spray them with cooking spray and they slide fine after that. I do find that the self-cleaning doesn't necessarily clean the glass that well, though. Maybe I'll try the nail polish remover trick that SusanL posted.

You probably already know this, but I believe that the fumes from the self-cleaning cycle can be dangerous to birds so you might want to check with your vet before running it. (Hopefully I'm remembering correctly that you are a bird owner, otherwise just ignore me. And I'm probably telling you something you already know. I'll shut up now.)
    I believe in the forest, and in the meadow, and in the night in which the corn grows. -Henry David Thoreau

I'm glad to read all the good reports on the sc ovens. I've never used that sc cycle, but I've been debating about it for several weeks now. I did try SusanL's trick with the nail polish remover. It did loosen up the gunk on the glass, but I ended up needing a razor blade to get the rest of it off. Maybe I'll be brave and now run the sc. I'm scared and excited all at the same time. How dumb is that?
    TKay

I do have a bird. So I was definitely going to move his cage away from all this. And open the windows and have the fan running.

I am tempted to try the self cleaning to see if it does get it up. My window is clean, just the spatters on the bottom of the oven. I guess I am being a goof, but I just want it to look clean and pretty again.

My friend said she never uses the self cleaning because it discolored the oven and the door. And my manual says it can discolor the oven. So I didn't want to use it and have it look worse than just the grease spatters in the bottom of the oven.

But realistically, I will want to use the self cleaning at some poiint. For example, I want to roast a turkey using high heat, and I know that will make a mess. I dont' want to be afraid of using my oven for fear of not beign able to clean it.

I also have heard horror stories of folks using the self cleaning cycle and then getting an error message on their oven and it not unlocking. But I guess it is better to find that out early than not.

Anybody have a bad experience that I should be warned about before using the self cleaning cycle? My oven is only 2 months old and since I was gone for several weeks, has really only been used for about a month.

I've been afraid to bake pizza directly on the rack because I didn't want to have a mess to clean up and was trying to avoid using the self cleaning cycle. But i guess if I just use it and find out it works well, then I will be open to doing the pizza on the rack again.

I will take the racks out. I dont' want them to discolor. And it sounds like when they need to be cleaned it is easy enough to clean them other ways.

Oh, and one of my friends said that using the self cleaning cycle on my oven will discolor and warp the cabinets around it.

Quote Originally Posted by armel View Post
    Oh, and one of my friends said that using the self cleaning cycle on my oven will discolor and warp the cabinets around it.
    This is a new one! I've never heard of that, but can't say if it's true or not. I've lived in at least 3 houses with SC ovens and never had anything like that happen.
    Margaret

Quote Originally Posted by Alethea View Post
    the fumes from the self-cleaning cycle
    There won't be any fumes from running the cleaning cycle on a self-cleaning oven. If by fumes you are thinking of some kind of chemical-y smell which was indeed the case with those old spray-on cleaners (which I think were lye based). The self-cleaning cycle applies extremely high heat to basically incinerate anything baked onto the oven's finish. The worst you're going to get is a not so pleasant cooking smell if the oven is really soiled.

You will need to wipe down the oven (you'll have some white, ash-like residue) after it's done with the cycle but I'm sure your manual will tell you to wait until it's cooled off before applying any kind of additional cleaners to the surface. If you do it while it's still hot it could craze the finish. I would definitely remove all the racks. My manual warns to do this or else they will discolor.
    Linda

When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left and I could say “I used everything you gave me.”

Erma Bombeck

The fumes (not from chemicals) from cleaning a self cleaning oven can be toxic to birds. Even if you or I can't smell anything. So that is what alethea is talking about. My manual even says that. I have all the windows and doors open, and bird's cage is away from the kitchen in front of a window. So he should be good. Right now he is singing. So that is a good sign.

Oh, and if you hadn't gathered . . . this means I decided to go for it! I went with the light cycle. so it cleans for 2 hours and then cools down for one.

I wondered if I could even do it for shorter, like 1 hours, but since the manual didn't say that, I figured I would follow instructions. I did remove the racks. They aren't soiled at all anyway.

It worked great. The spattered grease is gone. If I didn't know I should wipe it down, I wouldn't be able to tell from the oven. It doesn't look like it has residue or anything. Probably because it was clean except where it spattered grease from this one steak.

And the bird survived fine. Better than me truthfully. It did have a weird type of smell.

Thanks for the follow up. How long did it take? I haven't used my sc cycle yet. I don't know why I'm hesitant.
    TKay

Quote Originally Posted by TKay View Post
    Thanks for the follow up. How long did it take? I haven't used my sc cycle yet. I don't know why I'm hesitant.
    Mine has a cycle where you can choose "light", "medium" or "heavy". on the light cycle it was 2 hours of cleaning. and then it cools down until it reaches a cool enough internal temperature. then it will allow the oven to be opened. I think the cool down is supposedly 1 hour but i wasn't paying attention to that part.

I wish I had started earlier in the day. I had the windows open so birdie would survive, but the sun started going down before I was done.

I am glad I wasn't convinced by friends to just use a cleaner instead.