Community Message Boards

Thread: Mamma Mia Pizza Party dessert

Mamma Mia Pizza Party dessert

Hi, my sister and I are hosting a 'mamma mia' movie watching party on monday and are going to be ordering in pizzas. I want to stick with the theme and make some sort of a dessert pizza, I'd love to do a fruit one and make it a little healthier but all the good fruits are way to expensive this time of year. Does anyone have any recipes or ideas for something that would be a good dessert but not overly decadent?

what about something like this: http://joyofbaking.com/PuffPastryTartsWithCream.html

it does have fruit but you can use whatever's cheapest.

or this:
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Lemon-B...za/Detail.aspx
    Cook free or die -- Anthony Bourdain

Thumbs up

This Cinnamon Focaccia is delicious...
    https://community.cookinglight.com/s...namon+focaccia

And I know you said fruit is expensive right now but I thought I'd throw this one out there. It's wonderful. You can use canned mandarin oranges and pineapple and then fill in w/a little fresh fruit like strawberries, bananas, etc.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Fruit Pizza

Recipe By :BH&G Best Loved Community Recipes, pg. 156
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Dessert

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    Sugar Cookie Crust:
    1 cup butter -- softened
    1 cup sifted powdered sugar
    1/3 cup granulated sugar
    1 large egg
    1/2 t. vanilla
    1/4 t. almond extract
    2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    2 teaspoon baking soda
    2 teaspoon cream of tartar
    Orange Sauce:
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    1/4 t. orange zest
    1/4 t. lemon zest
    1 cup fresh orange juice
    2 T. fresh lemon juice
    4 t. cornstarch
    Filling:
    2 packages softened cream cheese -- (8 ounces each)
    1 cup sifted powdered sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    Fruit of choice: (about 7 cups total)
    strawberries, kiwi, pineapple,
    mandarin oranges, peaches, bananas,
    grapes, raspberrries, blueberries, etc.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugars until light . Mix in egg and extracts beating well.

Combine the dry ingredients and add to the creamed mixture and mix until combined.

Divide the dough in half and press into two 12 inch pizza pans that have been lightly greased (I used parchment paper). Lightly flour your fingertips if necessary.

Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden; cool. (mine took a little longer)

To prepare the orange sauce, combine all ingredients in a small saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until the mixture is thick. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Cover and cool sauce without stirring.

For the filling, beat cream cheese with powdered sugar and vanilla until light. Spread on cooled crust.

Prepare desired fruit and dry on paper towels.

Arrange fruit on top of filling in a decorative pattern. Glaze fruit with orange sauce and chill. Best served the same day you assemble it but leftovers are still good providing you dried your fruit off.
    NOTES : I used unsalted butter, so I added a scant 1/4 t. salt to the dry ingredients for the crust. I used 3/4 t. vanilla and about 1/8 t. almond extract in the crust. And I used a little more zest in the orange sauce. For the fruit I used sliced strawberries, pineapple chunks, sliced kiwi that had been cut in half, and mandarin oranges in the middle. I used 2 or 3 pints of strawberries, 2 large cans of pineapple chunks, 2 cans mandarin oranges, and 6 kiwi. This was too much fruit but I just took all the leftover fruit and dump it together for a fruit salad for the kids.

How about a fruit pizza with apples or pears on top instead of summer fruits? I saw Robin Miller make this one a few weeks ago.
    Terri

This apple pizza is really good. I don't use as much topping as is in the recipe.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/ind...ic,3904.0.html

Thanks for the good ideas.
    Cinnamon foccacia, that's absolutely brilliant! I must try this soon, not sure if I'll do it for monday though, just b/c much dough/bread will be consumed. I am obsessed with cinnamon so it is on my to make list.
    Still deciding, I found this cookie one on foodnetwork, sounds good too...hmm.. such decisions....

Janette's Oatmeal Cookie-Fruit Pizza
    , 2002, Janette Barber and Christina Deyo, all rights reserved

8 servings

Ingredients
    Cookie Crust:
    2 tablespoons butter
    1/4 cup honey
    1/2 cup light brown sugar
    1 egg white
    1/3 cup applesauce
    2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
    1/3 cup dried apricots, finely chopped
    Topping:
    8 ounces low-fat cream cheese, softened
    1/4 cup frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed
    2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
    4 kiwis, peeled and sliced
    1/2 cup canned sliced peaches packed in light syrup, strained
    1/2 cup strawberries, cut in 1/2 lengthwise
    1 medium banana, cut into 1/4-inch slices
    Directions
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

To make the cookie crust: Cream the butter, honey, and brown sugar together in a mixing bowl.

Add the egg white and combine. Mix in the applesauce and vanilla.

Sift the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon together. Add to the sugar mixture, stirring just to combine. Gently stir in the oats and apricots, just to combine.

Spread the batter on a 12-inch nonstick pizza pan or line a baking sheet with parchment paper into a 12-inch circle. Bake until lightly browned, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then carefully transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely.

To make the topping: In a mixing bowl, whip the cream cheese with the apple juice concentrate and lemon zest until light and creamy.

Spread the cream cheese mixture over the cookie, leaving a 1/2-inch border around the rim. Arrange the fruit over the top. Slice into wedges with a pizza cutter and serve.

Cook's Note: For maximum effect, when bringing this dessert to a friend's house, put it in an actual pizza box.