Community Message Boards

Thread: Dried beans - do they go bad or stale?

Dried beans - do they go bad or stale?

I have a huge bag of pinto beans in my pantry and they have probably been around for 2 years (at the most). Do dried beans go bad? Should I toss them and buy a new bag?

DH has requested his favorite bean recipe for his birthday so I'm putting together my shopping list.
    Go for it!

For a buck and change, I certainly wouldn't risk using them, especially for a special occasion.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bobmark226 View Post
    For a buck and change, I certainly wouldn't risk using them, especially for a special occasion.

Bob
    Agreed. I think they go stale and sometimes don't get tender.

Yes, when they're old they either will never soften or take a really long time so I would risk it. I'd hate to have them cooking for hours and just to have them not work.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

They just got dumped in the yard waste can!

Thanks everyone!
    Go for it!

Ruh-roh.... looks like I'll have to toss mine, too. Bummer -- I was going to try the pressure cooker tonight and won't have an opportunity to shop prior.

Kate

A little late on this response but I've found if you can sprout them (like you would sprout mung beans or alfalfa seeds) they are fine for cooking. Of course, this is not an 'I need to cook them tonight' solution. Bean longevity depends a lot on how they were stored.
    Anne

I'm impressed that your husband requested beans for his b'day---my DH is much higher maintenance! What is the bean recipe that he likes so much?
    “It is not a sign of good health to be well adjusted to a sick society”.----Krishnamurti

Quote Originally Posted by EllenL View Post
    I'm impressed that your husband requested beans for his b'day---my DH is much higher maintenance! What is the bean recipe that he likes so much?
    The recipe is from Vencil Mares and it is really good! We always serve it with smoked brisket, ribs or anything else DH decides to smoke!

Vencil's Slow Beans

2 cups dried pinto beans
    1/2 onion, finely chopped
    1 T chili powder
    1 t ground black pepper
    1 cup finely chopped bacon
    1 t salt, or more to taste

Sort the beans to remove any stones or grit. Rinse the beans and then place in a crockpot with 6 cups of water. Add th onion, chili powder, pepper, bacon and salt.

Cook on high for 2 hours. Stir. turn to low and simmer for 8 hours or overnight. Add more water as needed.

Makes about 6 cups.
    Go for it!

Don't you get "side effects" from beans that are cooked w/o being soaked first?

< maybe that's why your DH wanted them?? >
    If you're afraid of butter, use cream. ~~ Julia Child

As you cook, you enjoy omniscience about food that no amount of label reading can match. Having retaken control of the meal from the food scientists, you know exactly what is in it. (Unless you start w/cream of mushroom soup, in which case all bets are off.) To reclaim control over one's food, to take it back from industry & science, is no small thing; indeed, in our time, cooking from scratch qualifies as subversive. ~~ Michael Pollan