Community Message Boards

Thread: Keeping baking, sheet and jelly roll pans clean

Keeping baking, sheet and jelly roll pans clean

For some reason my pans get so dirty when I cook and then I cannot get them clean. My jelly roll pan looks extremely 'seasoned'.

I borrowed my friend's cookie sheet to make a pizza on yesterday. It was pristine. Now it looks like it's been through the ringer!

What are your secrets for keeping your baking pans nice? I need help!

Thanks!
    Becca.

Keeping sheet pans clean....

Becca,
    I use parchment paper or baking mats all the time. I have a GFS store 1/2 mi. from my home and buy parchment in lg sheets . I cut in half and they fit the half sheet pans great. I get 100 for $2.99. I use them for bread baking, pizza, cookies, cakes, roasting, etc. I really like baking on parchment esp. cookies and bread. Steph
    Last edited by Stephanie-Oh; 01-28-2009 at 06:48 AM.

I have ones that I keep seasoned for pizza and pepperoni rolls, and things like that. I keep my Al Clad clean and shiney for cookies, I also use a lot of parchment paper. My grandmother made pizza for a neighbor one time and when she got her pan back it looked brand new, my grandmother was devistated. She worked long and hard to get those pans black.

I have several cookie sheets and jelly roll pans that I use. I also use parchment paper, aluminum foil, a silicon sheet or just the bare pan/sheet sprayed with cooking spray...it just depends on what I am using the pan/sheet for at the time.

I also use parchment just because I don't like to clean up messes, but when I do get something on my baking sheet, I usually get it off with my Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.
    <)>>< Candace ><<)>

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie-Oh View Post
    Becca,
    I use parchment paper or baking mats all the time. I have a GSF store 1/2 mi. from my home and buy parchment in lg sheets . I cut in half and they fit the half sheet pans great. I get 100 for $2.99. I use them for bread baking, pizza, cookies, cakes, roasting, etc. I really like baking on parchment esp. cookies and bread. Steph
    Stephanie, What's a GSF store?

Quote Originally Posted by gigicancook View Post
    I have ones that I keep seasoned for pizza and pepperoni rolls, and things like that. I keep my Al Clad clean and shiney for cookies, I also use a lot of parchment paper. My grandmother made pizza for a neighbor one time and when she got her pan back it looked brand new, my grandmother was devistated. She worked long and hard to get those pans black.
    Oh what a terrible story about your Grandmother. I would be sad too... getting that perfect coating of black on a pan is hard work

Quote Originally Posted by Donnaluv2cruise View Post
    Stephanie, What's a GSF store?
    GFS is Gordon Food Service - it is basically a restaurant food supply store/warehouse store but you don't need a membership to enter. I think it is a Midwest thing
    - Josie

All my cookie sheets are stained and black, except my insulated ones from Williams-Sonoma which are specifically for cookies. But the regular pans are horrific. I am embarrassed to have people see them. But they cook things so well!
    "One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, unless one has dined well." - Virginia Woolf
    http://whatsinlaurenstummy.blogspot.com

None of mine are shiny and new looking anymore, either, but they work just great, so I don't care. I do use parchment on mine and use aluminum foil on them when I'm roasting vegetables, but they've still gotten dirty-looking. I've scrubbed them, but it doesn't come off, so I figured there's no harm in having them look dirty, even when I know they're clean.
    Terri

I always use parchment paper or silpats on my baking sheets so they're pretty clean. Pizza goes on my stone - which is stained and dark, dark, dark. It lives in the oven (except for when the oven gets cleaned).
    Lynne

To err is human, to forgive, canine.
    -- Anonymous

I have the golden ones from Williams & Sonoma and I've scrubbed them so hard the gold has come off. I think I am going to start over and get new pans and use parchment paper and just let them get black if that doesn't work.