Community Message Boards

Thread: Reheating in a crockpot

Reheating in a crockpot

I was planning on making the chili in the crockpot for Superbowl on Saturday, then reheating it in the crockpot on Sunday. I asked my friend if I could put the crockpot (liner only) in the refrigerator then reheat it. She told me that it is not recommended to reheat the food in the crockpot.
    What do yall advise?

I too have heard it is not advisable...but that said, I have done it several times myself and all who ate it lived to tell about it...but then again, I tend not to be overly cautious about such things..so hopefully others will chime in. I know there was a thread about this very thing not that long ago...

Sheila in MD

Personally, I would only worry if the dish being reheated was low acid (like chicken, or other low acidic foods) but chili??
    Plenty of tomatoes, vinegar and spice in chili so I would not be the slightest bit concerned.

Is it bacteria levels from slow re-heating that is the concern?? If so, reheating on high to shorten the danger zone would be my choice. But that's me.

Dolores
    "we can't go 'round measuring our goodness by what we don't do, by what we deny ourselves, what we resist and who we exclude...
    we've got to measure goodness by what we embrace, what we create, and who we include."
    Pierre Henri in Chocolat
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    www.photographybydolores.com

If you reheat the chili on the stove and then put it in the crockpot to keep warm until serving time, you are okay. I think that the crockpot does not get the food up through the danger zone temperature quick enough to be used for reheating.

I realize that people do reheat successfully, but my DH has had food poisoning twice (not from my cooking!) and I will do anything not to see him go through that again!
    Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.

Quote Originally Posted by madpots View Post
    I was planning on making the chili in the crockpot for Superbowl on Saturday, then reheating it in the crockpot on Sunday. I asked my friend if I could put the crockpot (liner only) in the refrigerator then reheat it. She told me that it is not recommended to reheat the food in the crockpot.
    What do yall advise?
    I can give you a few reasons not to do that.
    1. You might crack your pottery - I did
    2. I tried reheating chili that was room temperature and it took forever to heat up the pot. It was still lukewarm after an hour

I also reheated mashed potatoes at Thanksgiving and used the Reynolds Slow Cooker liners and it gave a terrible off-taste to wonderful potatoes. I will try once more without the liners and scrub the pottery liner.

Quote Originally Posted by BucknellAlum View Post
    If you reheat the chili on the stove and then put it in the crockpot to keep warm until serving time, you are okay. I think that the crockpot does not get the food up through the danger zone temperature quick enough to be used for reheating.

I realize that people do reheat successfully, but my DH has had food poisoning twice (not from my cooking!) and I will do anything not to see him go through that again!
    This is correct - the food doesn't get hot enough fast enough and stays in the danger zone too long.

I always reheat on the stove and put into the crockpot to keep warm through serving. An extra pot to wash, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

You could always prepare the chili and refrigerate items separately on Saturday, then just combine and cook it in the crockpot on Sunday.

Have fun and hope your team wins !
    Miche

Thanks for the suggestions. I was trying to get out of washing an extra pot! But I don't want to crack my pot and I don't want anybody to get sick, so I think I will reheat it and put it in the crockpot to serve.