Community Message Boards

Thread: What do you do with Daikon radishes?

What do you do with Daikon radishes?

On a whim the other day, I picked up a bunch of Daikon radishes at the produce stand. I have never had them before and aren't sure what to do with them other then peel and eat raw like a carrot? I tried looking for recipes but the one's I have found do not stand on their own or are used as garnishes. I was hoping to find something towards the salad route.

What would you guys suggest I do with the radishes? Any good recipes out there?
    I love cooking with wine sometimes I even put it in the food.

I use them in stir fry and salads, not very creative and I have no recipes. However, while I didn't annotate the names that all of the following recipes were posted by they all came from the BB...

Somen Noodle Salad With Sesame Dressing Recipe
    Ingredients
    100 g daikon radishes, julienned .
    1/2 tsp dashi, granules .
    100 g snow peas, finely sliced on diagonal .
    40 g sesame seeds, toasted .
    2 1/2 tbsps Japanese soy sauce .
    Salad .
    50 g baby english spinach leaves, trimmed .
    125 g dried somen noodles .
    1 green onion, sliced on the diagonal .
    100 g carrots, julienned .
    2 tbsps rice vinegar .
    2 tsps sugar .
    Dressing .
    1/2 tsp fresh ginger, grated .
    2 tsps toasted sesame seeds .
    125 ml water
    Directions
    Step #1 To make dressing, place the sesame seeds in a mortar & pestle & grind until fine & moist.
    Step #2 Combine the soy sauce, sugar, rice vinegar, ginger, dashi granules & 1/2 c water in a small saucepan & bring to the boil over high heat.
    Step #3 Reduce the heat to medium & let simmer, stirring, for 2 mins or until the dashi granules have dissolved.
    Step #4 Remove from the heat, cool.
    Step #5 Gradually mix with the ground sesame seeds, stirring to form a thick dressing.
    Step #6 Cook the noodles In a large-ish saucepan of boiling water for 2 mins or until tender.
    Step #7 Drain, rince under cold water & cool completely.
    Step #8 Cut into 10cm lengths using scissors.
    Step #9 Place the snow peas In a large-ish shallow bowl with the daikon, green onion, carrot, spinach leaves & noodles.
    Step #10 Add the dressing & toss well to mix.
    Step #11 Place in the fridge until ready to serve.
    Step #12 Just before serving, sprinkle the top this with toasted sesame seeds.
    Enjoy the Somen Noodle Salad With Sesame Dressing recipe

Zucchini & Yellow Squash Ribbons with Daikon, Oregano & Basil
    by Joanne Weir

Serves eight.

3 small zucchini (about 1 lb.)
    3 small yellow summer squash (about 1 lb.)
    1 large daikon radish (about 1/2 lb.)
    20 medium basil leaves, very thinly sliced
    2 tsp. chopped fresh oregano
    6 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
    2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
    1 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    Small basil leaves for garnish (optional)

Trim the ends of the zucchini and yellow summer squash. With a vegetable peeler, shave the zucchini lengthwise into long, wide strips about 1/16 inch thick. When you get to the center of the zucchini, where the seeds are, turn it over and slice from the other side until you get to the center again. Discard the center. Put the zucchini ribbons in a large bowl. Slice the yellow squash using the same technique and add them to the zucchini. Peel off and discard the rough exterior peel of the daikon and then shave the daikon as you did the squash. Add the strips to the bowl with the squash, along with the basil and oregano.

In a small bowl, whisk the olive oil, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Toss the vegetables with enough of the vinaigrette to lightly coat them (you may not need all of the vinaigrette) and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve immediately, garnished with the small basil leaves (if using).

serving suggestions:
    This light salad is delicious with grilled chicken, onion, and red bell pepper kebabs.

From Fine Cooking 93, pp. 51

Cabbage Slaw
    Serves 4-6

3 Tbsp Mango Chili Vinegar
    1 Tbsp Fresh Lime Juice
    1 tsp Ground Toasted Cumin Seed
    3/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    2-3 cups Fine Shredded Green Cabbage
    2 cups Loose Baby Arugula
    3 Radishes, Thinly Sliced
    1/2 Bunch Cilantro (Leaves and Tender Stems), Coarsely Chopped
    1/4 cup Shredded Daikon (Optional)
    Salt and Pepper to Taste

Combine the vinegar, lime juice, cumin, salt, and pepper. Whisk in the olive oil. Toss with the rest of the ingredients. Cover and place in fridge 2-12 hours.

Vietnamese Sticky Chicken with Daikon and Carrot Pickle
    Serves 2

The chicken and pickled vegetables are meant to be wrapped up in lettuce leaves and eaten with your hands.

For chicken
    1 garlic cloves, minced
    1 tablespoons sugar
    2 tsp Asian fish sauce
    1 tsp vegetable oil
    1 tsp fresh lime juice
    2 tsp Sriracha or other Asian hot chili sauce
    8 oz. turkey breast, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices

For pickle
    1 medium carrot, julienned
    4 oz daikon radish (or jicama), julienned
    1/4 cup rice vinegar (not seasoned)
    1 Tbsp sugar
    tsp salt

Accompaniments:
    at least 8 large red- or green-leaf lettuce leaves (butter lettuce is good) about 8 fresh mint, basil, and/or cilantro sprigs
    Sriracha or other Asian hot chili sauce

Marinate chicken:
    Whisk together garlic, sugar, fish sauce, oil, lime juice, and hot sauce in a large bowl until sugar is dissolved. Add chicken and toss to coat, then marinate 15 minutes.
    Make pickle while chicken marinates:
    Cut carrots and radish into 1/8-inch-thick matchsticks (2 inches long) with slicer. Whisk together vinegar, sugar, and salt in a bowl until sugar is dissolved, then add vegetables and toss to combine. Let stand, tossing occasionally, until wilted, about 15 minutes.

Grill chicken:
    Heat grill pan over moderately high heat until hot, then grill chicken in 4 batches, turning over once with tongs, until just cooked through, about 1 minute total per batch. Transfer chicken to a plate as grilled and keep warm, covered with foil. Serve chicken, pickle and accompaniments wrapped in the lettuce leaves.

From Gourmet, Quick Kitchen, March 2005
    EmptyNestMom
    Grandma Pam to 3

"The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude." – Julia Child