Community Message Boards

Thread: Embarrasing medical question....

Embarrasing medical question....

For the first time ever in my life I am having hemorrhoidal flare-ups. I've now had two in two weeks and boy do they hurt! I can't sit, walk or even lie down without discomfort. What causes this condition and more importantly, what helps? Preparation H is not doing the trick! Help!

Depending on how uncomfortable, some people opt for surgery.
    Lots of causes...constipation, not enough fiber (hard stool), genetics, pregnancy, etc...

HAve you tried a sitz bath?
    keep the area lubricated..maybe some coconut oil dabbed in the area.
    Also, use GENTLE toilet paper. Dr. oz recommends the moist wipes. Says that's all his family uses.

Good luck.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

I had this problem for the first time in my life over Christmas -- it was terrible! There is a cream called Balneol that you can buy thru your pharmacy w/o a prescription. It really helps with the discomfort. Since then I have been taking Metamucil capsules so that this does not happen to me again. Hope you are feeling better soon.
    Michelle

have you talked with your doc about surgery? it's simple, quick, and it's effective. a dear GF struggled with the condition for years until the out-patient procedure. maybe worth looking into?
    ~ Learn something new every day ~

I find Witch Hazel to be very soothing. There is also a product my dr. rec. called Senokot-S. "natural vegetable laxative ingredient plus stool softener." Works great!!!!!!

Drink more water and add fiber to your diet. Straining is a big culprit.