Community Message Boards

Thread: What can I make with overcooked pasta?

What can I make with overcooked pasta?

I made angel hair pasta last night and thought I had turned off the burner while I made the shrimp to go on top. Well, I didn't and it was way overcooked, but I don't want to waste almost an entire box by throwing it away.

I was thinking of doing a cheesy casserole, maybe with grilled turkey sausage on the side, but I need some inspiration.

The problem with a casserole is that you'll have to cook it again in the oven and if it already overcooked to start with that might not be the way to go. If you really want to use this, I might suggest making some kind of cheese sauce on the stovetop and then adding the pasta in so it cooks for the shortest time possible. Maybe try Alton Brown's stovetop macaroni and cheese or an alfredo-type sauce or something similar.

Maybe you can use it to make a Spaghetti Pie, or even on a Frittata!
    I made a Spaghetti Pie once where you mixed cooked pasta with egg and parmesan cheese to form a crust, lay it on the bottom of a pie plate, spreaded ricotta cheese on top and then top it all with a "bolognese sauce" (pasta sauce + ground beef/I use turkey). Then you top it all with mozzarella cheese and bake it.
    I made a big batch with friends and we each took two pies home to be frozen for future dinner (it freezes great!). It was easy to make and DH and DS loved it.
    You can google "spaghetti pie" and there are numerous recipes (can't seem to find my recipe right now...).
    Here, I found a very similar recipe, the only difference is that the one I made I browned ground turkey with onions, garlic, salt pepper (and any desired spices) and then added the tomato/pasta sauce to it.
    Here is the recipe I found, maybe you can use it as an idea!
    Ana

I found the recipe HERE!! (hence the mention of specific brand name products...)

Spaghetti Pie

6 oz. spaghetti, cooked
    2 Tbsp. olive oil
    2 eggs, well beaten
    3/4 cup (3 oz.) Sargento® Artisan Blends™ Shredded Parmesan Cheese, divided
    1 cup Sargento® Whole Milk Ricotta Cheese
    1 cup pasta sauce
    1/2 cup (2 oz.) Sargento® ChefStyle Shredded Mozzarella Cheese

Toss spaghetti with olive oil in large bowl. Stir in eggs and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese. Pour spaghetti mixture into greased 10-inch pie plate; form into a crust.
    Spoon Ricotta cheese over spaghetti crust. Top with pasta sauce. Bake in preheated 350°F oven 25 minutes. Top with Mozzarella cheese. Bake 5 minutes more or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese. Cool 10 minutes before cutting.

Or maybe a spaghetti pie? I've never made one, but using the overcooked pasta as a crust might work...
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

Muffins! With Cheese! Who knew!!

Leftover (Or Not) Pasta Muffins
    OAMC Recipe #239619
    A tasty way to use up left over prepared pasta.
    by Anme

15 min | 5 min prep

SERVES 6 , 12 muffins

* 4 1/2 cups cooked pasta, cut into about 2 inch strands (tossed in your favorite sauce)
    * 4 eggs (or egg beaters)
    * 1/2 cup shredded cheese
    * 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
    * italian seasoning (optional)
    * garlic powder (optional)
    * 1/4-1/2 cup finely diced cooked meat (optional)

1. Grease 12 muffin tins and preheat over to 425°F.
    2. Mix eggs cheese and optional ingredients in a large bowl, Then stir in pasta.
    3. Scoop pasta into muffin tins and bake for about 8-10 minutes OR until set.
    4. Let cool for a few minutes then remove from tins and enjoy or once cooled put in plastic bags and freeze. When ready to eat take out of bag and heat in microwave until heated.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Pasta Muffins? Actually, they sound pretty good.

I think I came up with a plan. I have a bunch of bell peppers to use so I'm going make my traditional ground meat stuffing but instead of cooked rice I'll use some of the pasta.

Maybe the rest can go towards some Pasta Muffins..that sounds so funny.

I did the same thing with spaghetti noodles one time and I ended up making a frittata. It was really good.

Here is one a little different. Its a spaghetti pie, except the spaghetti tops the pie.

Spaghetti Pie
    1 5 oz. can 2/3 cups evaporated milk
    1/2 cup fine dry bread crumbs
    1/3 cup chopped onion
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning, crushed
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1 lb lean ground beef
    4 oz. dried spaghetti
    2 tablespoons butter
    1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1 egg, beaten
    1 8 oz. can pizza sauce
    1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
    In a large bowl combine evaporated milk, bread crumbs, onion, salt, Italian seasoning, and pepper. Add beef and mix well. Turn into a 9 inch pie plate, spreading evenly onto bottom and up side. Bake in a 350 oven about 30 minutes, or until done and and instant-read thermometer inserted into center of meat registers 160. Carefully tilt dish, and drain off fat.
    Mean while cook spaghetti according to package directions. Drain and return to pan. Add butter and stir until melted. Stir in Parmesan cheese and egg until spaghetti is coated.Spoon half if the pizza sauce over the meat mixture.Top with half of the mozzarella cheese and the spaghetti mixture. Spoon remaining pizza sauce on spaghetti layer; top wit remaining cheese Bake, uncovered, about 20 minutes more or until pie is heated trough. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving. Makes 6 main dish servings.
    Next to jazz music, there is nothing that lifts the spirit and strengthens the soul more than a good bowl of chili...Harry James

Quote Originally Posted by SugarNSpice View Post
    I made angel hair pasta last night and thought I had turned off the burner while I made the shrimp to go on top. Well, I didn't and it was way overcooked, but I don't want to waste almost an entire box by throwing it away.
    This was the first thing that crossed my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumbeaux View Post
    This was the first thing that crossed my mind.
    Oh yeah, my noodles would have been perfect for homemade glue.

I just finished my stuffing for the peppers and the noodles worked quite well in place of the rice. As for the other 1/2 lb left, that will be added to the dog's dinner. He will definitely love it!

This is from the 'egg site' - get cooking or something like that. It is actually very good! Can also be fiddled with.

Speedy Sp-egg-hetti Pie

Prep Time: 5
    Cook Time: 8
    Servings: 4

6 eggs
    1/2 cup Parmesan and Romano shredded cheese blend or grated Parmesan cheese
    1 medium tomato, chopped
    1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
    Salt and pepper, to taste
    4 cups cooked spaghetti
    Cooking spray
    Tomato pasta sauce, to taste

Directions

Whisk eggs lightly; stir in cheese, tomato, parsley, salt and pepper. Add to spaghetti and mix well.

Spray 10-inch (25 cm) nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Heat over medium heat. Spread spaghetti mixture over bottom of pan and cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until bottom forms a golden crust.

Place plate over pie, turn upside-down and slide pie back into skillet. Cook until bottom is golden and crusty.

Cut into wedges and serve with tomato pasta sauce, as desired.

Suggestions & Tips

For a complete meal, serve with a Caesar salad, a crusty roll and plums.

Six oz (170 g) uncooked spaghetti will give you 4 cups (1 L) cooked. To freeze for later use, toss each pound (500 g) of cooked pasta with 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil; freeze each portion in a container or resealable bag for up to 2 months. To use, place frozen pasta in a sieve and rinse under hot water until pasta is soft.