Community Message Boards

Thread: Using dried beans in Crockpot Chili Recipe?

Using dried beans in Crockpot Chili Recipe?

I was wondering if I could use dried beans (without soaking) in a crockpot chili recipe that would cook for 8 hours on low. Or should I soak overight first (I'd rather skip this step if possible). I never had luck with using dried beans -- they always turned out hard even after soaking overnight, so I finally gave up and now only use canned, but canned get too mushy in a crockpot recipe. A lot of the folks on this site seem to have better luck cooking with dried beans, so I'm wondering if it's the brand I used. Any suggestions?

IMHO, you will definitely have to soak the beans and even then you're looking at a minimum of 8 hours. You'd have more success if you soak the beans overnight, cook the beans on high for 2-3 hours and then add them to a chili that you'd cook 6-8 hours. For that amount of effort I'd just cook them separate and then add to the chili for a couple of hours.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Thanks Sneezles -- I'll give that a try.

A crockpot chicken chili recipe I have (with white beans) has you bring the beans to a boil, then simmer 20 minutes, drain and add to the rest of the ingredients, then cook for 5-6 hours on high or 8-10 on low.

Michelle

Quote Originally Posted by YorkieMom View Post
    ....A lot of the folks on this site seem to have better luck cooking with dried beans, so I'm wondering if it's the brand I used. Any suggestions?
    Assuming your technique is a reliable one, you might also check the source of the beans: the older they are the harder they will be to cook. Your best bet is buy from a source that you think has a heavy turnover of product, as some beans in the store are up to 10 years old. When I don't buy from Rancho Gordo I just buy from the bulk bins at Whole Foods. Haven't had a problem with them.
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt