Community Message Boards

Thread: Can you freeze a wheel of brie cheese?

Can you freeze a wheel of brie cheese?

Also - can you freeze a brie wheel covered in pastry? The brie's on sale now but I'm not having my party for another 3 weeks or so. Can I freeze it without jeopardizing the taste? Thanks for your help!

Any frozen cheese changes consistency.
    If you plan to use it in a cooked dish, it melts enough that the crumbliness is not objectionable.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

Have you checked the date of the wheel? Maybe it's long enough that you wouldn't have to worry about freezing it. That said I've seen pastry wrapped brie in the frozen food section.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

It should be okay, the texture thing applies to hard cheeses, soft ones will be fine. CostCo and other places sell camembert in breadcrumbs (for frying) in the frozen sections.

I'm inclined to agree with Sneezles too. Brie would mature in the fridge and get tastier, though there does get a point where the flavour is a bit strong for some people (when it gets runny!). Cut the rind off and it will last longer if you wrap it in clingfilm.
    Has anyone seen reality? I'm sure it was there a minute ago

Yikes - definitely don't freeze brie! Quality cheese isn't meant to be frozen & thawed. The character, flavor & texture will change quite a bit.

3 weeks isn't too long to keep the cheese. It's probably been aging already for at least 3 months. Also - I personally would recommend keeping the rind on. If you want it off when you serve it, cut it then. This is b/c if any mold occurs, it will be on the outside, so the rind will protect it. And, as with any cheese, if there's mold. just trim it off. The remainder of the cheese isn't impacted.

How's that for a bunch of different opinions? :-) Have we helped??

What is the rind on brie made from?

Personally I don't bother to trim mould off. I eat a lot of blue goat cheese which has all sorts of different moulds inside and out, it's the moulds that give it such an unctuous flavour.
    Has anyone seen reality? I'm sure it was there a minute ago