Community Message Boards

Thread: How do you get the grey marks of your dishes that come from the dishwasher?

How do you get the grey marks of your dishes that come from the dishwasher?

Any good tips or techniques for getting those grey 'scuff' marks off the dishes that the dishwasher leaves sometimes? I would think there has to be some magical way to make them disappear. This BB seems to always have a solution for alls kinds of problems so thanks for any help in advance!

Try a powdered cleanser like Barkeeper's Friend or Zud (one that is used for cleaning metals). I use it on those grey marks from pans in my white sink, and I think I have used it and/or Bon Ami on dishes in the past. Just a little on a wet sponge and don't scrub hard -- easy does it. Hope that works for you.

From what Beth has mentioned, (I personally choose Bon Ami)! I have used it to get the grey off of everything I cook in-BUT it's on my BF's ancient flat-top stove, and he doesn't have a dishwasher (lol it's mee!). Be sure and be gentle with that scrubbing stuff, it's powerful, but amazing!
    This may sound weird but I have noticed with older dishes in the dishwasher, that dishes DO wear out. It may be the quality of the dishes (i Know it is w/ mine), but shiny "coffee mugs" start to look dull, scratched. The plates/bowls are a pain to clean, don't look clean when they are, and EVERYTHING sticks to them. Since it's summer I have been using alot of paper plates! When in doubt-thow it out!! Zinnia

I don't seem to have had that problem, with all the many dishwashers I have had. I had Kitchenaid, and now Maytag.
    Call the dishwasher manufacturer and find out what to do!
    Curleytop

That is usually a hard water problem, and not the dishwasher. A water softener really helps. If that is not an option, check the manufacturer to find out what detergent they recommend.

Me again! I too have super hard water. I use CRYSTAL CLOUT
    DISHWASH DETERGENT from Costco. When I got this last dishwasher a year and a half ago, the Maytag man told me to use only 3 tsp. of detergent (for a full load) and use the spotting
    stuff. Make sure that your water is hot enough. Let it run on the hot faucet in the sink for a few minutes. Once a year or so you need to clean the inside with citric acid which you get from the appliance dealer. It cleans out the tub and all the rubber hoses.
    My suggestion is, as I said before to contact the manufacturer!
    Curleytop

Lightbulb What causes the gray marks

My understanding is that the marks are not caused by the dishwasher. They are actually caused by metal hitting certain types of material used to make dishes. For example, my parents had Corelle, which never caused marks, whereas my white Pfaltzgrapf (stoneware) does. In fact, my dishes came with an explanation about the gray marks. Pfaltzgrapf sells a special product to remove the marks, but I think Bar Keeper's Friend works just fine. I wouldn't recommend the Zud for this particular application. Zud is oxalic acid, which is somewhat corrosive and is best for cleaning rust off of metal. Bar Keeper's Friend is made of calcium carbonate, otherwise known as powdered chalk or Tums. You might want to check the Pfaltzgrapf (sp?) website for info. about what causes the black marks.

I have white Pfaltzgraff dishes also, and have had trouble with the marks on my plates, bowls, and such. I bought a bottle of cleaner from the store where they sold my dishes, and you just rub the cleaner on it, let it sit and then wipe clean with a paper towel. It works great!

I have not tried Bar Keepers Friend on my dishes, but my mother has a flat-topped electric stove that she has had for about 20 years. It has a corning-type top on it and she has always used Bar Keepers friend to clean it. It works great!

I also assumed the grey marks being talked about were the kind left by metal transferring onto china or similar materials. The corners of my cookie sheets sometimes mark the sink, and I use the Bar Keeper's Friend on that. Bon Ami would probably work just as well, but Bar Keeper's Friend also takes off rust (I have even rubbed a little into t-shirts) so I keep it around for several jobs.

I too have Pfaltzgraff dishes and they look crummy with those marks! I will definitely give some of the products mentioned a try & I'll also look at Pfaltzgraff website. I just couldn't understand why these marks keep appearing as I have soft water and a top of the line Whirlpool dishwasher too. I really appreciate all the input and help for all of you.

The manual for my KitchenAid dishwasher cautioned about putting metal items, especially aluminum, where they could bump other dishes.

I too have had a problem with grey marks, especially on dishes with a matte finish rather than a shiny glaze. Now I have shiny dishes that don't get grey marks, but I have a sink with a matte porcelain finish that is always getting marked up (the finish might have been shiny 30 years ago, but it sure isn't now)!

I have found that a paste of baking soda and water, rubbed into the marks gently with a damp cloth, will remove all but the worst of the marks (on both dishes and sinks). I also use baking soda and water to gently remove scuff marks from painted walls... it really works!

I turn to Bar Keeper's Friend for heavy duty cleaning. I don't use it that often because I found it was causing my porcelain sink to fade in color. Easy does it!

OK--I used to work at Kitchen Etc. where they sell TONS of Pfaltzgraff. The marks, as I understand it are from your silverware. You can buy the cleaner that Pfaltzgraff puts out, but Soft Scrub bathroom cleaner it the exact same thing. You might even already have some. Enjoy. Also, another tip from the many china/dish manufacturers....never use lemon dishwasher soap. I don't know why but they all say not to. Also never keep your china in the attic...temp change will cause hairline cracks....Next week....cookware, but for now....Ciao!

Copper Glow

I've found that copper glow works great to get those marks off your dishes and the white sink. Oh, plus it makes your pots, copper or not, shine.

Thanks for the suggestions - I always thought that the gray marks on my sink were permanent. I got them off last night with Bon Ami!