Community Message Boards

Thread: How long does evaporated milk last?

How long does evaporated milk last?

I have some in the fridge in a tupperware that's been there for a few weeks (exact timeframe I'm a little sketchy on.) How long is it good for? Will it smell if it has gone bad? I want to use it to make the Creamiest Chocolate Pudding (CL 2007.)

Thanks!

Few weeks is a long time.

I have always used the sniff/curdle test with milk as it seems to go bad in this way rather than harboring pathogens which are undetectable.
    Some days I pray for Silence, Some days I pray for Soul,
    Some days I just pray to the God of Sex and Drums and Rock 'N' Roll.

Meatloaf

Thank you. That makes sense. I swear I am dense sometimes. It's a milk product - duh!

I don't expect opened canned milk to last as long or any longer than a carton of fresh milk. If I haven't used the remainder of the can within 2-3 days, I won't use it at all.
    The cardiologist's diet: - If it tastes good spit it out!

My milk lasts much more than 2 days after being opened -- even regular milk (non canned).

The only issue with canned evaporated milk is the same with other canned foods which I don't store in their cans for long periods of time (but the OP said the milk was in Tupperware).

I used evaporated skim milk for coffee and haven't had issues with milk that is much older than 3 days.

Meatloaf

I probably didn't make myself clear. I use milk, while still fresh, longer than 2 days, but I still don't keep canned milk longer than a day or two.

I try not to need to buy it in the first place. I don't like the funky smell of condensed milk and I can tell when it is used in pumpkin pies just as people can tell when a cake is made with a mix, rather than from scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by ADM View Post
    I probably didn't make myself clear. I use milk, while still fresh, longer than 2 days, but I still don't keep canned milk longer than a day or two.

I try not to need to buy it in the first place. I don't like the funky smell of condensed milk and I can tell when it is used in pumpkin pies just as people can tell when a cake is made with a mix, rather than from scratch.
    Are you confusing condensed milk with evaporated milk?

My evaporated milk lasts quite a long period of time without degradation. I use it in coffee because it has no fat, is thicker than regular skim milk plus it provides twice the calcium per "portion" as regular skim milk.

I salute your taste buds if you can discern evaporated milk in a recipe with significant other flavors -- and in which the recipe is baked. I don't detect any "funky" undertones in evaporated milk in my coffee -- it's doesn't taste quite like fresh milk but it's hard to imagine the flavor impacting a complex recipe -- but then I no doubt have multiple peas under my mattress as well.

Meatloaf

It's just me! Evaporated milk is not a comfort food that I get warm and fuzzy thinking about.