Community Message Boards

Thread: HELP! DH doesn't know difference between a clove and a head of garlic

HELP! DH doesn't know difference between a clove and a head of garlic

HELP! DH doesn't know difference between a clove and a head of garlic

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He doesn't cook much but was elected to make chili for his team. I found him a basic recipe that was scaled for a large batch.

He used 2 heads of garlic instead of 2 cloves (well, I would probably have used at least 6). But 2 heads is way, way too much.

Does anyone have any suggestions? The best I can come up with is basically to make a second batch sans garlic and mix the two together.

Here's the recipie:

Big-Batch Chili
    Southern Living

This recipe goes with Chili-Corn Chip Stack-Up Salad

4 pounds ground chuck
    2 medium onions, chopped
    1 green pepper, chopped
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    3 (14 1/2-ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
    4 (8-ounce) cans tomato sauce
    1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
    1/4 cup chili powder
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon pepper
    1/2 teaspoon paprika
    1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
    1 bay leaf
    2 (16-ounce) cans light red kidney beans, rinsed and drained (optional)
    Toppings: sour cream, shredded Cheddar cheese, chopped green onions, sliced ripe black olives

Cook ground chuck, in batches, in a large skillet over medium-high heat about 5 minutes, stirring until meat crumbles and is no longer pink; drain. Place meat in a 6-quart slow cooker; stir in onions, next 12 ingredients, and, if desired, beans. Cook, covered, at HIGH 5 to 6 hours or at LOW 6 to 8 hours. Remove and discard bay leaf. Serve with desired toppings.

Cooktop preparation: Cook ground chuck, in batches, in a large Dutch oven. Drain beef and return to Dutch oven. Add onions, next 12 ingredients, and, if desired, beans. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat, cover, and simmer 4 to 6 hours. Remove and discard bay leaf.

To freeze: Let chili stand 30 minutes. Evenly divide chili mixture into 3 (1-gallon) zip-top plastic freezer bags; seal and lay each bag flat. Stack bags of chili in freezer. Freeze up to 1 month. Thaw frozen chili overnight in refrigerator or defrost in microwave. Pour thawed chili into a 9-inch square baking dish. Cover tightly with heavy-duty plastic wrap, and fold back a corner to allow steam to escape. Microwave at HIGH 6 to 7 minutes or until bubbly, stirring after 3 1/2 minutes.

Yield: Makes 15 to 18 cups

You tasted it and it's really way, way too much? Cause some of those cloves are pretty small and wouldn't count in my book.

I might try adding just more tomato products (one more diced and another paste). Coupla jalapeños might be good. Did he use kidney beans?
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Rename the recipe to - Forty Cloves of Garlic Chili.

No kidding! Forty Cloves of Garlic Chicken is a great recipe. With long slow cooking the garlic mellows and becomes mild tasting. It worked for James Beard and should work for your DH as well. Taste - taste -taste before making a double batch, although you could do that.
    The cardiologist's diet: - If it tastes good spit it out!

Ditto what Sneezles said - have you tasted it? Is it really that strong?

Only 2 cloves is a "why bother?" in a recipe to me, especially with 4 pounds of ground beef and all those other ingredients. I typically use an entire head or more in a chili recipe of that size.

Michelle

Yes, I tasted it and it was too garlicky. What we've done is to add 2 large cans tomato puree and more sauteed ground beef. I added some more basic chili powder and a little brown sugar to try and tone it down a bit.

I think it will be fine, but he is REALLY upset. I'm trying not to laugh.

Its just like dealing with a little kid -- he thinks he knows everything, asks for my advice, but doesn't listen to it, and then comes to me for a fix.

Yes, there will be beans added, but since this won't be served until Tuesday, I'm not adding the beans until Monday night so they don't turn into total mush.

Quote Originally Posted by sneezles View Post
    You tasted it and it's really way, way too much? Cause some of those cloves are pretty small and wouldn't count in my book.

I might try adding just more tomato products (one more diced and another paste). Coupla jalapeños might be good. Did he use kidney beans?
    Totally agree. Two heads sounds to me like just the right amount of garlic for the size of the recipe. Let it meld, heat and taste tomorrow. I'll bet it'll be perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by doggerham View Post

Yes, there will be beans added, but since this won't be served until Tuesday, I'm not adding the beans until Monday night so they don't turn into total mush.
    Was asking because I don't think kidney beans should be in chili...seems to Yankee...if I add beans I use pinto...much more Texan. I know it a Southern Living recipe but still.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

You can tell your DH that he is not the first person to make this mistake. My mother had never used fresh garlic. When I was a beginning cook, I was making a recipe for beef stroganoff, which called for one clove of garlic. When I said to my roommates that I didn't know what to do about the papery part, they all jumped as one off the couches to prevent the culinary disaster they could see coming --

Good luck with the chili. It sounds like it is going to be just fine.

Kay

Amy that is so funny! I agree with the others here--it's hard to have too much garlic in something as flavorful as chili. Typically the longer it cooks, the more the flavor will cook in.

My MIL never cooked with fresh garlic either and one day she asked me to make my spaghetti and meatballs. She happily went off to the grocery store for the items I had on the list and came home and told me "Boy, fresh garlic is really expensive".........she had bought a whole pound!