Community Message Boards

Thread: Recipes that look bad, taste good!

Recipes that look bad, taste good!

"while the finished dish isn't pretty on the plate, it's darned tasty!" ...This quote from Canice's post about Drunken Beans got me thinking about dishes that aren't pretty but taste good and I thought it might be worthy of a thread for recipes that look bad, taste good. Any such recipes (and your or other's comments?) worthy of our consideration?
    The best one I can remember is a dish I made for some people who came for a little quilting bee my wife was doing one day - it was supposed to be close family so I had planned some comfort food that we like but a few extra folk showed up. One of them was a retired school teacher, about 87 or so, who's comment about her lunch was "It looks like the dog's breakfast, but it sure tastes good". Here's what was in her bowl:

posted by Marlen @ Mimiís: "I invite you to try this Cuban version. It is a favorite at our house. If you have leftover roasted pork, just shred it and use that instead of the ground pork."

Tamal en Cazuela (Cuban Tamale in a Pot)

1 lb. ground pork meat
    4 garlic cloves, minced
    1 onion chopped
    1 green pepper chopped olive oil for frying
    1/3 cup tomato sauce
    1/4 cup red wine
    2 cups ground fresh corn (may substitute frozen niblets)
    one cup masa harina
    3 cups water
    Salt & pepper to taste
    Juice of one lemon

Fry the pork in a little olive oil. Add onion and green pepper and continue frying at low heat until the onions are soft. Add garlic, tomato sauce and wine. Slice the corn kernels off of the cob (or use frozen corn). Grind the corn in a food processor until you get a coarse mixture. Remove from the processor and blend in one cup masa harina to the ground corn. Add 3 cups water to the corn mixture and blend well. Add this mixture to the meat and tomato sauce mixture in the pot. Blend in juice of one lemon. Cook on the stove top, stirring occasionally. The finished product should be thick and not runny. Approximately one hour. Salt and pepper to taste.

Andy's notes: I add a Tbs ground chili, a tsp of ground coriander and a tsp ground cumin, as well as a little hot sauce or some ground chilies, to the meat along with the onions and peppers. Turn heat down as it thickens to lessen the likelihood of it burning. I serve it with some grated Jack cheese on each serving and some corn chips on the side.
    Cheers! Andy

Lentil soup made with brown lentils is something that doesn't look very appealing but that I absolutely love the taste!! Especially sprinkled with some Parmesan cheese.... yum!!
    Ana

Andy, that would be pretty tasty also with a warmed flour tortilla wrapped around it! I don't love frozen corn but may need to make that dish soon, as my tortillas will be kinda moldy by the time fresh corn is in market Love the comment - easier to get away with at 87 than 37, I dare say.

You know how in Japanese restaurants they have the plastic representations of the dishes on display? Those curries over rice do NOT appeal, however tasty.
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt