Community Message Boards

Poll: Do you use shelf paper and/or drawer liners?

Thread: Poll: Do you use shelf paper and/or drawer liners?

Question Poll: Do you use shelf paper and/or drawer liners?

I have been hesitant to post this poll, because I'm afraid it will reveal how un-savvy I am about things like this, but I have never in my life used shelf paper or drawer liners. Am I an ignorant freak? What is the purpose of them, anyway?

I don't really get it either. I use them in some of my bureaus - these are antiques that I inherited from my grandparents, so they are real wood, through and through. Although real wood is very nice, it can be a little hard on clothes, etc. So, I use liners to protect my stuff from the drawers (they can be rough-hewn) and to protect my antiques from my stuff!

But I don't use them in my kitchen cupboards. The cabinets have shelves that wipe down easily and are not harmed by crumbs or wiping, so I see no reason to use them there.

I do simply because having lived in so many different types of housing all of it either government issue (lol) or rental, I kind of get skeeved about putting my dishes, etc. in cupboards that someone else has had their stuff in. Call me anal, call me strange, but until I live in my own house, I'll be putting in my shelf liner everywhere we live.

When we moved here, we didn't have our own household goods for about two months. It gave me the time to measure and cut exactly which really can be a very time consuming job. I probably spend about $40+ on shelf liner every time we move.

I even wash down my refrigerator before putting any food in. If anyone out there has ever lived in military housing, they are really anal about inspections when you leave and cleaning the appliances, but I still do it myself again.

Oh, I live for the day when I have my own house.
    "You know I was talking to my friend Desdemona the other day she
    runs this space station and bake shop down near Boomtown. She told
    me that human beings are flawed individuals. The cosmic bakers
    took us out of the oven a little too early. And that's the
    reason we're as crazy as we are and I believe it." Jimmy Buffet, Fruitcakes, 1994

Another shelf liner here. Our house had 3 layers of other peoples' old contact paper in the kitchen cabinets when we bought it. I was going to take them up and just use the plain wood, but after numerous days of scrubbing with every goo and stickum remover known to man (plus two broken putty knives), it was apparent that it wasn't all going to come up. So, I decided to cover the shelves again to get rid of the ugliness.

I wouldn't have bothered if the cabinets had been in good condition - WAY too much work!

I'm with Bosun's Wife on this one. If I've moved into a place that someone else had before me, down goes the shelf paper. It's a cleanliness issue.

Rubbermaid used to make rubber shelf paper, by the way, and I want to see if they still do, because it would be perfect in my classware cabinet.

Speaking of former residents, the house seller appears to have kept a particularly stinky potpourri in the cabinet I'd been using for my glassware. Imagine, if you will, drinking wine from a glass that smells like 'Angel's Glop'.

Any suggestions for getting the smell out, short of tearing out the cabinets and starting again?
    Nothing in the history of mankind can foul things up quicker than a computer
    ......with the possible exception of tequila and handguns.
    --Anonymous

In the past I have used drawer liners that stick to the cabinets but they always seem to slip or tear. And if you have ever tried to remove sticky liners you know how hard that can be.

So, in the last 2 homes I have lived in I have not used anything and I am much happier!

I use the rubbery stuff in some drawers to keep stuff from sliding around.

In my first house (it was 20+ yrs old) I used shelf paper for sanitary purposes.

Then we moved to AZ, and we had to rent a house, (boy was it gross!) I scrubbed and scrubbed the cabinets inside and out and still lined them with paper.

Then we moved into our present home (brand new) so I choose not to line the cabinets.

Ann

Cool

I did when I had an apartment before we married. Lined EVERYTHING in brown and white gingham and it looked pretty nifty.

In our present house, the only shelves I've lined are the linen closet, simply because the former owners had lined them previously in a horrible, dowdy paper which looked like some reject from the fifties. Naturally, that had to be covered up!

My kitchen and other built-in cabinets are the results of our remodeling efforts, and they've got wipeable surfaces which don't require shelf paper.

I used to use shelf paper always, but when we bought our house I lined the shelves and drawers with peel off floor tile for easy cleaning & wiping. I just LOVE it! It was a little more costly, but it's a dream to clean up. I love the stark-white-clean feel.
    All I need to know in life I learned in Kindergarden!

I seem to swap these two off...I either buy that spongy stuff made by rubbermaid, or if I have the time, I go to a flooring store, buy a linoleum remnant..cut it to size..this works GREAT! A trip from my older sister that is durable, easy to clean and easy to change when you get sick of it.
    Karen

I line the shelves with paper liner. Someone once told me that shelf liner with sticky backing attracts roaches. (it could be an old wives tale but it was enough to keep me from using it.)

The paper keeps the shelves from getting dirty, plus as someone mentioned before, it covers the shelf where someone elses stuff was sitting.

I use liner -- probably because my mom always has and that's just what I learned to do. I have been tempted to skip that step, but I do like the fact that I get a clean surface to put my own things on, but even when I have cleaned and painted, or the one time I moved into a brand new house, I use liner so that it stays fresher. Maybe it's the humidity here, but occassionally, you can get a can edge leaving a rust mark on the shelf -- or a sticky or oily drip on a bottle that might leave a mark on the paint before it it noticed.

I have always used Rubbermaid -- not contact paper, and I like the fact that the surface is softer on china and crystal too -- maybe it's having three guys in the house.

Red face

I fell for one of the ancient polls! Even after reading the thread about them. Shame on me!