Community Message Boards

Thread: Cannellini vs. Navy Beans

Cannellini vs. Navy Beans

So ... I'm trying to learn to like beans. I'm not a picky eater by any means, but I'll pull out the picky eater rationale and say "it's a texture thing." I like black beans in small doses, and enjoy roasted garbanzos, and hummus. So, what I've concluded is that if the bean is to be eaten whole and unroasted, the smaller the better.

I've seen some recipes lately that look promising that include cannellini beans so I bought a can last night (dried were not available at Kroger nor at Whole Foods). Another name for cannellini is "white kidney bean" but they are very small compared to kidneys and I don't like kidneys. Cannellinis also look very similar to navy beans to me.

So ... what's the difference between cannellinis and navys? Taste, texture, skin thickness, cooking, ???
    The Blog is open again!
    http://singlegrrlkitchen.blogspot.com/

"If God had meant for corn bread to have sugar in it, he'd have called it cake." -- Mark Twain

Cannellinis are larger than navy beans. Are thin skinned with a creamy texture.

Navy beans are similar in size to small red beans. They are the beans used in Boston Baked.

Great Northern beans are just a bit smaller than Cannellinis and look like baby limas. Their texture is slightly grainy with a nutty taste.

If you like black beans then I would suggest navy beans of all the white beans.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Thanks for the clarification sneezles! I should have posted that question a long time ago. Standing in front of the wall of bean cans scratching my head
    We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
    -M. Acklam

I have started eating more beans lately too. I use Nigella's recipe which is really easy: warm some olive oil over low heat, add two or three smashed cloves of garlic along with lots of lemon zest, then when it is fragrant, add in a can of well rinsed white beans. They break down easily (esp. the Great Northern kind) if you want to mash them but I eat them whole. Don't forget to take out the garlic. I wasn't crazy about this as a side dish at first but now I actually crave it! I like them best with a balsamic glaze such as Vincotto drizzled on top. Hope you like them.
    Michelle

good info. Since I've purchased the cannellinis already, I'll go ahead and try them, but I'll try navys too.
    The Blog is open again!

"If God had meant for corn bread to have sugar in it, he'd have called it cake." -- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by funniegrrl View Post
    good info. Since I've purchased the cannellinis already, I'll go ahead and try them, but I'll try navys too.
    You might try Giada's White Bean Dip (posted somewhere here for sure) with those cannellinis at some point. It's really good and takes away some of the texture issues you might have.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn1007 View Post
    You might try Giada's White Bean Dip (posted somewhere here for sure) with those cannellinis at some point. It's really good and takes away some of the texture issues you might have.
    Yes, I've thought that if nothing else I can make white bean dip, which I know I like!
    The Blog is open again!