Community Message Boards

Thread: Help! How much would you charge for this?

Help! How much would you charge for this?

I am making pound cake for 12: first question: I only have 9 inch/10 cups bundt pans, will one cake suffice? Second question: how much would you charge per bundt cake? I will probably knock a bit off of whatever we decide because this is for a friend in harried circumstances (who planned a long time ago to host a big family meal and has now decided she wants to purchase dessert). But I would like to know a regular price as well just in case I get any other business off of this.
    -Laura

Muffins are for people who don't have the 'nads to order cake for breakfast.
    --Seth, "Kitchen Confidential" (the show, not the book)

www.thespicedlife.com/

The price would depend on the recipe but I figure somewhere around $15/cake. As for the cake being enough to serve, that size would just about be enough if someone has control of the slicing.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

I always have people asking if they can purchase baked goods from me. Most often, I'm always just happy to help a friend out and bake up whatever they need.

However, every once in a while someone insists on paying me something for my trouble, so then I give them a ballpark on what the ingredients cost me, tell them that ingredients cost XYZ and they can go from there. I've had some people then pay me around XYZ, and some people who are extra appreciative give me a big bonus for my time. It all works out well, since I love to bake and don't mind doing it anyway.
    Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
    Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

I'm food bloggin' almost daily at Tummy Treasure!

One bundt gives you what I would also count on as 12 servings, cutting the cake into quarters and then making 2 cuts on each quarter. No extra -- I think I'd let the hostess make that call based on the group and the rest of the dinner.

A typical grocery store cake bundt possibly comparable to something you'd make with a cake mix is probably about $10. A less basic cake seems to run $15-25. A quality cake made with quality ingredients at a not so typical store here generally runs $20 for a small size (6-8" depending on the type) and $25-30 for larger (8-10"). A cake for 12 would be a larger one, so depending on the type of pound cake (I'm betting yours will be one with vanilla beans or other good things), it would seem that you could look at a range of $10-30. You could also have her pay for the ingredients and consider the baking a faavor which she can repay if and when the time is right.

Laura - you might check out http://www.nothingbundtcakes.com/index.php to see if they have pricing. (Plus you might get some decorating ideas)
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

Thanks for all the advice. I settled on $18 for plain and $22 for anything drizzled, glazed, complicated, expensive ingredients (for exs; I use pricey chocolate so I would want to charge more for a chocolate bundt cake) and am charging my friend $14 (she wants plain).

However in the meantime I am panicking a bit bc I have not heard from her and am worried something has happened to her son (he has stopped producing red blood cells, they have been in/out of the hospital, no one knows what's wrong, bone marrow biopsies, transfusions, etc--this is why she wanted to pay me to bake, she is very pregnant and is hosting a big Easter dinner; I was only willing to let her pay me for a few reasons: I have baked tons of other things for free for her during this time of crisis, the timing of her request was bad for me (Easter and the day before I leave for vacation) and she pretty much insisted and it was such a good opportunity in terms of word of mouth and maybe having strangers pay me for baking). But anyway I am really fretting now. She is a fellow mom in my playgroup but not anyone I know well enough to hunt down and find out if her son is ok.... I am hosting playgroup tomorrow, hopefully will see her then or someone who is better friends with her and who can tell me if he is ok.
    -Laura

www.thespicedlife.com/

Oh gosh. What a situation for both of you. I hope her son is doing better, but I would be concerned.

Beth- Laura told me her friend actually ended up giving birth to her new baby, so it was a "good" MIA instead of a "bad" MIA
    - Josie

Actually it gets... oh I don't know if worse is the word, but her mom had a stroke the night before the delivery but seems to be ok (think that's what prompted labor?), the baby, 6 weeks early and in NICU an hour away, has pneumonia (not as bad as it sounds--common issue with developing preemie lungs I think) and her son was admitted into A DIFFERENT hospital! However I did hear he (the son, the toddler) has a normal virus, but of course they panicked given everything else going on with him. We all feel really badly for her, but since she is an hour away--no NICU here--we all feel kind of helpless.

I doubt she is hosting the dinner still--I sure hope not!
    -Laura

www.thespicedlife.com/

Wow, that's an awful lot to deal with. I'm sending positive and healing thoughts out to them.
    my personal chef service: Anastasia's Table Personal Chef Service

Quote Originally Posted by ljt2r View Post
    I doubt she is hosting the dinner still--I sure hope not!
    I hope not too. I think even my family might let me off the hook under those conditions. her weekend makes mine sound tame, and I thought it was pretty crazy.

I'm glad she and her son are doing okay -- hope her mom is too. Hope the baby and grandmother are doing well too. I think I'd bake her a cake and take some dinner to go with it when everyone gets home again -- or at least everyone other than the baby. That could be a month or more, and their routine will be nuts until the baby has been home for a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Beth View Post
    I hope not too. I think even my family might let me off the hook under those conditions. her weekend makes mine sound tame, and I thought it was pretty crazy.

I'm glad she and her son are doing okay -- hope her mom is too. Hope the baby and grandmother are doing well too. I think I'd bake her a cake and take some dinner to go with it when everyone gets home again -- or at least everyone other than the baby. That could be a month or more, and their routine will be nuts until the baby has been home for a bit.
    We had this conversation in my playgroup--we all wanted to do something but since she was an hour away did not know what. Finally we settled on a box of chocolates for her, her husband, and the son, who really needs calories right now. And we sent a personalized baby set of some kind (I did not pick it). Get this, and it made me tear up I will warn you, apparently she left a tearful message on another mom's machine about how it was the first time she had seen her baby (the preemie)'s name on something other than a hospital record/medical chart (it was on the blanket I think). So it was good we sent that rather than food I think. Their whole family was finally allowed to see each other except the son and the newborn cannot see each other--but until then they were totally separate (mom could not see son, dad could not see newborn) for fear of bringing son's virus to the newborn. Yikes.
    -Laura

www.thespicedlife.com/

Sounds like you nailed it.

Hope everyone keeps doing well adn they can all be together soon.