Community Message Boards

Thread: Would you use this unopened coconut package?

Would you use this unopened coconut package?

I have two large unopened bags of Baker's sweetened coconut in the refrigerator. I think they are probably two years old-there is no expiration date but the package says to use an opended refrigerated bag for up to 18 months. I am planning on a coconut cake for this weekend and am wondering about using this coconut. I am torn-I just hate to waste good food but I am also wondering if I should just buy a new bag and toss the old ones. I HATE it when I buy something on sale and then neglect to use it on time!

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
    Adopt a shelter cat!
    www.arascolorado.org

I'm a total fence-sitter:
    HATE old cruddy food that's past its prime. But also think 99.9% of "expiration" dates are bogus. Coconut seems pretty uncomplicated to me, so I'd do the good old fashioned sniff test. Open the bag and examine the product. Look OK? Give a sniff. Smell OK? Sample a little pinch. Taste OK? Think that tells you all you need to know. Bet it's just fine. Esp since it's been kicking back in the "chill chest" as AB would say.
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

I have dried coconut on the shelf for years. Coconut butter/oil says it has a shelf life of at least 2 years, unrefrigerated so I would think it would be fine. It is one of those fats that takes forever to go rancid.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

Yes the biggest danger with coconut is that it has a high fat content, and fat can go rancid. If you've kept it in the fridge, though, that helps tremendously. Just give it a taste -- if it's bad you'll know it. If it looks fine and tastes fine, it should be fine to use.
    The Blog is open again!
    http://singlegrrlkitchen.blogspot.com/

"If God had meant for corn bread to have sugar in it, he'd have called it cake." -- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Canice View Post
    I'm a total fence-sitter:
    HATE old cruddy food that's past its prime. But also think 99.9% of "expiration" dates are bogus. Coconut seems pretty uncomplicated to me, so I'd do the good old fashioned sniff test. Open the bag and examine the product. Look OK? Give a sniff. Smell OK? Sample a little pinch. Taste OK? Think that tells you all you need to know. Bet it's just fine. Esp since it's been kicking back in the "chill chest" as AB would say.
    What she said. But another thing I would take into consideration is how dry the coconut is. I like my coconut to be moist but that's me. I really have no idea if it would affect how moist your cake is though. I don't think I would want dried out coconut on the outside of the cake either. Just some ramblings for you to consider.

Well, I didn't make the coconut cake but I did a lot of baking the past two days for a shelter fundraiser that was held today and the coconut was just fine-I made a few batches of my favorite coconut cookies. Thanks for the advice and input!
    Adopt a shelter cat!
    www.arascolorado.org