Community Message Boards

Thread: Meals for a New Mom (Make Ahead)?

Hybrid View

Meals for a New Mom (Make Ahead)?

My best friend just had her 3rd baby. The baby came early and I will be traveling to visit her (with my 2 year old) next week to help out while her DH is at work. I know she made and froze breakfast (waffles, pancakes, etc...) in advance but not sure if prepped dinner.

With four kids in the house next week, I'm thinking that I should start lunch and dinner planning now. Do you recommend anything that I can make in advance (or at least prep) and that would travel well in a cooler over a long car ride? Right now, I'm thinking about a nice big tray of lasagna.
    "Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!"

--Auntie Mame

When I had a baby 2 months ago people brought us brisket and enchiladas. My mom also made quiche and lasagna. For the kids you could do personal pizzas or a pasta bake of some sort. Its very nice of you to help your friend.
    Ashley

The instant we become an adult is the moment when the instinct to love is greater than the desire to be loved

I'm not sure if the search function is working right now, but if it is there are a lot of threads with good suggestions for freezer meals. I think any of those things are the same types of things that would travel well in a cooler.

I'm having surgery next week and will be off my feet for several weeks after that, so just prepped a bunch of meals in advance. We'll be eating a lot of duplicates as I made double (or triple) batches of things to save time, but here is what I made (that I can remember):
    Turkey Chili
    Shepherd's Pie
    Taco Casserole
    Lasagna
    Cheese Manicotti
    Enchiladas
    Chicken Pot Pie
    Chicken Spaghetti
    Chicken and Rice Casserole
    Pecan Crusted Tilapia (I wouldn't try to travel with this )
    Stuffed Pepperoni Bread from Joe's blog (again, not sure how this would travel unless you froze it in advance)

I know your friend will appreciate the help!
    Claire

It doesn't matter what you think, just that you do.

Thanks for your suggestions so far.

Claira--could you post your taco casserole recipe? Also, good luck with your surgery and wishes for a speedy recovery.
    "Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!"

--Auntie Mame

Quote Originally Posted by SPITFIRE View Post
    Thanks for your suggestions so far.

Claira--could you post your taco casserole recipe? Also, good luck with your surgery and wishes for a speedy recovery.
    It's just a made-up thing, but it is really easy, freezes well, and my kids love it so it is a winner at my house. I just make taco meat (I use ground turkey usually but you could use ground beef or even shredded chicken) the way I would for tacos (I use Penzey's taco seasoning). I mix cooked rice (start with about 1 c. raw rice) with a little bit of sour cream (just enough to hold it together) top with the taco meat and then shredded cheese, and bake until heated through. Serve with shredded lettuce and chopped tomatoes. Simple!

Thanks for the good wishes.
    Claire

It doesn't matter what you think, just that you do.

You've gotten some great suggestions - I've been prepping for our 3rd baby, and if you have some favorite soups to add to the freezer mix, that would make a nice change up to the baked pastas. Another recent suggestion is bringing cut-up fruit and veggies - that sounded like a great addition to all the casseroles that people like to prepare. My two kids eat cut-up fruit and veggies as snacks daily, so it would be something to help between meals too.

I've been having a lot of luck lately in freezing unbaked muffins if you'd like to add that to the variety. Mine have been coming out pretty much perfect when cooked 30 minutes at 375 degrees - you'll have to use cupcake liners if you want a shot at getting them out of the muffin tins though. I've been spraying my liners and it's been working really well.

You are such a thoughtful friend! If you think a 9x13 would be two meals for the family, you can also split it into an 8x8 to help with the leftover pasta issues!
    -- Nancy