Community Message Boards

Thread: Help! Peanut Butter Cookie Recipe using no butter?

Help! Peanut Butter Cookie Recipe using no butter?

Help please! I was planning on making some peanut butter cookies for an event tonight and just realized I am out of butter and have no time to run to the store.

Does anyone have a basic peanut butter cookie recipe that doesn't contain butter?

Thanks so much!!

Here's one that uses oil and a cake mix...

Cake Mix Peanut Butter Cookies

Makes 36

Ingredients:

1 (18.5-oz.) pkg. yellow cake mix
    1 cup creamy peanut butter
    1/2 cup vegetable oil
    2 eggs
    2 tablespoons water

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350?F. Pour the cake mix into a large bowl. Make a well in the center, and add peanut butter, oil, eggs, and water. Mix until well blended. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets. Flatten slightly using a fork dipped in water.

Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven. Let cookies set on cookie sheet for 2 to 3 minutes before carefully removing from the cookie sheet to cool on wire racks.

Recipe cdkitchen.com
    kathyb

Less rhetoric, more cowbell!

I have one from Olive Oil Baking by Lisa Sheldon. I haven't tried it yet, but I've had good luck with the other cookie recipes I have tried from this book. It calls for some whole-wheat flour, but I use all white flour for her recipes all the time and it works out great.

Natural Peanut Butter Cookies

1 C all-purpose flour
    1/2 C whole wheat pastry flour
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp salt
    2 eggs
    1 C brown sugar
    3/4 C granulated sugar
    2 tsp vanilla extract
    1/4 C olive oil
    1 C natural peanut butter, creamy or chunky
    1/2 C finely ground peanuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a small bowl, combine the flours, baking soda and salt.

In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugars, and vanilla extract. Stir in the olive oil and peanut butter.

Add the dry ingredients and stir until combined.

Shape the cookies into 1-1 1/2 inch diameter balls. Roll in the prepared ground nuts. (If you prefer the classic fork design to the cookies, flatten the balls first with the tines of a fork dipped in milk.)

Bake for 13-15 min.

Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

Makes 3 dozen cookies
    “the greatest risk of eating is getting run over on the way to buy your food, not from the food itself.”

Ian Shaw, Is It Safe To Eat?

Thumbs up

Both of these are really good.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Peanut Butter Kiss Cookies

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Cookies/Brownies

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    2 cups creamy peanut butter (1 lb. 2 oz. jar)
    1 1/4 cups sugar
    2 large eggs
    36 Hershey kisses (from a 9 oz. bag), approx.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Stir peanut buter, sugar and eggs in a bowl until blended (it will be sticky).

With floured hands (I use a greased cookie scoop), roll slightly heaping tablespoonfuls into 1 1/4 inch balls (they can be bigger). Place 1 1/2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.

Bake 12 to 15 minutes until cookies look dry and tops are crackled (don't over-cook).

Meanwhile, unwrap Hershey's kisses.

Remove from oven and immediately press a Kiss in center of each. Cool on cookie sheet 1 to 2 minutes, then remove to wire racks to cool.

Store airtight in one layer up to 3 weeks. Not that they've ever lasted that long!

Makes 3-4 dozen

NOTES : There is NO flour in this recipe.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Flourless Peanut Butter-Chocolate Chip Cookies

Recipe By :Southern Living
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Cookies/Brownies Dessert

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
    1 cup chunky peanut butter
    1 large egg
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 cup milk chocolate morsels

1. Stir together first 5 ingredients in a medium bowl, using a wooden spoon. Stir in chocolate morsels.

2. Drop cookie dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.

3. Bake at 350° for 12 minutes (I baked them 8 or 9 minutes) or until puffed and golden. (Cookies will be soft in the center.) Cool cookies on baking sheet 5 minutes. Remove to a wire rack.

Flourless Peanutty-Peanut Butter Cookies: Substitute 1 cup coarsely chopped lightly salted peanuts for milk chocolate morsels. Proceed with recipe as directed.

Yield: Makes 1 1/2 dozen

Southern Living, NOVEMBER 2006

NOTES : Delicious! These have basically the same flavor as the Peanut Butter Kiss Cookies that I make. Kyle and I made a double batch of these. In one batch we added chopped up Hershey bars and in the other batch we added 1/2 semi-sweet chocolate chips and 1/2 mini Rolo baking pieces. We used creamy peanut butter instead of chunky and used a full tsp. vanilla. And we didn't bake them as long as the recipe states.
    FYI: 1 jar peanut butter=2 cups

Thank you all for your suggestions! I have all the ingredients on hand for the Cake Mix Peanut Butter Cookies, so I am going to go with that one. Thanks so much Kathy B...you saved the day and I can even use the cake mix that has been sitting in the pantry. I wouldn't have even thought to use it for pbutter cookies.

Thanks again everyone! I am going to print and try them all...butter or not...they all sound great.