Community Message Boards

Thread: Has anyone washed a Dry Clean Only Comforter?

Has anyone washed a Dry Clean Only Comforter?

Yesterday when I took in my comforter to be dry cleaned what normally costs me $10 is now $30. I couldn’t believe it. They offered to wash it for $10 but I would have to sign a waiver freeing them from liability since it’s a dry clean only item.

The comforter is 100% cotton with a 100% polyester fill. Has anyone washed a dry clean only comforter? I’m wondering what will happen to it if I take the risk. When I asked the lady at the dry cleaner she wasn’t very helpful, she said “well anything can happen to it.”

I don't dry clean anything.
    I've always washed comforters and even clothing that says to dry-clean. I've only had 2 bad incidents...and none with a comforter
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

It depends on what kind of cotton your comforter is made of -- The cotton comforters with polyester lining I grew up with had fairly soft outer parts which were much like a sheet so washing certainly didn't have adverse consequences and they were thrown into the wash regularly.

However, one can't wash chintz or other cotton fabrics with a "stiff" or shiny finish as the finish would be gone. Some cotton prints might bleed or fade.

So it really depends on whether your comforters are more like bed linen or more like fancy bed upholstery -- if that makes sense.

A lot of stuff says dry clean only because that is the safest thing for a manufacturer to say even if a product can be washed appropriately -- silk blouses or wool sweaters can be washed (and it's actually better for them to be washed) but the instructions almost always say dry clean only.
    Some days I pray for Silence, Some days I pray for Soul,
    Some days I just pray to the God of Sex and Drums and Rock 'N' Roll.

Meatloaf

in the last few weeks, I've washed my "down alternative" comforter (I would guess it's cotton filled with polyester) and a down filled duvet. Both came through with no problems. I have a front loader that's supposed to have extra-big capacity.
    I used less than the usual amount of detergent, and gave them each an extra turn in the rinse and spin cycles.
    <)>>< Candace ><<)>

I have, and was fortunate that the company was still producing that pattern, as I ruined it by putting it in the dryer. However, I think my problem was that the fabric was not 100% cotton. In fact, it must have had nylon or something in it, because melted fabric did not match my decor at all!

I think you're probably fine with 100% cotton. I've done that before. In fact, I have one that was my 28 y.o. DDs comforter when she was four. We use it as a picnic blanket now, and it has been washed countless times.
    Okay...it's time to pull up your big-girl panties and get on with it. (Seen on a bathroom wall.)

Visit my blogs: Cooking the Books

For recipes only, visit the companion blog: Cooked Up.

I have a word of caution for you. When I was a teenager I washed a comforter in my Mom’s washer and it really messed up the washer. I don’t remember the specifics of the comforter or the washer but it was really bad news for both.
    Beware of the dog and I wouldn't trust the cat either ~ on a sign somewhere

I've washed ours, but it is too big for our washer, I had a small flood once

I take mine to the laundromat and use the huge washing machine there. Much better.
    Carlin

Why not try one of the home dry cleaning kits? Back in March, after the painting was done, I took in 6 short valances and 4 large valances to be dry cleaned, They wanted $10 a valance. The next place wanted $4 a foot. I got the home dry cleaning package and spent $12[?]. I'm going to get another kit and dry clean a bed spread, too.

Vicky

We all have quilts that my mom has made for us. They're cotton with a poly filling. I just take them to the laundromat & throw them in the big front-loading washer, then I bring them home & put them over the clothesline, colored side down so that the fabric doesn't fade.
    Sue

I'm here with my best friend... my fork!! ~ Paula Deen

If you always keep your head up, you'll never find that lucky penny on the sidewalk.