Community Message Boards

Thread: Onion Favs

Smile Onion Favs

Am cooking up some veggies and love the way I begin with the onions:

Olive oil heated in skillet
    Coarsely chopped onion
    Tamari
    Paprika

When I add the onion to the warmed skillet with oil, I also add some tamari and paprika and combine. Then I cover the skillet so as to caramelize the onions, but not completely. Before they are completely done, I add whatever veggies I have on hand - like tonight I am adding chopped yellow squash, zucchini and mushrooms.

So, what's your favorite way to "do" onions?

I like them roasted - slice into quarters or eights, depending on onion size - sprinkle with balsamic vinegar - roast (400 maybe 25 minutes - all depends on what else is in oven and how done you want them).
    Anne

I like them carmelized and served over pasta. Sometimes I add some crushed red pepper and some balsamic vinegar...good veggie meal.

Ultimately, turned into French Onion Soup!
    As a side dish I like balsamic roasted shallots, and for something very straight-forward with roasted chicken, I like small yellow onions roasted in foil pouches with butter, s&p, and dried thyme.
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Love all these ideas!

I LOVE onions. We just got a huge bag of Texas Sweets at Costco on Saturday (and there are only two of us here!). I'm going to book mark this thread and save the recipes to my desktop file. A favorite is French onion soup - we haven't had it lately (not very calorie friendly ). If someone has a tasty recipe for a lighter onion soup I would love to have it.
    Trish N.
    Omaha, NE
    "I'm not as sweet as I used to be" Ouiser Boudreaux - "Steel Magnolias" 1989

~*~balsamic roasted shallots~*~

now that sounds yummy! I love shallots!!

Anyone ever try the Silver Palate Cookbook recipe of Three Onion Casserole? Just smelling it bake is amazing!