Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Make-Ahead Recipes" issue from Cooks Illustrated

"Make-Ahead Recipes" issue from Cooks Illustrated

TestKitchen45 mentioned a chicken and rice casserole yesterday, and when I saw the mag at check-out today, I couldn't resist. I *love* make-ahead, because I mainly enjoy being in the kitchen "chopping things up and throwing them in a pot" as I describe my "technique" . Less interested in sitting down with the final product, so this way I can offload it to someone else or eat it later (I want to cook or I want to eat, but not both).

Anyone else have this? Any reco's? And does anyone else enjoy make-ahead?
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Canice View Post
    TestKitchen45 mentioned a chicken and rice casserole yesterday . . .
    Hi, Canice! < waving > I'll post that recipe when I get it typed up. I don't have the magazine, though, but I've made a few things from the cookbook, CI's The Best Make-Ahead Recipe, and can recommend the book.

I'm with you on the making vs. eating thing. If it takes me too long to make it, I can lose my enthusiasm for the actual meal, b/c with juggling food prep & housecleaning & SAHM stuff, I can get too pooped to care (much ) about dinner. Have to balance the prep time with reality. Love make-ahead b/c you get several meals from one day's work.
    If you're afraid of butter, use cream. ~~ Julia Child

As you cook, you enjoy omniscience about food that no amount of label reading can match. Having retaken control of the meal from the food scientists, you know exactly what is in it. (Unless you start w/cream of mushroom soup, in which case all bets are off.) To reclaim control over one's food, to take it back from industry & science, is no small thing; indeed, in our time, cooking from scratch qualifies as subversive. ~~ Michael Pollan

Hellooooo! So the recipe was from the book, not "Make Ahead" magazine edition? I think it's the same recipe - does it call for a pound of pea and carrot medley and a cup of cream? If so, I've got it - thanks.

Yea, I think that's it: I lose my enthusiasm. The worst for me is cooking for dinner guests - I never really enjoy the meal because I'm so over it .

I have the same book as TK and have made a bunch of recipes from there. I really like that they have the procedures for making big batch things as well as detailed freezing instructions.

I make Tamale Pie at least once a month and often take it to friends who are in need of a meal.

Cheryl

Quote Originally Posted by cchhbb View Post
    I make Tamale Pie at least once a month and often take it to friends who are in need of a meal.

Cheryl
    Could you share? I love any recipe that has tamale in the title.
    Sue

Women are Angels
    And when someone breaks our wings, our spirit, or our hearts...
    We simply continue to fly.........
    on a broomstick...
    We are flexible like that ....

Hellooooo! So the recipe was from the book, not "Make Ahead" magazine edition? I think it's the same recipe - does it call for a pound of pea and carrot medley and a cup of cream? If so, I've got it - thanks.

Yea, I think that's it: I lose my enthusiasm. The worst for me is cooking for dinner guests - I never really enjoy the meal because I'm so over it .
    Same recipe. I'm afraid that once I get it entered into MasterCook, I'm going to shudder at the nutritional content. Maybe I could sub 1/2-&-1/2 for the cream, and lowfat cheddar for the regular . . . but the recipe is so rich & good, and the rice takes on a risotto-like texture, and the chicken cooked in all that good stuff has so much flavor. Hate to ruin it!

Quote Originally Posted by sfarler View Post
    Could you share? I love any recipe that has tamale in the title.
    "Tamale Smoothie"? or "Tamale-Sweetbread Ice Cream"?

As you cook, you enjoy omniscience about food that no amount of label reading can match. Having retaken control of the meal from the food scientists, you know exactly what is in it. (Unless you start w/cream of mushroom soup, in which case all bets are off.) To reclaim control over one's food, to take it back from industry & science, is no small thing; indeed, in our time, cooking from scratch qualifies as subversive. ~~ Michael Pollan

Every time I saw that "Chocolate Sweetbread" thread I got a little shudder

Quote Originally Posted by testkitchen45 View Post
    "Tamale Smoothie"? or "Tamale-Sweetbread Ice Cream"?
    Ok, maybe not ALL recipes, but I do love tamales.
    Sue

Women are Angels
    on a broomstick...

Recipe: Beef tamale pie

• 1 tablespoon vegetable oil

• 1 1/2 pounds (90 percent lean) ground beef

• 1 medium onion, minced

• 1 medium jalapeno chile, seeded, ribs removed and minced

• Salt

• 2 tablespoons chili powder

• 4 medium garlic cloves, peeled and minced

• 1 tablespoon tomato paste

1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano or 1 dried

• 1 teaspoon ground cumin

• 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

• 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes

• 1 (15 1/2-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained

• 1 1/2 cups frozen corn, do not thaw

• 2 cups (8 ounces) Monterey Jack cheese, shredded

• 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro leaves

• 4 teaspoons fresh lime juice

• 2 (6 1/2 to 8 1/2-ounce) boxes of cornbread mix

PREPARATION: Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add beef, breaking up large clumps with a wooden spoon, until it is no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Stir in onion, jalapeno, 1 teaspoon salt, and cook until softened and lightly browned, 7 to 10 minutes. Stir in the chili powder, garlic, tomato paste, oregano, cumin and cayenne and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.

Stir in the diced tomatoes with their juices, scraping up any browned bits. Off the heat, stir in black beans, corn, cheese, cilantro and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper.

Transfer the beef mixture to a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Make cornbread mixes according to the directions on box. Spread the cornbread evenly over the filling, pushing it to the edges of the baking dish.

To store: Wrap the dish tightly with plastic wrap and then foil and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 1 month.

To serve right away: Bake, uncovered, in 375-degree oven for 45 minutes. If frozen, unwrap the dish and let the casserole sit at room temperature for 30 minutes while the oven heats, cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and continue to bake until it is completely heated through and golden, about 50 minutes longer.

Makes 10 servings.

Nutrition information per serving: 586 calories, 26 grams fat, 32 grams protein, 56 grams carbohydrate, 7 grams fiber, 120 milligrams cholesterol, 976 milligrams sodium

I generally make my own cornbread. I just use a standard recipe.

Thanks, cchhbb!

Sounds delicious.
    Sue

Women are Angels
    on a broomstick...

I did buy this issue also. It all looks amazing but I haven't tried any of the recipes yet. The tamale pie looks awesome!

Please post the Chicken and Rice Casserole. Thanks.

Is this the regular issue of the magazine, or is it one of their special issues?

TestKitchen45 mentioned a chicken and rice casserole yesterday, and when I saw the mag at check-out today, I couldn't resist. I *love* make-ahead, because I mainly enjoy being in the kitchen "chopping things up and throwing them in a pot" as I describe my "technique" . Less interested in sitting down with the final product, so this way I can offload it to someone else or eat it later (I want to cook or I want to eat, but not both).

Anyone else have this? Any reco's? And does anyone else enjoy make-ahead?
    I love make-ahead, and I really like CI's special issues. I'll have to look for it when I'm out and about tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by dlaboriel View Post
    Please post the Chicken and Rice Casserole. Thanks.
    I will, as soon as I get it typed up. Might not be for several days b/c of a project I have to do, so watch for either a bump or a new thread.

This is a great thread. Thanks for posting the recipes. Please feel free to post any other winners.
    newcook

OK, I finally took a real look at the Chicken and Rice casserole, and have to ask: how the heck much does this make? Looks like it would, in my dear mother's words, "feed the Mexican army". (Does Mexico have a particularly large army, or are they just especially ravenous?)

2# b/s chicken breasts, 1.5 cups uncooked rice, 6 cups chicken broth + 1 cup cream? I think I'll do a little scaling back!

OK, I finally took a real look at the Chicken and Rice casserole, and have to ask: how the heck much does this make? Looks like it would, in my dear mother's words, "feed the Mexican army". (Does Mexico have a particularly large army, or are they just especially ravenous?)

2# b/s chicken breasts, 1.5 cups uncooked rice, 6 cups chicken broth + 1 cup cream? I think I'll do a little scaling back!
    Don't scale back. Make the whole thing--or double it, even --and freeze it in your correct portion sizes. It's supposed to be make-ahead anyway.

Can't speak to the Mexican army, but I have teenagers, which are about the same thing.

Oh yea. Make-ahead. Thanks. Also, I have new next-door-neighbors: three super sweet and friendly young girls, and I'm meaning to ask them if they have any interest in taking kitchen experiments off my hands. I sure hope so, as it's nice to enjoy the cooking and then know it's going to a good home . Also, rice casseroles are nice because they aren't layered, so it's no big deal to portion them out as you suggested.

I'll be using medium grain brown rice rather than long grain white, so I'll be sure to have extra chicken broth, Just In Case.

The Baked Ziti in the book is my go to recipe. We especially like the version with (turkey) sausage. It makes a ton so I usually do it in 2 pans & freeze one.
    I also got the 30-minute recipe ones and I really like it. It has some techniques that really work well and they really seem to take 30 minutes.
    I am moving and everything is packed or I would post the recipe.
    Good luck,
    Nancy

I'll be using medium grain brown rice rather than long grain white, so I'll be sure to have extra chicken broth, Just In Case.
    Please post back as to how this works. I would recommend using white rice the 1st time, b/c the creamy texture is incredibly good. I'm not sure you'd get that with brown rice.

Yes, I know brown's better for you, but . . .

I'll probably make it next weekend and will be sure to post back! The only rice I use is Massa Organics ; I think it has a much better flavor than white rice, and it really does cook up creamy, though as noted, I will be sure to have extra stock for the increased cooking time.

We just got an upright freezer and I'm excited to do some make ahead meals and store some good meat. I'll have to check into this issue - I'll bet the mag has their most popular recipes from the book. That chicken rice casserole sounds good!
    Once, during prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water. W. C. Fields

Is this a book or a magazine that you can buy at the grocery? Sounds like something I might want.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Donna P View Post
    Is this a book or a magazine that you can buy at the grocery? Sounds like something I might want.
    Thanks.
    There's a book and a magazine. I saw the magazine the other day and was so tempted to buy it, but I think I'm going to hold out and buy the cookbook. I'm assuming the recipes in the magazine are in the cookbook??

is this the book that has the chili mac or is that the casserole book? I love that chili mac recipe and I know it's CI.

J
    "Comfy? I'm chained in a bathtub drinkin' pig's blood from a novelty mug. Doesn't rank huge in the Zagut's Guide."

- Spike, "Something Blue"

My lil site:
    http://greysangel.wordpress.com

The chili-mac is from "Cover and Bake", their casserole book. I've made that several times myself.

Quote Originally Posted by greysangel View Post
    is this the book that has the chili mac or is that the casserole book? I love that chili mac recipe and I know it's CI.

J
    The chili-mac is from "Cover and Bake", their casserole book. I've made that several times myself.
    Have you ever had the chance to compare it to the Chili Mac from CL Annual 1999? The CL c'mac was popular on these boards, I thought, since I got it from here.

I've never made the CL version. I just checked the fabulous recipe finder and only came up with bow ties with chipotles - is is that one?

I've never made the CL version. I just checked the fabulous recipe finder and only came up with bow ties with chipotles - is is that one?
    I always search through Google and here are some results:

This thread has review of chili mac from CL's Superfast Suppers

Chili Mac

1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
    1 pound ground turkey
    1 cup chopped green bell pepper (hmmm knew I forgot something!)
    1 can petite diced tomatoes, undrained
    3 cups CHIPOTLE BLACK BEAN CHILI
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 cup shredded reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese

Cook pasta according to package directions omitting salt and fat.

Cook turkey in a LARGE nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat until browned, stirring to crumble. Remove turkey from pan and drain well.

Add bell pepper to pan, saute 4 minutes or until tender. Return turkey to pan. Add tomatoes, chili and salt; cook over medium heat until hot. (I cooked it down, it was very watery, maybe drain the tomatoes, we like ours thicker) Stir in pasta. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 6 servings (1 1/2 cups serving size)

This thread says help me find chili mac

Chili Mac

1 pound ground round
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    2 cups cooked elbow macaroni (about 4 ounces uncooked)
    1/2 cup water
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1 (14.5-ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
    1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, drained
    1 (8 3/4-ounce) can whole-kernel corn, drained
    1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
    1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
    1 cup (4 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Cook first 4 ingredients in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat until browned, stirring to crumble beef. Drain well; wipe drippings from pan with paper towels. Return beef mixture to pan; stir in macaroni and next 9 ingredients (macaroni through tomato paste). Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Spoon onto each of 8 plates; top with cheese.

Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 cup beef mixture and 2 tablespoons cheese)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
    CALORIES 295 (28% from fat); FAT 9.2g (sat 4.4g, mono 3g, poly 0.8g); PROTEIN 22.6g; CARB 32.5g; FIBER 4.2g; CHOL 50mg; IRON 4.3mg; SODIUM 529mg; CALC 151mg;

Cooking Light, OCTOBER 1998

Several recipes from CL's Superfast Suppers are in this recent post.
    We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
    -M. Acklam

We had the Tamale Pie for dinner this evening. It was really good! I used a Dean and Deluca chili powder spice mix (that has oregano and cumin etc), but I think I should have still added the other spices as well. I also think I didn't add enough garlic, and that would have helped.

Overall it's a keeper for sure! Next time I'll split it into two 8x8, and freeze one for later.