Community Message Boards

Thread: Movies for youth group lock-in, etc.

Movies for youth group lock-in, etc.

Our Youth minister at church is always looking for suggestions for movies to show at youth gatherings, lock-ins, etc.

Basic rules are NO four-letter words, NO adult situations, nudity, etc. (it is, after all, being shown in church to impressible youth who see all the other movies anyway)

He was commenting that it is amazing what words you don't hear in a movie until you are listening for it.

...and it has to appeal to teens....

I was suggesting that CLASSIC movies might fit the bill, but was at a loss of what to suggest.

SO - what classic movies (including 70's, 80's) have your teens enjoyed?

I was thinking that some of the disaster movies and westerns might be fun.

SSM
    Now Robin's Mom too...10/21/02

We watched Apollo 13 last weekend with our 11-year old daughter. I think there was one da*n but otherwise a compelling and educational story.
    Abby

Life is good...wag your tail

The first "classic" movie I thought of is Goonies.

The teen challenge is tough! I'm thinking of the 80's movies, these are the ones I think of, that I know are clean because my parents permitted them, but there may be a word or two... I just don't remember.

Goonies
    The Karate Kid and Karate Kid 2
    The Last Starfighter
    D.A.R.Y.L.
    The Princess Bride
    Space Camp
    The Muppet Movies (might be pushing it, but you never know)
    Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
    Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

I'm food bloggin' almost daily at Tummy Treasure!

I strongly suggest your youth minister fully view the movie first. As parents, we've gotten suckered in a few times by remembering "oh, that was a good movie," & watching it with our kids and having something bad in there that we didn't remember.

Karate Kid is a no-no. We watched it this weekend, in fact--I've never seen it, and DH hasn't seen it since he was a kid--and when the boy gets all mad at his sensei, his flood of bad language is terrible, including G*ddamnit. Not a great candidate for a church group.

I seem to remember a nude-shower scene in Apollo 13, or at least strong hints of what's happening--and to make it worse, I don't think the guy is with his wife. But I could be wrong; it's been a long time since I've seen it.

Sorry that all I can do so far is possibly nix two of the suggestions, but I will give it some more thought! Oh, wait--how about Mystery Science Theatre? We just saw one recently and there was some cornball filler, but the actual smart-aleck commentary on the 1950's-era movie had us all in stitches.

Will try to think of more.
    If you're afraid of butter, use cream. ~~ Julia Child

As you cook, you enjoy omniscience about food that no amount of label reading can match. Having retaken control of the meal from the food scientists, you know exactly what is in it. (Unless you start w/cream of mushroom soup, in which case all bets are off.) To reclaim control over one's food, to take it back from industry & science, is no small thing; indeed, in our time, cooking from scratch qualifies as subversive. ~~ Michael Pollan

Mrs. Waz mention of Princess Bride made me think of Willow. What about Gremlins?
    "Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!"

--Auntie Mame

I'm not sure about language but these were good movies IMHO

Grease
    Pleasantville (good discussion afterwards about what you would have to learn to become colorized)
    Back to the Future
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

That Thing You do

ET

Bride and Prejudice (Bollywood is in right now)

The Sixth Sense
    Visit my blog at http://www.theglobalkitchen.blogspot.com/
    "A gourmet who thinks of calories is like a tart who looks at her watch."

James Beard

Quote Originally Posted by tbb113 View Post
    I'm not sure about language but these were good movies IMHO

Grease
    Rizzo contemplating her unexpected pregnancy, the drinking at the sleepover, the smoking? It's popular, but highly inappropriate.
    --Mary Kate--

"In all our woods there is not a tree so hard to kill as the buckeye. The deepest girdling does not deaden it, and even after it is cut down and worked up into the side of a cabin it will send out young branches, denoting to all the world that Buckeyes are not easily conquered, and could with difficulty be destroyed." - Daniel Drake, 1833

I would check out some of the on-line movie review sites like www.kids-in-mind.com that review movies for content. I have not used this particular site and I am sure there are others like it. In any event, it may be worth it to take a look at this site to get some movie ideas since it is geared for parents who want more info on the content of movies. You can search based on content (i.e. no violence, no profanity, sexual content, etc.)

I just quickly looked through the kids-in-mind site for a movie (I randomly selected The Next Karate Kid) and saw a pretty detailed review with a sex & nuduty, violence and profanity rating.

Quote Originally Posted by MKSquared View Post
    Rizzo contemplating her unexpected pregnancy, the drinking at the sleepover, the smoking? It's popular, but highly inappropriate.
    Although the music is good, I've never liked the "turn into a slut so that you can get the hot guy" story line.

Quote Originally Posted by VAcooker View Post
    I would check out some of the on-line movie review sites like www.kids-in-mind.com that review movies for content.
    Another excellent one is www.pluggedinonline.com. (Unfortunately, The Karate Kid isn't listed there--sometimes the site doesn't have the older movies. Good to know about the other site.)

As you cook, you enjoy omniscience about food that no amount of label reading can match. Having retaken control of the meal from the food scientists, you know exactly what is in it. (Unless you start w/cream of mushroom soup, in which case all bets are off.) To reclaim control over one's food, to take it back from industry & science, is no small thing; indeed, in our time, cooking from scratch qualifies as subversive. ~~ Michael Pollan

If we're talking throwbacks, I've loved Danny Kaye's The Court Jester since I was a kid.
    --Mary Kate--

"In all our woods there is not a tree so hard to kill as the buckeye. The deepest girdling does not deaden it, and even after it is cut down and worked up into the side of a cabin it will send out young branches, denoting to all the world that Buckeyes are not easily conquered, and could with difficulty be destroyed." - Daniel Drake, 1833

Quote Originally Posted by tbb113 View Post
    Pleasantville (good discussion afterwards about what you

As much as I love this movie, I'd have to say it's a poor choice here--lots of teen sex, the daughter explaining sex to the mom and the mom masturbating in the bathtub, and the big naked mural in the soda shop window would all take it out of contention.
    "Don't put all your eggs in one basket.
    Use an egg carton like everyone else and stop being such a poser." - The Little Book of Wrong Shui

What about some fun animated ones like Cars or The Incredibles. Don't forget all the Harry Potter movies.

I watched Grease 6000 times as a kid and loved it. I'm sure I didn't understand most of the adult comments :-) Everyone's parents are different, tho, in terms of what's appropriate.

Ferris Beuller's Day Off is another one that comes to mind.

The Rookie

A Walk to Remember

Also, what about a documentary like the Planet Earth series?

I loved Boy's Town

http://www.boystownmovie.org/
    newcook

Quote Originally Posted by newcook View Post

Rudy's great, but there's more than one curse word in it.
    --Mary Kate--

March of the Penguins

Father of the Bride (original with Spencer Tracy & Elizabeth Taylor)

National Velvet

The Red Pony

Older Disney classics -- the Herbie movies, the original Absent Minded Professor with Fred MacMurray

The Sound of Music -- probably seen too many times already

Quote Originally Posted by testkitchen45 View Post
    I strongly suggest your youth minister fully view the movie first. As parents, we've gotten suckered in a few times by remembering "oh, that was a good movie," & watching it with our kids and having something bad in there that we didn't remember.

Karate Kid is a no-no. We watched it this weekend, in fact--I've never seen it, and DH hasn't seen it since he was a kid--and when the boy gets all mad at his sensei, his flood of bad language is terrible, including G*ddamnit. Not a great candidate for a church group.
    Guess I don't remember that! Here's another parent review site, Parent Previews, but like the others, they don't review many of the classics.

I keep thinking of ideas, but then I'll remember something that it's not such a good idea.
    Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
    Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

I'm food bloggin' almost daily at Tummy Treasure!

My all-time favorite movie resource is the Internet Movie Database. I just checked it out and they have a parents' guide section. For example, this link describes Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

I agree with pre-screen the movies before showing, but you should be able do a pre-pre-screen using this resource. IMDB seems to have almost anything ever filmed!

How about some older Hitchcock suspense films? North by Northwest, Rear Window?
    There cannot be a crisis today. My schedule is already full.
    -Henry Kissinger

kidsinmind.com is a great website--I use it all the time. It tells you exactly what objectionable words or situations are in the movie. I'm not sure how many "oldies" it has in the database, though.

Speaking of oldies, how about Breaking Away?
    Alicia

I teach high school and once in a blue moon, I'll have a chance to show a movie (say, half the class is gone for a field trip or testing or something like that). My HS students love the animated Disney movies, as someone else suggested--Toy Story, Cars, Nemo--you name it.

Another one I would suggest for a church lock-in is "Evan Almighty." It has a great message, even some Biblical references, and really no four-letter words ("pissed," "jackass," "OMG!" being the only ones that come close to being objectionable). I was skeptical before I watched it, thinking it would tend to be sacrilegious, but it wasn't at all.

Others:
    Charlotte's Web (the recent one)
    My Big Fat Greek Wedding
    Fly Away Home
    Father of the Bride

I use commonsensemedia.org to check content before we take our 6-yo DD to any movies.
    "Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you."
    ~Tommy Smothers

The denomination of the church and the predominate political views of its members will often dictate the "appropriateness" of a movie. I was raised Southern Baptist. Hollywood and the movies it produced were "of the devil", so movies were hardly ever shown at the church. The movie ET was a huge No, No. Wildly popular, and rather "tame" movies like Shawshank Redemption were often "trashed" by church leaders simply because some of the actors in the movie supported liberal causes.

Love Comes Softly series - Directed by Michael Landon, Jr. Entertaining for adults, suitable for children.
    (Based on 8 books by Janette Oke. available on DVD.)

Follows the lives of one family through three generations--beginning with a hated "marriage of convenience," through hardships common to life on the prairie in an earlier time, leading at last to an abiding love."

Love Comes Softly,
    Love's Enduring Promise,
    Love's Long Journey,
    Love's Abiding Joy,
    Love's Unending Legacy,
    Love's Unfolding Dream,
    Love Takes Wing,
    Love Finds a Home,
    The cardiologist's diet: - If it tastes good spit it out!

What about The Hobbit? It's a cartoon (and leaves out quite a few things that are in the book) but since LOTR was popular so recently it might be well-received.

This one has horrid special-effects but was only PG, I think: Clash of the Titans. It's a good story, no language/sex (I don't think) and might be good for a laugh about how bad special effects were at one time. Plus...I think someone is re-doing it so it might be out again soon.
    Silly is you in a natural state, and serious is something you have to do until you can get silly again.
    Mike Myers

Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color...choosing your socks by their character makes no sense and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable. anon

Interesting stuff here. Thanks!

We are Episcopalian..

The youth leader was commenting yesterday that for a while, movie selection was easy because there were so many fantasy/Scifi movies out with Harry Potter and LOTR series.

I like the Hitchcock idea - particularly for sleepovers.

I will send these suggestions to him - keep them coming...

Interesting that they still love the animated classics. I was also thinking about some of the old Hanna Barbara cartoons.

Any funny clean/Christian comics out there that they would enjoy? I have seen one video with a friend, but I don't remember who was on it besides Victoria Jackson.

SSM
    Now Robin's Mom too...10/21/02

Quote Originally Posted by MinEaston View Post
    How about some older Hitchcock suspense films? North by Northwest, Rear Window?
    This is what I was thinking, too. Great stuff!! There's a reason these are classics. You'd still want to prescreen, but for high-schoolers you should be fine--esp. if the movies are old enough that they're still in black & white. Check out not just Hitchcock, but do searches by actor: James Stewart, Gregory Peck, Grace Kelly, Humphrey Bogart (but not with Bacall; I hated a few of those & felt like I was watching a pseudo-marital spat a little too closely).

Quote Originally Posted by ___Rhianna___ View Post
    Another one I would suggest for a church lock-in is "Evan Almighty." It has a great message, even some Biblical references, and really no four-letter words ("pissed," "jackass," "OMG!" being the only ones that come close to being objectionable). I was skeptical before I watched it, thinking it would tend to be sacrilegious, but it wasn't at all.

Others:
    Charlotte's Web (the recent one)
    My Big Fat Greek Wedding
    Fly Away Home
    Father of the Bride

I use commonsensemedia.org to check content before we take our 6-yo DD to any movies.
    Disclaimer: I have not seen Evan Almighty. But I bet a church lock-in would frown more on OMG than on other crude language. Might be something to think about. Ditto for Greek Wedding; I think this movie is hilarious but I doubt a church would want a movie where the gal obviously will sleep with the guy b4 marriage. Just food for thought. I think the recent Charlotte's Web is wonderful; not just a kid flick. Can't remember much of FOTB.

One movie I just thought of is Dave--I adore this movie, but the scene towards the start, where the secretary is on top of the Pres and it's not a policy meeting , is probably not church-friendly (the later shower scene, which shows nothing, is at least an accidental encounter).

Quote Originally Posted by Gumbeaux View Post
    The denomination of the church and the predominate political views of its members will often dictate the "appropriateness" of a movie. I was raised Southern Baptist. Hollywood and the movies it produced were "of the devil", so movies were hardly ever shown at the church. The movie ET was a huge No, No. Wildly popular, and rather "tame" movies like Shawshank Redemption were often "trashed" by church leaders simply because some of the actors in the movie supported liberal causes.
    If we all did that, we'd never go see anything.

Hollysmom, it might be helpful if you'd be willing to divulge which church--more to the point, to share how conservative this church is. (ETA, now that I've hit "submit reply": I guess you just did.) Even w/in one denomination, churches are so different. Not all Southern Baptists, for ex--even very conservative ones--are as tightly wound as the one Gumbeaux experienced. In general, I would think a religious group would be very concerned with God-related profanity, drug use, and sexuality, and less concerned with various other situations or crude language. But you never know.

ETA: You asked about Christian comics. Tim Hawkins is a scream, and his stuff is on DVD. Here's a YouTube link to one of his songs--"Things You Shouldn't Say to Your Wife." Enjoy! He has funny sketches on parenting, holding hands, and all sorts of topics--just search YouTube. The wife song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IR5H...eature=related

Here's one where he makes fun of boy bands, in a song about dating (or not): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akZ-edeKDXs&NR=1

And a very funny take on the song, "Imagine": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_pzd...eature=related

Or a Bible verse gone wrong: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jdWH...eature=related
    Last edited by testkitchen45; 04-27-2009 at 02:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by testkitchen45 View Post
    Ditto for Greek Wedding; I think this movie is hilarious but I doubt a church would want a movie where the gal obviously will sleep with the guy b4 marriage. Just food for thought.
    It's been awhile since I saw the movie (and I just remember liking it and thinking it was family friendly), but I forgot about that part. I checked it out on Common Sense Media and it indicated no sex scenes so I didn't think about it.
    "Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you."
    ~Tommy Smothers

Hoping this are appropriate...October Sky, Paulie, Indian in the Cupboard, and the Wallace and Gromit shorts.
    "A person's a person no matter how small." Horton

Guess my temple (and reform Judiasm) is much more liberal. Alex told me that the movie they were watching Saturday night in Israel was The 40 Year Old Virgin (The group is with is primarily HS Juniors, a few sophmores/seniors). And I know the HS youth group has been shown how to put condoms on bananas.

Depending on your definition, many classic movies have adult situations/themes. The rating system wasn't implemented until 1966!

I think your minister has a tough job ahead of him!
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?