Community Message Boards

Thread: Stains Inside My Tin-Lined Copper Pots?

Unhappy Stains Inside My Tin-Lined Copper Pots?

Help! I think I'm afraid of my cookware...

Does anyone have experience with copper pots lined with tin? I have a wonderful set of cooper purchased as a gift. Every time I use them, I notice some white staining on the inside (tin lining). I am very careful to keep my heat level low. Tonight, I used my stockpot and now have severe staining on the inside. I was told that using a small amount of Barkeepers Friend helps in cleaning but no luck. Have I ruined my pans? A quick google search has told me that tin stains easily (hence the difference between pans lined with "stainless" steel.

I also found a tip on line that recommends boiling water with baking soda to clean tin (see below). Has anyone tried that? I look forward to any advice. TIA!

How to Clean the Tin-Lined Interior of a Copper Pot
    Tin is a very soft metal and needs to be cleaned carefully and gently. Never use any abrasive cleaners or cleaning pads that are more abrasive than a light-duty white nylon pad. Generally, you can clean the interior of a copper pot simply with warm, soapy water. For more difficult jobs:
    Fill the pot with a mixture of 1 cup water to 2 tablespoons baking soda.
    Put the pot on the stove top and bring it to a boil.
    Turn off the heat and let the pot soak for an hour.
    Scrub the interior of the pot with a sponge, dish cloth, or (if the food stains are really stubborn) a white, light-duty nylon pad.
    "Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!"

--Auntie Mame

That is one of the (several) reasons I don't own copper cookware. It's too much of a pain to keep clean! Are you cooking acidic foods in your pots? I know that can discolor them quickly.

I have heard that vinegar and course salt can be used to clean them, but since I don't own any copper/tin pots myself, I've never tried this.

Hope this helps!
    Eat to live but do not live to eat

Thanks for the reply, Foodeater! I didn't cook anything acidic in the stock-pot last night--just a simple chicken and rice dish. I called a local shop that does tin re-lining this a.m. for advice. They said that it might be hard water stains. We have very hard water (we've replaced two kitchen faucets in 3 years) so that might be the culprit. I let the pot soak in soapy water for about 2 hours last night before finally cleaning it out (we had an unexpected guest).

The kitchen shop said that there should be no damage to the tin from a cooking perspective but it just looks so unsightly. Maybe I will try the baking soda technique. Sigh... If anyone has any more ideas, keep them coming. Thanks.
    "Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!"

--Auntie Mame