Community Message Boards

Thread: Bedskirts for Short Box Springs?

Bedskirts for Short Box Springs?

Dumb question #2 of the day (see thread on my MS Outlook befuddlement if you want to know what the other one is).

Last year we replaced the mattress sets in both our master and guest bedrooms with new ones and in doing so entered the 21st century acquiring those newfangled 'short' box springs. What are they? About 5-7"? What's driving me crazy now is that my bedskirt is trailing on the floor. For one of the beds I got those little plastic risers that you put under the feet so that you raise the entire bed up a few inches and that took care of one of the beds but for the other, due to the way the bed is constructed, that solution won't work.

Do they make bedskirts designed to remedy this issue does anyone know? I've looked in brick and mortar stores to no avail and am not even sure how I would phrase a google search for such a creature. And sewing is OUT!

TIA!
    Linda

When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left and I could say “I used everything you gave me.”

Erma Bombeck

My son has a low profile box, but no skirt. I had never thought about that problem until we recently moved my mom and got the low profile box to go under her very thick mattress. The skirt trailed under the floor, but it helped cover the twin XL length, so I just arranged it to ease the little bit of extra across the width of the bed. That worked for us and a gathered skirt, but I doubt it would work as well for a tailored skirt or a mattress that might need to be turned or moved more.

I haven't seen any low profile skirts == so out of curiosity, I just did a quick google search (low profile bedskirt or low profile dust ruffle) and found one site offering custom sewing and a Wikianswer that said it was impossible - they'd been looking for 6 years. I think the low profiles are popular with the wood side frames and a skirtless look, so maybe there hasn't been a lot of demand. Good luck, and let us know what you find. I'm hoping to get a new mattress this summer and will have the same issue unless we get a new frame.

You could shorten it without sewing. There are a lot of fusibles on the market that work very well. My personal favorite is caled "Steam a Seam," but "Heat n Bond" is a good one, too. There are also fabric glues that go through the wash.
    Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference.

That's a practical approach.

I'm laughing at myself because I didn't think to do anything other than tuck. We weren't at home and needed a "now" solution, but yours would be pretty quick. Probably best for tailored skirts -- ruffled might not fall well with added bulk at the bottom.

You could also call a tailor and see what they would charge to run a hem -- they can probably offer you hand or machine options.

Quote Originally Posted by Goin' Coastal View Post
    You could shorten it without sewing. There are a lot of fusibles on the market that work very well. My personal favorite is caled "Steam a Seam," but "Heat n Bond" is a good one, too. There are also fabric glues that go through the wash.
    This would be excellent advice if it weren't directed at someone whose taken 10 years (and counting) to finish a Christmas tree skirt (no kidding, it's the family joke every December when the skirt, dangling it's trim still attached with straight pins, comes out of the storage bin). The bedskirt is pleated all the way around too so I wouldn't trust myself to get it right even if I was crazy enough to attempt it. Like Beth I've been tucking it or just trying (and failing) to get used to a 'puddling' effect.

I'm really surprised that these aren't being made given the prevalance of the new short box springs. Maybe they aren't as popular as I thought? I figured they were the new standard because mattresses are so much thicker but maybe most people buy a standard box spring along with a ladder to get into bed.

I guess I'm going to have to determine how many inches it has to be taken up and then take it to the tailor.

Thanks ladies!
    Linda

When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left and I could say “I used everything you gave me.”

Erma Bombeck

Have you looked at www.companystore.com? Their bedskirts come in different drop lengths--they're the only place I can think of that has different lengths, although they still may be too long.

mlynn

I've been looking for a bedskirt and I have a low profile box spring but it never occurred to me until I saw this thread that I would have to take the height into consideration! I'm glad I have a "heads up" now.

I've done this before and it worked just fine:
    Using safety pins, pin the top of one side of the skirt onto the box springs so the bottom falls where you want it to hit the floor (so if it's two inches too long, pin the top of the skirt two inches away from the edge going toward the the middle of the box spring. Do each of the two long sides first (one at a time). This will leave a bulk of fabric on the decking of the bed skirt. Fold and pin the surplus to the box spring to make it more secure. Do the same for the foot of the bed.

Maybe this will work in your situation.

Quote Originally Posted by laden View Post
    I've done this before and it worked just fine:
    Using safety pins, pin the top of one side of the skirt onto the box springs so the bottom falls where you want it to hit the floor (so if it's two inches too long, pin the top of the skirt two inches away from the edge going toward the the middle of the box spring. Do each of the two long sides first (one at a time). This will leave a bulk of fabric on the decking of the bed skirt. Fold and pin the surplus to the box spring to make it more secure. Do the same for the foot of the bed.

Maybe this will work in your situation.
    laden...lol...this is a brilliant idea!
    Linda

Erma Bombeck

I recently put together and antique bed and found that the frame is both low to the ground and a box spring would not fit in it since the sizes have apparently changed and they are now about 2" too wide. I had to skip the box, put the skirt over the top of a plywood deck, adjust it up over the deck -- and thought of this thread as I was doing it.